SaltCritters.com

Your Metal Halide Questions Answered

RBuddha

Reef Chicks

What is the smallest tank that a 70w MH can be installed in?

I have a 2.5 gallon with a custom wood canopy and I was thinking of installing it there and making it a clam tank. Aside from heat issues, which I plan to battle with the use of several fans, is there anything else I should be concerned about?

I also have a 3.5 gallon TruView tank, that I would rather put the MH in, but the canopy is acrylic and I am afraid the heat will melt it.

Any thoughts? Opinions?

whats your thoughts on lighting for my 40 breeder (see signature) which will be mostly SPS.

2 250's se

2 175's se

both will have actinic vho 4 bulbs on a new IC660

Sounds like enough to me. I personally dont like SE bulbs just because DE can do the same thing better but its all personal choice. Nice avatar btw, hypnotic.

What is the smallest tank that a 70w MH can be installed in?

I have a 2.5 gallon with a custom wood canopy and I was thinking of installing it there and making it a clam tank. Aside from heat issues, which I plan to battle with the use of several fans, is there anything else I should be concerned about?

I also have a 3.5 gallon TruView tank, that I would rather put the MH in, but the canopy is acrylic and I am afraid the heat will melt it.

Any thoughts? Opinions?

You'll find the heat issue is more than just fans. On a tank that small you'll be battle evaporation problems and sure it "can" be done but the question remains "should" it be done. In my opinion it seems like overkill for a tank that small but if you do plan to run a 70w on a 2.5 you'll need to keep it a good distance above the water, 2-3 feet probably.

For the 3.5 gallon its probably a better option for that halide. Metal Halide wont melt it but it can warp it. Also keep in mind that you would be better off using glass due to the UV transmissions of that bulb.

Reef Chicks

I ended up putting 2 x 18w pc in the 2.5 gallon pico and attaching 2 fans: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=149946&hl=

I modded the 70w mh into the canopy of the 3.5 gallon. Masha_1 suggested I use the metal casing from a halogen flood lamp, which I did. I retro'd the lamp into that, attached 2 pieces of UV glass under it as well as a piece of acrylic about 0.25" thick. It looks great - all concealed under the canopy! I am also running a fan back there. I did this all last night, so I have one more thing to do - drill a couple of holes in each side of the canopy and in the front for ventilation.

I ended up putting 2 x 18w pc in the 2.5 gallon pico and attaching 2 fans: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=149946&hl=

I modded the 70w mh into the canopy of the 3.5 gallon. Masha_1 suggested I use the metal casing from a halogen flood lamp, which I did. I retro'd the lamp into that, attached 2 pieces of UV glass under it as well as a piece of acrylic about 0.25" thick. It looks great - all concealed under the canopy! I am also running a fan back there. I did this all last night, so I have one more thing to do - drill a couple of holes in each side of the canopy and in the front for ventilation.

Awesome, sounds like a good setup!

TruenoBlues

OK, I have a question about ballasts for a a set-up. I found an outdoor flood light that uses a mercury vapor bulb, and is 70 watts. Now, can I use that ballast for a 70 watt HQI and DIY a rig, or would it just be cjeaper to but a JBJ Viper?

eddiemac760

waddup, everyone!

i've just ordered a sunpod (150w) and i expect it to arrive mid-next-week. my tank consists mainly of softies and lps, but i intend to keep more demanding corals in the future.

my question to you all is:

what schedule (in terms of hours/minutes) should i use to acclimate my current inhabitants to the new light i'll be using?

i'm hoping to avoid as much agae growth as possible during this process. any suggestions and input would be very much appreciated.

johnfluevogs

TruenoBlues -

My research says you can not use the ballast from a Mercury Vapor Lamp to power a Metal Halide.

Look for DIY kits or Advance Metal Halide Ballasts. I run a Magnetic Advance 175w MH ballast to fire a Hamilton 175w 14k.

Just my 2 cents.

All,

What is a good height to position lighting above a reef tank.

More specifically...a PFO reflector (DIY), 175w 14K MH; (2) 32w DualActinic PC's - over a 30 gallon oceanic cube??

your opinions would be awesome!!

Jeff

Edited by johnfluevogs
BKtomodachi

Also a note on the clam pico- You'd likely be able to keep only one or MAYBE two clams in a pico, and they would be limited to croceas or maximas. All others would get too large.

• 3 weeks later...

Can we get a brief right up on acclimation tips and tricks for people who are making a switch to MH?

I have a 175w PFO pendant and ballast and going to either get a ushio 14k or the Iwasaki 15k. I currently only have softies in the Biocube 14g

1- what is a suggested height to start?

2- should I run screen layers to help cut down intensity? how long do I keep on there? how do you know when everything is used to the new lighting?

3- What hours should I run it to start? Should I run my PCs still and then off for a while with MH on and then back on once the MH period is over?

4- Any problems to look out for? will I get more algae growth? maintaining MG levels to ensure coralline growth continues?

Edited by dopamine
  • 2 weeks later...
PaulieWalnuts

hi all...i just picked up a 150 watt 10k coralife MH pendant yesterday for $100. i have a 20 Long and was wondering what would be the best way to break the light in over my tank and about how high should i have it?

thaks

josh

give it 2 hours of light 1st day, then add another hour for every day till eventually your at 7-10 hour photo period.

start 18 inches high then work your way down to about 7-12 inches over water this is guestamate ive never acclimated my tank with a new light this just seems logical to me. if you have no live stock i would say just throw it on heh..

my MH sits about 7 inches from the top of my water have to add a gallon of water every 2days o make up for evaporation.

purplepeopleeater!

hello i have a bio cube 14 and with the stock hood ive started noticing heat issues and its not even hit 65 degrees out side yet

i was thinking of switching to a hanging or clip on setup with MH or pc's and cover the top with a custom cut piece of glass or something

sorry that this is not truely on the MH topic but its the best place i could find to post it

• 2 weeks later...

