inTank Media Baskets

Your Metal Halide Questions Answered

RBuddha

• 2 weeks later...

whats better to use for my 30g tall reef (sps, lps, zoas, leather, etc.)

1. radium DE 20k

2. jbj DE 10k with 2x65 pc actinics

option 2 is my current set-up. i want to switch to 1 because of 2 reasons: more open space on the top, and less less heat. the radium 20k has more blue so i thought it could cover the actinics. what you guys think?

HecticDialectics
whats better to use for my 30g tall reef (sps, lps, zoas, leather, etc.)

1. radium DE 20k

2. jbj DE 10k with 2x65 pc actinics

option 2 is my current set-up. i want to switch to 1 because of 2 reasons: more open space on the top, and less less heat. the radium 20k has more blue so i thought it could cover the actinics. what you guys think?

What wattage? 250W, you can probably go either way. 150W, and definitely number 2. A 30g too tall for a 150W radium to be very much good at all. It has a higher percentage of blue, but a 20k radium has like half as much overal light intensity as a 10k...

That ebay model seems kind of shady with no mention of the type of ballast. T5s and MH are very close in lighting with benefits on both ends. I would highly suggest all newbies to read this article that discusses the various light sources and the basics of light itself:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-12/newbie/index.php

Hey thanks for that article. I was looking at the Gallileo LED system and the Solaris. Expensive, but considering it. Specially, regarding the life of MH vs Led. If MH changed every 8 months at $80 X 2= $160 ( would have 2 lamp for my canopy size) , the LED are good for 50 000 hours about 5 years. They also pose no heat problems, so no chiller needed. Anyway was wandering if you red any article about their performances.

I remember when the Solaris was coming out, and it still is way too expensive for me. Basically, they are good, from the few tanks I've seen, but I think the price will lower as LEDs start to get used in the wider commercial market. I can't remember any specific articles, but I'm sure you can do a search for threads on this site of many discussions on LEDs.

• 2 weeks later...

I am just wondering if a single 150 watt bulb over a 20g long would cover enough of the tank.

I am in the process of setting up one now but it just doesn't seem like a clip on fixture or a sunpod would cover enough of the tank with 1 single bulb. I am shooting to grow SPS so I am looking for any lighting recommendations.

I am just wondering if a single 150 watt bulb over a 20g long would cover enough of the tank.

I am in the process of setting up one now but it just doesn't seem like a clip on fixture or a sunpod would cover enough of the tank with 1 single bulb. I am shooting to grow SPS so I am looking for any lighting recommendations.

I have a 150w halide over my 20L in a canopy. It lights up every inch. It's about 6" over the water. If you do go the canopy route, you can always supplement with T5 lights too. Lots of options out there.

I have a few pieces of SPS and they're growing like weeds.

• 1 month later...

I have a 20k 150w on my tank right now but feel like it is too blue esp. with two pc actinics so i had to put in a 10k pc to make it not so blue my question is i have read that the 14k doesn't have as much par as a 20 or 10k, also do the different k's 10 14 20 burn hotter because heat is an issue i have the nano customs 150w upgrade and i don't want to melt the plastic splash guard or anything right now my water temps have always been perfect but i think i want to get a different bulb any suggestions? Thanks!

• 2 months later...
I have a 150w halide over my 20L in a canopy. It lights up every inch. It's about 6" over the water. If you do go the canopy route, you can always supplement with T5 lights too. Lots of options out there.

I have a few pieces of SPS and they're growing like weeds.

When you say 6" over the water, do you mean the bulb itself, or the bottom of the canopy? Also what K rating is your 150 MH?

Your setup sounds close to what I have planned!

Question for the seasoned veteran:

Is a 70w 14000K Metal Halide pendant over a 10 gallon AGA too much? All softies in the tank right now but I have the intent of adding SPS and other light-loving corals. Thanks in advance.

Edited by aretoorow

GREAT Thread.

Let me know if this is a good plan or not.

I have a 92 Gallon Corner Bowfront, and am doing a DIY lighting setup and this is what I was looking at.

2 - 250 DE HQI with electronic Ballast's and hung from 12 to 8 inches above the water.

2 - 36" Actinic's T5HO looking at 39W

2 - 24" Actinic's T5HO looking at 24W

Then just the various Moonlights.

Does this sound like a "good" setup or do you think it is too much? Any help would be great.

GREAT Thread.

Let me know if this is a good plan or not.

I have a 92 Gallon Corner Bowfront, and am doing a DIY lighting setup and this is what I was looking at.

2 - 250 DE HQI with electronic Ballast's and hung from 12 to 8 inches above the water.

2 - 36" Actinic's T5HO looking at 39W

2 - 24" Actinic's T5HO looking at 24W

Then just the various Moonlights.

Does this sound like a "good" setup or do you think it is too much? Any help would be great.

Sounds like plenty. Make sure you get good reflectors for the T5's.

OK. So I'm getting sick of my Viper K2. I'd like to increase the output of the light and increase the spread of the light too. I was looking at various new reflectors, but was wondering if I'd have to get a new ballast for it. I was looking at a few different reflectors and was wondering if they were compatable and if they'd give me the evenness I'm looking for. ( I think the Viper has a crappy reflector and it isn't very good at distributing my lights. It's point lighting that doesn't have the reflector to spread out the love.) Firstly, this one http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage..._reflector.html The lumen max 3 at the bottom. Anyone have one?

Also this one http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~act...es~vendor~.html It's a bit cheaper but still seems like a much better reflector.

Are both of these compatable with the Magnetic ballast used by the Viper? OR would I have to upgrade to a Icecap. The Magnetic ballast is good enough to light a phoenix bulb so I'm not in a hurry to replace it.

Alternatively, I might get a 18" Nova Extreme SLR for supplement. What do you think? Should I get a new reflector? Can I get a compatable one? Or should I bite the bullet and get a 250 like a reefstar? I'm kind loathe to do this for at least another 7 months as I have an extra phoenix 14K bulb and will soon be popping the question and don't want to drop the extra 200 dollars to get a reflector and a ballast.

I am looking into getting the current outer orbit this week for my aquapod 24. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should go with the 150 or 250 mh. I like the deeper blue color so more than likely I will be getting a 14k bulb 20k is to blue for me. But I am not sure if the 250 will be to bright. Any suggestions on which I should purchase?

What would be a good set of Metal Halide System at a bargain price?

I saw an Odyssea 250 W Single-Ended Metal Halide 15000 K for 139...good bargain? bad product? opinions please.....

I am new to the hobby and just purchased a 34g Solana. Not caring for the disco ball I decided to go with a 20" Sunpod 150w 14k HQI. I recently saw PodRod's Solana and as I learn more and more I eventually would like to have a similar system. She has the 250w and was wondering if I should have gone with that vs the 150w?

Thanks!

It hasn't been posted, but depth has a lot to do with the wattage and K temp selection for the bulb and tank.

if someone wiser then me knows the penetration for each bracket of wattage it would not only help me but future posters on this thread

The Propagator

Do 250 watt DE bulbs require a higher range of constant voltage from the socket to the ballast to run the bulb at normal kelvins / PAR then SE ?

Mine dims and goes purplish yellow ( brand new dual 250 watt electronic coral vue ballast ) when the voltage drops below 118.7. ( on a separate circuit that was newly wired in two weeks ago by a professional I trust.