inTank Media Baskets

MarvinsReef Zoas Dominated Reef....

MarvinsReef

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love your tank so much.

I've read a lot of your thread but can't remember seeing anything about what you do for calcium / alkalinity. Do you use two part / have a reactor in your sump?

Also, do you use a protein skimmer?

Sorry if you've already answered this earlier in the thread.

Thank you... :)

for Ca/Alk, I use ESV 2 part... I also dose ESV Mg every so often or when I remember... I will be trying the Kent products since they're more available on our LFS... the ESV, I have to order online all the time... for skimming, I have the Tunze Nano 9002 skimmer.. it does an okay job... hope this helps... :)

WOW!!!

If you ever frag those blastos, please let me know! :D

:)

Thanks Jon... I'll keep you posted... I heard they are one of the slowest growing LPS....

Wow MarvinsReef, you just make me wet my keyboard!!! :angry:

Why is your corals always so nice -_- I'm jealous. :P

Yah, your corals, frags, and your tank are all beautiful! :happy:

er1c_the_reefer
lastly, growth shot of Original Mummy Eye

07-09-08

07-09-08_Mummy.jpg

11-20-08

11-20-08_OME.jpg

you get that much growth in 4-5 months? what are you dosing, steroids and growth hormones? teach me!

• 2 weeks later...
Wow. This tank is a treasure chest!

So beautiful!!! not only the tank itself but your photos are awesome. What settings do you use to get such crystal clear photos. I have a canon g-9 camera that I know has the ability to get crsystal pics, but I cannot figure out how to get the depth of clarity you have?

I'm very very sorry for responding late on some of these but I guess better late than never.... :)

Wow MarvinsReef, you just make me wet my keyboard!!! :angry:

Why is your corals always so nice -_- I'm jealous. :P

Yah, your corals, frags, and your tank are all beautiful! :happy:

Thank you j'field... you're tank is one of my favorites as well... thanks for stopping by...

you get that much growth in 4-5 months? what are you dosing, steroids and growth hormones? teach me!

Hi Eric... I recently started dosing ESV 2 part and their Mg supplements... they seem to be doing a great job keeping up with the LPS in the tank.. I hope to get more coralline growth too... it's much more natural seeing purple LR... yeah, the Mummy Eye was a birthday present for myself... it's always been a good grower for me... on the other hand, the Tyree Pink is a PITA... ;)

Thanks! You are such a good photographer -- I love this thread mostly because of all the great pictures.

Nice work man you have a beautiful display

your tank is SICK

love the video of the clowns! :D

Thanks guys... :)

Wow. This tank is a treasure chest!

hey buddy, thanks for stopping by... the monti and mushroom tanks are awesome!!! keep up the great job... lots of work to do still but I'm glad to find an aquascape that's much cleaner than my previous ones...

So beautiful!!! not only the tank itself but your photos are awesome. What settings do you use to get such crystal clear photos. I have a canon g-9 camera that I know has the ability to get crsystal pics, but I cannot figure out how to get the depth of clarity you have?

Thank you... the camera I use is a Canon PNS PowerShot SD800 IS.. I use the Auto mode and use the timer... I also use IrfanView to crop and take out the blue from the 20k Radium.. good luck with your Canon g-9... :)

here's some actinic vids... I thought it'll catch the colors better but some of the corals didn't turn out as bright under the purple actinic PC's... LoLz.. someday, I'll have a T-5 set up that will totally show the awesome colors of these corals... :)

th_12-09-08Act1.jpg

ciao!!! snack time w/ frozen cyclopeeze....

th_12-09-08Act2.jpg

per some people's request...:)

I tried my best to label the corals but I cannot fit some of them so this will have to do for now... :)

Marvin_12-09-08.jpg

Fish List:

- Trio of HI Flame wrasses

- Pair of Picasso clownfishes

- Helfrich's firefish

Hi Marvin,

I've wanted a small reef tank for the past dozen years or so and am finally at a point where I'm ready to take the plunge. I've spent countless hours trying to decide what to put in it and this thread has really inspired me. I've decided to go with the 28g JBJ HQI as well and judging by your success it's a great choice.

Is this still your equipment list?