JUST BOUGHT for my BC14: 175w 20K SE USHIO from PA: 65.00

I have a 10k in there right now and it is too yellow/white for me. I really like the blue look and wish I could just have actinics on all the time.

I dont know what to expect...I dont know if I should have gone with the 14k or if I will be unhappy with the 20k?

I hope I didnt waste the money on something I dont like...not used to buying something that I dont know anything about, especially something that has so much responsibility for the aesthetics of your tank.

I dont have any demanding corals right now, but want to get rid of some stuff like xenia and try some more serious pieces (not right now, but soon). what do you suggest would be ok under these lights?

montis?

acan?

Was the 20k Ushio too blue for you?

That's what you said you bought in the opening sentence.

Try 14k or 15k.

Look around at other people's aquariums in the Member Tanks Forum and pay attention to the lighting over tanks that you like the look of.

no, they came with 10k and that is all I have seen on it. I want something more blue and dont want to have to fabricate actinic into the pendant. So I just bought the 20k today thinking that I would be pretty pissed if I bought the 14k and it wasnt blue enough and had spent the money, so I just jumped into the 20k.

I dont see how it could be TOO blue, I like blue, but I have never even seen this bulb so who knows. :shrug:

just anxious to see it I guess.

Edited by dopamine
gulfsurfer101

I keep hearing that the mogul end bulbs do nothing for photosynthetic purposes that are only acheived through double ended bulbs. I wanna know did I waste my money buying a magnetic ballast with a 20k single ended bulb or will it do the same as the double ended bulb.

• 4 weeks later...
I keep hearing that the mogul end bulbs do nothing for photosynthetic purposes that are only acheived through double ended bulbs. I wanna know did I waste my money buying a magnetic ballast with a 20k single ended bulb or will it do the same as the double ended bulb.

Whomever told you that doesn't (forgive the crudeness) doesn't know their head from their ass. Probably the MOST common light out is a 250 SE (mogul) on a magnetic ballast. SE bulbs are seemingly making a comback over DE bulbs.

• 4 weeks later...
XxRyosukexX

Does MH use up a lot of energy? The energy in my house gets cut off really easily even if I don't use much appliances. Like I could turn on the A/C on low, computer, 40 watt satellite fixture and it would be fine, but if I turn on the TV and rice cooker then the power cuts off.

HecticDialectics
Does MH use up a lot of energy? The energy in my house gets cut off really easily even if I don't use much appliances. Like I could turn on the A/C on low, computer, 40 watt satellite fixture and it would be fine, but if I turn on the TV and rice cooker then the power cuts off.

A 150W MH with an electric ballast will use just over 150W...

TVs can be tricky, most likely under the 150W range, but the rice cooker, that could be a few hundred watts. You'd have to check out the box. Going from 40W to 150W isn't gonna make your life any easier tho :P

• 2 weeks later...
jedihunter2983
Wow, my thread is still around. Nice to see its helping people :)

hi i glad you started this thread i was wondering if you can help me. my father is a electrician and said he could build me a mh light from extra 150 w lights and ballasts he has aqquired. would these bulbs that are probly used for commercial building be okay and is 150 w to much for a 20 g high tank im setting up? i dont no much about these sorts of things and am not sure if theres a difference between my dads lights and aquarium lights.

• 4 weeks later...
Carriegiesler

I just received my new/used (2-3months) Sunpod today and excitedly placed on 9 gallon tank and fired up. Has been on now for about 2 hours and corals are responding well, had the screen ready just in case.

Now as I look at the tank I really cannot detect much of a difference in the amount of light in tank between the two different hoods, even though I am getting technically 22 more watts. Old: 48 watt PC

I have read about the different types of light waves but could someone give a little quick tutorial for dummies.

I guess I thought it would be brighter than what it is. Is this light better than my old one?

JourneyReef

Awesome and helpful thread. I have the 24 inch Current USA SunDial T5 HO 4x24W w/ Timers & LED lights on my 25 gallon tall reef tank. I'd like to be able to keep the whole gamut of corals, though I guess I can do without clams if I have to. What is the best light for me? I would prefer a T5 style light if it could function as well as a hotter halide that makes me have to run crazy fans and top off all the time but I also want to be realistic.

When I bought lights, all I knew was that "metal hallides were the best, T5 HOs next and so on. Little did I know how complicated it got!

Thanks in advance.

also, is this a good deal? http://cgi.ebay.com/24-Metal-Halide-Aquari...1QQcmdZViewItem

I have a 6gal Nano Cube and am considering MH. Can I do that? Like electronics compatablitiy and it being such a small tank and allt hat other stuff?

lakshwadeep
Awesome and helpful thread. I have the 24 inch Current USA SunDial T5 HO 4x24W w/ Timers & LED lights on my 25 gallon tall reef tank. I'd like to be able to keep the whole gamut of corals, though I guess I can do without clams if I have to. What is the best light for me? I would prefer a T5 style light if it could function as well as a hotter halide that makes me have to run crazy fans and top off all the time but I also want to be realistic.

When I bought lights, all I knew was that "metal hallides were the best, T5 HOs next and so on. Little did I know how complicated it got!

Thanks in advance.

also, is this a good deal? http://cgi.ebay.com/24-Metal-Halide-Aquari...1QQcmdZViewItem

That ebay model seems kind of shady with no mention of the type of ballast. T5s and MH are very close in lighting with benefits on both ends. I would highly suggest all newbies to read this article that discusses the various light sources and the basics of light itself:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-12/newbie/index.php