ReefCleaners.org

Your Metal Halide Questions Answered

RBuddha

I'm looking to possibly get a MH light for my 10g AIO. I want to know if a 150w will be too much or if a 70w will leave me disappointed. I'm hoping to upgrade to a 20L or 29g in a year or so after I get this tank up and full of coral, SO I don't want to waste some money on a 70w right now if I can spend an extra $10-20 and get 150.

Yea, I looked at Nazars boxes. He does some damn good work. I wanted to put a JL 6W3V3 back there but im just not sure if sub will fit. Dont know if its too deep for the box. I just dont want it sticking up. I want it to fit as stock as possible in that stock box. Ill ask him though.

Yea post more pics of your work when you can. Is it a PITA working with fiberglass?

• 3 weeks later...
I should be receiving a Radium 150w 20k to replace a stock bulb on my sunpod 20" anyday now. I'll update with pics and info when I get it installed.

What is normal 'burn-in' for a new bulb? As of now, first lighting of my Radium 20k the water looks extremely greenish yellow.

Here's a pic, tank still looks very green and not 'blue'. Not what I expected at all...

IMG_2176.jpg

If I get a 21" deep tank, would a 150 watt metal halide bulb with 2 T5 bulbs to supplement be enough? I want to be able to keep all of the SPS species.

Edited by Nemo Niblets
Wow. :blink: That's pretty green. How many days and how many hours per day has it been running?

omg thats reallllly green. i dont think 20ks are suppose to look like that?

what is going on there?

Yes the appearance is very green, but I noticed it does seem to be lighter green this week.

The bulb is on for five hours a day now moving to 7 hours a day.

I would think the burn in should be well on its way...I'll update as time passes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I knew there was another reason i went the Phoenix in the first place....price :o

Thanks for the link though

PS. Just saw at marine depot the Phoenix DE 150W is on sale for $49!!

Edited by fsu1dolfan
I want a bulb bluer than the phoenix. From what I've read the Radium isn't much bluer. What can I get?

XM 20K. SPS 20K. Geismann Mega Chrome 21K.

Edited by Paleoreef103
  • 1 month later...

Not usually, but let it run for a few hours and see if it stops. If it doesn't, check all the contact point on the bulb and the socket for corrosion.

Not usually, but let it run for a few hours and see if it stops. If it doesn't, check all the contact point on the bulb and the socket for corrosion.

Its a brand new fixture and bulb