Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Has anyone tried a "1/2 10 gallon" frag tank?

Fanof49ASU

nice zoa garden. i likes

Thanks....it's getting there. My zoas are starting to 'fill in'. I've got one more frag swap to go to (Aug 4), and then I'm going to leave it alone and let it ride.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the exact same tank sitting next to my 55. My wife and I have been trying to figure out how we want to use it. I totally recommend glasscages.com to everyone. I'd use them for any size of tank. We bought alot of stuff from them while I worked for Blackburn College in southern IL. They always come to the STL reptile show. For those who were concerned with thinner glass, they make 2 types of tank. Vivariums with thinner glass for housing reptiles and full-on aquariums with thicker glass to hold the water. Great guy to deal with and you get to meet him in person usually when picking things up. I liked that as you could talk to him and see what hes about and not just hit the "pay" button online to some person you'll never meet. Kinda like buying frags here, haha. Anyway, I'll be watchin this thread for ideas and will prolly start my own soon.

Bill

chaostactics

I really like those rics they're freakin awesome looking I used to have 20 of those half tens in a breeding rack for reptile and we sold them all off at $5 a piece. And now I completely regret it. Sooooooo regret it.

Nothing really new.

I did a water change last week, and it screwed up my ph, but everythings back to normal now.

Normal.jpg

Nothing really new.

I did a water change last week, and it screwed up my ph, but everythings back to normal now.

Normal.jpg

Whoa... you know... if any of those blue/green zoas up front happen to fall of the rock by... oh, I don't know... what's a nice, round number... hm... 6:30 PM Saturday... for example... You know, if you put them in a little bag with water and.. hmm... what's a random spot... oh, and if you showed up to... I don't know... the LFS in the Kroger shopping center... Just saying... if that happened... which I couldn't even begin to imagine the odds of that happening, but if it did happen, then I'm sure someone there would help take them off of your hands... you know. Just saying...

Yep...

:P

If the purple ones fall off... that'd be a shame too... ...

Yep...

Great looking tank BTW.

Scucci

When they start multiplying in noticeable numbers, you'll get some. Those are some of my favorites.

RobinEggBlues.jpg

Also....I doubt that I'll make the meeting on Sat.

My brother is heading back to North Dakota for the school year.

• 4 weeks later...
Scucci

When they start multiplying in noticeable numbers, you'll get some. Those are some of my favorites.

RobinEggBlues.jpg

Also....I doubt that I'll make the meeting on Sat.

My brother is heading back to North Dakota for the school year.

I saw this thread back before you had even finished the "cycle", that never really happened, and coming back to it now...there is so much to look at. Very nice setup, I happen to be a huge soft coral fan. In any case I just got a reg 10 gal the other day and rediscovered this thread...good inspiration. I look forward to getting my new one up and running. Keep doing what your doing, and good luck.

I saw this thread back before you had even finished the "cycle", that never really happened, and coming back to it now...there is so much to look at. Very nice setup, I happen to be a huge soft coral fan. In any case I just got a reg 10 gal the other day and rediscovered this thread...good inspiration. I look forward to getting my new one up and running. Keep doing what your doing, and good luck.

Thanks Strika.

I need to update some pics.....that's when I notice growth.

FWIW...I've also added several new zoas (I finally got a Red Wine!!! :happydance: ). I've only had it a few weeks, and I've already noticed some growth but no new polyps yet.

I moved a rock around this weekend (to gain another inch or so, and to recover a couple of rics that had blow under rocks) and found a bunch of loose zoa polyps. It's amazing what's under our rocks that are still living without much light.

Word of advice. Start a thread and keep updating it. That's the best way to see your progress.

• 1 month later...

wow those are some nice zoas!! i don't think you necessarily need a bigger tank, you just need to ship me some of those red ones right in the center.. and some of those green ones on the right.. and a few on the left.. some on the front right. lol! :lol:

Turned out quite well. I'm not a fan of "false walls" as they generally make the display too shallow (f2b), but th dims of this tank make it work well.

• 3 months later...
Someone asked for the specs, and I thought that I'd leave them with the thread as well.

tankspecs.jpg

what was that ric which was like a living glow in the dark sticker called?

what was that ric which was like a living glow in the dark sticker called?

Unfortunately, they all went downhill very quickly. But yes, it did almost glow.

Beautiful tank! I love following this thread! Keep us posted. You'll have to control yourself at the swap from what it looks like unless you frag off some stuff to make some room! Trades welcome! :lol: See you next Sat. Be sure to identify yourself! Some of us may go out to eat after the swap so check with us if you can go.

Beautiful tank! I love following this thread! Keep us posted. You'll have to control yourself at the swap from what it looks like unless you frag off some stuff to make some room! Trades welcome! :lol: See you next Sat. Be sure to identify yourself! Some of us may go out to eat after the swap so check with us if you can go.

Thanks Sue.

I'm buying/trading for some really nice stuff at the swap. Nuc Greens, PD, PPE, Xmen, Candy Apple Reds, Rastas, Kiwi Stars.....but, they're mainly single polyps.....but that's all I have room for.

I need to update my thread. The last tank shot was in October. It's basically the same, but I've thinned it out a bit, removing the 'starter' frags....and it's already filled back in. It's really too crowded, and not allowing new growth. I need to start another tank just for zoas....again.

I'll see you at the swap, and hopefully make that dinner as well.

It's been a couple of months since my last update, but not a lot has changed. My zoas have kinda reached a stopping point in growth.....they're just 'out of space'. I've started removing the original frags that I started the tank with (except for the bam bam's), so that should provide a little more room for new growth.

Also, with the frag swap coming up this weekend, I've been trying to create shelves for the new arrivals. You'll see one in the fts on the left.

0320.jpg

0323.jpg

0324.jpg

0325.jpg

0326.jpg

0327.jpg

Back from the frag swap and wanted to update the thread with a few new purchases.

This is one of my favorite palys from the swap. I don't know the name (if it has one), but I think they're awesome!

Unknown paly

UnknownPaly.jpg

Candy Apple Red

CARLunar.jpg

Nuc Green

NucGreen.jpg

Lunar Eclipse

Lunar.jpg

Not a good photo at all, but.....

Unknown

UnknownZoa.jpg

Purple Death (2 polyps)

PurpleDeath.jpg

Unknown paly

GreenPalys.jpg

Kiwi Stars

KiwiStarsFlash.jpg

Rainbows

Rainbows.jpg

Seller called them Orange Starburst

OrangeSunburst.jpg

Niiiice!!

That last "unknown" looks like a Devil's Armor or Darth Maul to me.

It was great meeting you at the swap, thanks so much for all your help!

fan, did you get that rainbow frag from chadfarmer?...the ones i got from him didnt open up

Yeah....they're doing great.

Archived