Top Shelf Aquatics

Has anyone tried a "1/2 10 gallon" frag tank?

Fanof49ASU

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still looking for small rocks, but I wanted to get this tank cycling. I literally dumped the smallest pieces of rocks from my other tanks in here.....so, no aquascaping yet......that and my lighting will come later. The first chamber is FULL of rubble. The second has carbon (just for the cycle).

Here's the latest.

1-25g.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I kept waiting on a cycle.....it never happened. I used rocks from other tanks, so I guess there was nothing to 'cycle'.

Anyways, here's the latest with some coral.

Tank4.5.07.jpg

Tank.4.5.07.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Fanof49ASU

I've got the Coralife 12'' 36w.

This tank is sitting on my desk with a overhead bookshelf above it. I replaced that existing bulb with a 10,000k 40w coralife...though, it doesn't provide much additional light.

I'm looking at those new 48w nova extreme T5 lights. I may be swapping for those, since space is an issue and they're only 1 1/2'' in depth...and only $70.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...Code=Current-T5

Fanof49ASU

Thanks for the comments. It's been fun putting this together.

Here's a shot (a little closer) that I got on my lunch hour today.

Zoa4.jpg

nice!!! wish those tanks were available here in Canada at that size... the closest thing to a low but wide and long tank is a 40g breeder! too big lol

Tim

Fanof49ASU

Today must be a special day. My Hi Fin came out and let me get several shots of her/him. This was a first!

HiFin.jpg

brent-konieczny

This is an amazing tank! You must have great efficiency from your lights with such a wide shallow tank. In the future I might do a similar over flow with the wavemaker nozzle in a 2.5.

Fanof49ASU

Wavemaker nozzle? Do you mean the Hydor flow? If not, please link me to this nozzle.

Actually, yesterday I was trying one out, but the blast of the flow was a bit too much for nearby zoas.

I would love to have a alternating/swirling flow in this tank. The flow is GREAT now, but it's too constant.

coral_addict

I think you should start making these in huge # and sell them. I think it will sell like hotcakes. I like this design! Very nice and would be easy to use lower lighting as the height is so low.

seems like cubes were the latest craze for the past who knows how long. custom glass cubes. shallow longer tanks are gaining ground.

i agree. a major maker needs to pick up this design. reptile tanks aren't designed to be long term fish tanks, thus the thinner glass.

Fanof49ASU

Thanks for the comments everyone. This project has been fun. Here's a few shots from this morning.

Tank39%20copy.jpg

Tank40%20copy.jpg

Tank41%20copy.jpg

Tank42%20copy.jpg

Tank43%20copy.jpg

Here's a full-size panoramic of the tank.

Full Size pic

Fanof49ASU

Here's the ricordia that's in the tank on the left. I've had comments about it being 'bleached', but it's been a month or so since I bought it, and it still has the same colors. Others have said that's just the color because the 'mouth' has its full color. I dunno.... Personally, I love it! I'll get a night time shot later...it fluoresces incredibly!!!

Ricordia.jpg

Fanof49ASU

Here's one under the blues. There's no way to capture the sheer glow of these things! It's incredible.

RicAtNight.jpg

Archived