inTank Media Baskets

Has anyone tried a "1/2 10 gallon" frag tank?

Fanof49ASU

I'm tinkering with making a refugium like the Nanocube's in the back of a 1/2 10 gallon (19.875Lx10Wx6H).

Just curious if someone has tried this lately.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TerryBaileySr.
I'm tinkering with making a refugium like the Nanocube's in the back of a 1/2 10 gallon (19.875Lx10Wx6H).

Just curious if someone has tried this lately.

Ok I am lost what is a 1/2 10 gallon? Wouldn't that be a 5 gallon?

Terry Sr.

that doesn't make sense. do you mean false wall?

if you're trying to put a false wall in the back of a tank, this has been done numerous times. do a search for false wall.

Tim

that doesn't make sense. do you mean false wall?

if you're trying to put a false wall in the back of a tank, this has been done numerous times. do a search for false wall.

Tim

Sorry guys, I posed a vague question and didn't return. Here's what we (around Nashville) call a 1/2 Ten gallon. It's a 10 gallon literally cut in half.

1:2tengallon.jpg

I've started the back wall and dividers, but nothing is cemented together yet.

:blink: that is crazy looking i have seen 5g befor but that takes the cake... and yeah just do a search for false wall... looks like it will be a killer tank

I've pretty much fabricated the walls (see pic....the acrylic still has the paper on it).....I'm just eye-balling it over and over to make sure the levels of the skimmers will work.

I was just thinking someone had used this size before, and I was hoping for some more ideas.

Here's a few more views of this size. Remember, the walls are just standing on their own....they're not glued in place. Here's a 12 oz can for size.

1.5Tank.jpg

1.5Tank2.jpg

1.5Tank3.jpg

i like how that looks? howd you cut it? and is the plastic around the top just the plastics around the original top?

I didn't cut it. This is a standard size 'frag tank' from Glasscages. The trim is the same as any tank.

circusordie16

i see, i misunderstood you when you said it was cut in half. i thought you did the cutting yourself and was wondering how you managed to do taht so nicely.

I got this from a lfs, but it's made by Glasscages.com . I'm sure they sell them online. The glass is pretty thin, but I guess it's sufficient for the size.

Should work out very well.

What are you could to light it with? I'd probably consider 36w PCs or 24" 24w T5 bulbs.

Should work out very well.

What are you could to light it with? I'd probably consider 36w PCs or 24" 24w T5 bulbs.

Yeah, 36w PC's. That should be alot of light considering that 6" height. I may need to filter it down somehow.

I got the acrylic bonded last night. I'll try a water test this weekend.

1.5tank4.jpg

1.5tank5.jpg

I still have to drill/tap a hole for the water to enter back into the front of the tank. It'll be in the center.

I'm curious as to how the 2 returns are going to work.

The heater and pump will go in the center chamber.

Also, I'm not sure if I will have chaeto in both chambers or just one.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

I love the dimensions on that tank. How did you make the notches in the acrylic? Very nice job and I would like to see more of this one.

Thanks.

Those cuts weren't easy. I used my cheap table-top bandsaw. It's not perfect, but with the extreme low profile, I don't think it will be seen.

The display area ends up being around 6-3/4"x 19 17/8"......that's pretty long, yet exactly what I wanted. My corals should get PLENTY of light now.

I checked out glasscages.com and while I have been there before I was looking for 150-300g tanks for my oscar. I really dig the "1/2 15g" in acrylic too. I think its 12.5" x 24" x 6.5" tall and its like $35. I emailed them to see if they could but a false wall in with an overflow leaving the return line holes and baffles to be made by me. They can also make the back of acrylic tanks black. Pretty sweet stuff.

My overflows are too small to keep up with the Minijet 606. It does ok at the lowest setting, but that's not enough flow for me.

Back to the drawing board.

Love the project, looks good. For the overflow not keeping up, can you cut the slits a little deeper? If not, try drilling a 1/4” hole about 2” from the top of the false wall below your slits. Been using this design for many years and always incorporate one or two constant feed holes. It will allow some of the incoming water to bypass your mechanical filtration but has never been a problem in any of my tanks. Also will help flow through the tank with a more diverse induction.

i was thinking the same thing as Dball... or even put a small hole in your pump chamber false wall (not to big mind you) this way you can hide the hole with your rock work... i guess there wont be any filtering the water this way though... better stick with what Dball said

Thanks for the advice, it sounds good.

I was about ready to scrap it, but I will pull it back out and try that. I did notice there's a small hole in my JBJ nano 12....I guess it serves the same purpose.

I tried the small holes, and it still wasn't enough. I will go in and tear it down to recut the return deeper. That's got to be the problem. I still want the dual return to work!

In the meantime, I started another one that was much more simplified. I basically copied the Nanocube's fuge, and it works at top speed (minijet 606) like a charm. Great water movement, and high flow (for a 5g).

I 'lightened' these photos so you can see into the black areas better.

NewTank1.jpg

NewTank2.jpg

NewTank3.jpg

Archived