Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pics of my new green maxima

Brooklyn Johnny

OxInYourBox

Awesome Johnny.

Thanks for the info on the drip setup as well as your reasoning for a PH monitor. I'm leaning towards the slurry method of kalk addition but I'm going to play with both once I get my PinPoint in.

How long have you had your PinPoint? There was a group purchase of them on reefcentral and there were replacement probes included in that as well. I've got the info around here somewhere (I'm going to pick up one and a replacement for use on my tanks) I can send you if you need a replacement. Once again awesome job.

Ox

PS-100th post on the thread. :)

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brooklyn Johnny

I bought my Pinpoint when I got the tank last summer. I gave my old one to my father as he was using it on his freshwater tanks. I'm good for now and have recently replaced the probe. Thanks though...

You're going to use the slurry method in a nano? I've read Calfo's book on Coral Propagation where he addresses that, and says a rapid change of up to .2 in pH is acceptable. I guess if you don't need that much kalk in your nano that would be okay, but I know on my tank the slurry mehtod would spike the pH WAY too much. Either way, the pH meter will help you there too.

Thanks again Ox...

Johnny

Johnny,

What do you feed? Specifically, what are you feeding the tank that the Swifta is responding to? I am looking to possibly try a nonphotosynthetic gorgonian and have been trying to get all of the feeding info I can get.

Thanks,

Matt

Brooklyn Johnny

Hey Matt, I've had the Swiftia for some months now and it is doing great. I have three seperate cuttings in my tank as you could see all from the same original colony. I had researched them in Bornemann's book and other places and they are always listed as difficult, but for feeding reasons only. So I placed the three frags in my tank in different spots with different current, to give myself the best shot. I was surprised when all settled in and all started showing new growth, a sure sign of health. With gorgonians (and other things but particularly these), either you'll see recession or growth. They don't tend to "just hang around" like some other things.

I actually think these benefit from being in a nano. I do not spot feed anything in my tank, and if I did spot feed my gorgonians my tank would quickly be overfed. Whenever I feed, the food is spread throughout the tank in seconds, moreso than in larger tanks.

I heavily feed my tank one of about ten frozen foods every day, on top of 10 mLs of DT's phyto every other day. When I get my larger tanks going I'll start making my own frozen food, as it will be more cost effective, but for now I just buy as many different cubed frozen foods as I can. I also have the refugium, which is a HUGE benefit on so many levels.

With this said, it's tough to say what the Swiftia is eating, although it is obviously something. Interestingly, the polyps of each of the three cuttings are either all open or all closed. And, they are all independant of eachother. It's not like I notice that they all close when I feed something special. I don't know what polyp size they are feeding on, but that is why I like the frozen preparations of food, as they contain many different sizes for the many different organisms we have. Maybe the gorg is feeding on some type of larvae from the fuge, as I've seen many. Who knows? I think the message I'm learning is just mix it up a lot. Feed many things, because there is really nobody who can say what every organism in the entire tank needs to prosper, so just dump a lot in and whatever doesn't get used will be taken out eventually.

I've heard that the easier of the nonphotosynthtic gorgs are the Diodogorgia genus, which I will probably be adding as my last additions (the orange and red varieties from e-tropicals.com).

I've been vamping up my water changes to closer to two times a week, not to deal with nutrients, but to replace elements being used. To be honest who knows what my tank is using in trace elements, as all are different, and I do not like adding anything other than calc, alk, and food. I think that the advantages of adding some trace elements and other "reef stuff" is quickly overtaken by disadvantages. Incidentally I have always tested okay for magnesium and strontium, which appears to be kept up from just the water changes I do.

On a side note I have recently started dosing iodine in small quantities as my tank had 0. I wrote Ron Shimek on this and he thinks that food and water changes contain enough, but I'm adding small amounts anyway, keeping an eye on levels.

I've gone on a little too far maybe, but lastly Matt I'll tell you that it is so so important to get a healthy gorg that shows no recession. So many gorgs in LFSs go south fast because they are not provided with the right conditions, so if you see one snatch it up fast. Or, better yet, get a frag from a buddy, which is what I did with many of my other gorgonians.

Hope this helps and I'm sorry can't be more specific on what the Swiftia is eating...

Johnny

PS... I'm going to post some more pics soon...

• 4 weeks later...

Ok Johnny, move your left elbow out of the way ... I wanna see what kind of polyp extensions you got on that coral you call a wife. He he he...

Brooklyn Johnny

Let's just I have the effect on her that feeding does on a sun polyp, but that is one coral that no one can see:

Polyp extension... sheesh:P

• 3 weeks later...

Whew - spent today reading ALL the threads on this one since "nano-of-the-month" recognition. Kicks! I think I remember a question in the threads that I also am interested in and couldn't find/missed the answer. What salt do you use? Keep on...

Brooklyn Johnny

Openbrain thanks! I have always used and will be sticking to good old IO. I have followed the whole Shimek "switch to Bioassay marinemix" debate, but have yet to be convinced. Many people in my club tried the switch and had major bleaching events, including a good friend who hooked me up with many of the frags in my nano. He lost close to 50 frags when he did a very small water change with the bioassay mix. Whatever the reason for that, it's not worth the gamble. I'm sticking with IO.