Tank: 28g JBJ w/ NanoTuners upgrade

Lighting: 150w MH DE (20k Radium bulb); (2) 18w PC actinics; (4) Moonlights

Skimmer: Tunze Nano DOC 9002

Fuge: AquaFuge Medium size w/ chaeto

Controller: Neptune AC JR

Top Off: Tunze Osmolator

Chiller: JBJ 1/15 HP

I'll be using it as a shopping list, so anything you folks can add or subtract would be really helpful.

I've spent the last few days poking around aquarium stores here in the Los Angeles area and I'm having a hard time finding someone willing to 'hold my hand' through the process.

Thanks very much,

Jeff

Hi Marvin,

I've wanted a small reef tank for the past dozen years or so and am finally at a point where I'm ready to take the plunge. I've spent countless hours trying to decide what to put in it and this thread has really inspired me. I've decided to go with the 28g JBJ HQI as well and judging by your success it's a great choice.

Is this still your equipment list?

Tank: 28g JBJ w/ NanoTuners upgrade

Lighting: 150w MH DE (20k Radium bulb); (2) 18w PC actinics; (4) Moonlights

Skimmer: Tunze Nano DOC 9002

Fuge: AquaFuge Medium size w/ chaeto

Controller: Neptune AC JR

Top Off: Tunze Osmolator

Chiller: JBJ 1/15 HP

I'll be using it as a shopping list, so anything you folks can add or subtract would be really helpful.

I've spent the last few days poking around aquarium stores here in the Los Angeles area and I'm having a hard time finding someone willing to 'hold my hand' through the process.

Thanks very much,

Jeff

Hi Jeff... thanks a bunch for the kind remarks... :)

yes, that's the set up I'm running currently... but if I had to do it again, I would go with a 32g breeder again, just like my old one w/ better stand and canopy than I had before... it has better dimensions and you can customize the lighting better... I would go with 250w SE MH w/ Radium bulb and (4) 24" 24w T'5... I guess it really depends on what you plan on keeping... also, I added the Vortech MP40 in exchange of the Koralia's I was using... don't get me wrong, the 28g JBJ HQI w/ NanoTuners upgrade is still a great set up but I really like the dimensions of my old 32g (24" x 18" x 18")...

anyway, good luck with your set up... thanks again for stopping by... :)

Thanks for the input.

Another quick question. I can't help but notice that your zoas don't spread like I'd think they would. Is that because you frag them or do they just not spread when they reach another zoa colony?

Sorry for the stupid question!

Thanks for the input.

Another quick question. I can't help but notice that your zoas don't spread like I'd think they would. Is that because you frag them or do they just not spread when they reach another zoa colony?

Sorry for the stupid question!

great question actually... due to the smaller size of the tank, I find myself having a frag session at least every quarter to keep up with the growth... normally, it takes 3-5 weeks for the new frag or newly fragged colony to settle before it starts growing again... some grow faster than others... this is the first time I glued smaller frags to the rockwork... I normally had larger rocks for frags to grow into but this time, I'm growing some morphs on the main rockwork...

zoas do compete against each other when there's no more room to grow and the more dominant one takes over... and sooner or later overpower the weaker morph... to combat that, I'm setting up my 12g JBJ as a grow out tank... :)

tank looks like crap as usual bro ;)

how've you been?

Thanks Ez... :)

I've been pretty busy with the little one but enjoying every minute of it... I just started going to work more often and man, it's a little tougher than I thought... I'm working 4-5 days again, compared to 2-3 days before...

Marvin,

Half sorry for the PM. If I read your thread I would of found half the information I'm looking for.

Clearly you got your Snowcasso ... and he looks quite happy!

I Guess my only question is where you keep your skimmer? In one of the back chambers, or in the aquafuge. I searched through a few pages, but didn't see any info or pics.

Beautiful tank!!!

Thanks for any info you can provide.... ;)

Marvin,

Half sorry for the PM. If I read your thread I would of found half the information I'm looking for.

Clearly you got your Snowcasso ... and he looks quite happy!

I Guess my only question is where you keep your skimmer? In one of the back chambers, or in the aquafuge. I searched through a few pages, but didn't see any info or pics.

Beautiful tank!!!

Thanks for any info you can provide.... ;)

Hi Cole... thanks for stopping by... :)

the Tunze skimmer is on the fuge... I will try to take a pic of the fuge when I get a chance... but there's really only one spot to put the skimmer, which is the section next to the return overflow of the fuge...

Archived