Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pics of my new green maxima

Brooklyn Johnny

Brooklyn Johnny

Here's my brown gorgonian from the upper left that was originally one branch and now has grown a second one right around the out take of the powerhead, also there is a pink plating monti that you can't really see from the front because my turbinaria is in the way...

Incidentally here you could see where I added some silicone tubing to the Minijets to be able to direct their flow a little better, as originally I had them pointing at eachother and they were splashing onto the PCs.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brooklyn Johnny

Here's one of my two purple photosynthetic gorgonians... this one I rescued and got for a steal as it was little and had hair algae on it in some parts... I eyed it for a few weeks in the store and saw it's potential B) I love gorgonians obviously and they're nice in nanos because they don't take up too much "live rock room"

Brooklyn Johnny

Another top down shot showing my squamosa and my orange gorgonian (Swiftia exserta). If I had to pick a favorite piece it may be this nonphotosynthetic gorgonian that was listed in Borneman's coral book as very difficult. I put three different pieces in my tank as you could see hoping at least one would make it... and now their all taking off and showing new growth! Does anyone else have nonphotosynthtic gorgonians because I'd like to know your experience with them...

Brooklyn Johnny

I got way up high to try and get a top shot of everything... the light was kind of far off but it came out okay...

Brooklyn Johnny

Here's a shot of the side of my tank showing the coralline growth I've gotten. This is all Tonga Ridge rock... I would definately recommend not skimping on your live rock... especially when it comes to nanos... It's kind of blurry but shows the growth...

A most excellent tank! Nano reef perfection. I mean it, this is a beautiful tank and I love the aquascaping, as well and the variety you have there.

I am hoping you will decide to keep this tank long term. There are many nice large reef tank, but not enough nano's. This is an example of Nano reef success. Keep up the great work.

Brooklyn Johnny

Thanks Sahin... yeah as each day goes by I think I'm going to have to keep this tank long term... man has it grown on me... as I've said before this wasn't supposed to be a big deal, but i crammed my 180 gallons of ideas into a 10 gallon... so far it's working... thanks!

Johnny, you're a "bad" influence... :) I just picked up 2 more clams for my 10gal, making it 3 in total. Wife doesn't know about the new acquisitions (yet). Perhaps they could be an early anniversary present :blush:

As you're also married, I thought I'd share this with you. For Valentine's, instead of 2 dozen roses, I gave my wife a pink tip acro colony :happy:

Dan

Brooklyn Johnny

Dan that's funny because many people don't realize the benefits possible there... for my 180 I'm going to get a harem of like 5 flame angels on my wife's birthday as a symbol of the "flame" she is in my life!:D I like the pink tip acro idea... good luck telling her about the clams...

That's hilarious! :D But it hey, it works...

Told her about the crocea's... that I got a pair of 'something' that cultures pearls... She loves them.

I'll post a new pic of my tank tomorrow with close-ups of the clams.

Btw, how much CA/kalk do you add to your 10gal daily? What's your calcium (ppm) and alkinity reading (dkh)?

Lunchbucket

dickwayne - that is a tough choice for me too :D hmm, wife, tank wife, tank....well you have both :D and i hope both make you very happy

great tank!

Lunchbucket

Brooklyn Johnny

Thanks Lunch... yeah my wife and my tank are my two passions...:)

Hey Dan regarding my calcium here's what I do. The levels I shoot for are 400-450 on the calcium, and 2.5 to 3.5 meq/L alk (like 7 to 10 dkH) with a shooting point for 3.0 meq/L (8.5 dkh). I pretty much now use full strength kalk (1 teaspoon kalk powder dissolved in a gallon of water), dripping a half gallon of that in a night (use one gallon drip bucket that lasts exactly two nights). If I ever test my alk and it's at 3.5 meq/L then the next time I just use 3/4 of a teaspoon of kalk powder per gallon, which will bring my alk back down. On top of the kalk I've been dosing Kent's Liquid Calcium to the tune of about 3 mL per day, as my calcium was dropping below 400 and the kalk couldn't keep up anymore. The Kent's liquid calcium is just dilute calcium chloride that is good fro nanos because it is more precise. With larger tanks I would use Kent Turbo Calcium (same stuff in powder form but too concentrated for me to be comfortable with...). I hope this helps... the best thing to do is start with dilute kalk and work your way up...

Thanks Johnny. I've been experiencing the same problem of calcium and alk levels dropping lately, with the recent addition of monti danae and acro humilis, etc. I believe my porites which cover about half the tank are also a factor.

I've been gradually increasing the daily dosage of kalk w/ bio-active calcium (Coralife Calcium) and Seachem Reef Carbonate/Builder. The bottles come with recommended dosages but given our reef stock, it probably isn't enough. The reef carb goes into my top-up water. As it's somewhat more humid out here in Singapore, evaporation is not a big problem - about 1/4 gal/day.

Brooklyn Johnny

A problem with dropping calcium levels??? That's a good thing meaning stuff's growing:D Anyway here is another round of new pics... I cleaned the back glass off and this is the results... I like it a little more... Coralline was caked up but I hacked through it...

Archived