Johnny

PS- If you have no idea what I'm talking about do a search for these two salts and you'll quickly find out.

Hi Crakeur - nice & useful posts, thanks! Here's the deal - I'm a biochemistry professor with previous freshwater/ecosystem experience and have decided I cannot go on without trying nano reef! Ongoing preparations for a 15 g rectangular ( 12 inch deep so I agree lighting is probably going to be OK, kCal/energy in such an ecosystem will depend equally+/- more heavily on other factors like KCal from feeding). Since my work involves alot of water chemistry I'm also really sensitive to this (bravo the pH monitoring Brooklyn!). SO, the short message is that I am interested in the optimal salt mix and will go from there. I'm sure plenty will be "broke" in the future but for right now want to optimize the beginning.

THANKS ALL!!

OT queries:

SL-5 Amiracle hang-on skimmer? (I can'

t get water level in skimmer where it should be). Bag it and do fuge or suck it up for different skimmer or some other solution?

If choosing between TBSaltwater LR/LS package (tons of hitchhikers) and Harbor Aquatics what are pros/cons. Narrowed this down from posts on this site. Any OT (sorry!) advice SO appreciated.

This site rocks.

Brooklyn Johnny

I know of the Amiracle hang-ons but can't help with specifics as I have no experience with them. Regarding the live sand I recommend you look into local clubs or reefers and get some cups from a few different healthy tanks... it only takes a little to start and there is really no reason to pay so much when many local people would be more than happy to help. I also am a big proponent of fuges... I would look into one if I were you...

Johnny

Dear B-J,

I really appreciate your responses to my beginner questions, thanks so much! Even though I am a biologist/chemist I also know that experience is the best teacher and your tank is simply incredible. You are obviously doing something right. Decided to go with Tropic-Marin salt and will try to keep pH in a tight range (8.1-8.3), use realistic levels of light for a 15g tank (12" deep) and supply added energy to the food chain with a varied diet. Still nervous about supplier for live rock but will hope for the best. This is what I learned from your posts - wish me luck!!

Brooklyn Johnny

With my nano I bought my rock locally. I paid just a bit more but was able to literally sit in the store with a piece of styrofoam with the same footprint as my 10 gallon and with that was able to get the exact pieces I wanted. You may want to look into this. If you choose to go mail order look into Dr. Mac at www.drmaccorals.com. You won't be upset with their rock and he can hand select pieces for you at no extra cost. Hope that helps...

Johnny

openbrain,

somewhere on these boards is a poll regarding salt. I've used many in the past and the reason I say if it ain't broke is because, everytime a new study comes out, touting a new salt, people switch unnecessarily. If morton's table salt has been working, keep using it. I switched to Aqua Craft's Marine Environment about a year ago and still use it thanks to a huge gaffe in my order (6 25 gallon bags for a 7 gallon). Did I notice a difference? Yes. Corals did well but hair algae and bryopsis thrived and choked out the rest of the tank. Could it have been from the switch? Possibly. I still use the ME salt and have had no ill effects with the new tank, other than low calcium but I'm dosing away to bring it up.

Tropic Marin is excellent salt and is more readily available.

As for live rock, check out aquarium arts for some insane looking (and priced) live rock. Best to get it local (less die off) but if you are doing the internet, check them out or paragonsales.com (ct. based store). Both had amazing looking rock.

B-J, sorry for the hijack but I figured I could post my response and maybe you'd send frags to shut me up.

Brooklyn Johnny

I'm pretty indifferent about salt choice... I've always used IO and so do a lot of people so that's what I've stuck with.

Crak stay out of my thread... consider yourself warned... ;) in reality my wife and I are looking at having a house built, in which case we'll be in the apartment about another year and a half, in which case I'll be setting up a 65 gallon with maybe a little prop system. If this is the case I'd be more than happy to hook some people with frags, but not those who've hijacked my threads...;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Brooklyn Johnny

Hey all... it's been a while and over six months since I upgraded my tanks. I posted a little bit of information in one of my older threads regarding the upgrades and if you search "kitchen nano" you'll find it easily.

Alot of people always asked about frags, and starting tomorrow I will be posting frag packs up for sale for shipment early next week, including many corals seen in the nano. Korbin that includes the encrusting yellow montipora ;) . Prices will be very reasonable (around $15 a frag, and a little more for small colinies), and I will throw in freebies with every pack. To make it worthwhile for shipping I will make up packages of around $100 plus shipping loaded with frags (and small colonies). No box or packing charge garbage, and I'll throw in heat packs if necessary for free. That way you'll get your money's worth on the shipping, yet still not spend so much you'll get wrenched from your girlfriend or wife ;).

The packs will mainly be sps, with some zoanthids and gorgonians and other things. I will be sorting these out and posting tomorrow with pictures of everything in the for sale section, with a heads up here...

Here's a picture of my three tanks now...

Johnny

Brooklyn Johnny

My 54 corner, where you could see many of the corals from my nano... the 65 is mainly sps and ricordea...

Lunchbucket

dang!! MORE PICS man more pics

also where do we go to see your frag packages and such

later buddy

rock on!

Lunchbucket

ps i am just about to upgrade my 20H to a 58RR :D

Archived