Pod Your Reef

Pics of my new green maxima

Brooklyn Johnny

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like your tank. The colors that the pc's are giving you show that not only lighting is a factor toward beautiful corals, which you very evidently have. Nice tank:).

I agree, I was really worried I would HAVE to purchase MH lighting to keep the cool stuff but apparently you dont have to at all!! :)

*standing applause*

I can't remember who said it on this board to give them credit - but it is most certainly true in this hobby.

As everyone wonders what the best methodology is for success - "the one that works is the best way."

I don't think it's the recipe - I think it's the cook. Outstanding work Johnny.

Johnny.. Maybe you can make a new thread with just a slew or pics of your setup since you are the tank of the month!! So that its not in 2 threads and spaced with replys?? That would be awsome.

Brooklyn Johnny

Woo hoo!!! thanks again all! I'll definately post a whole slew of tank shots this week. I have my camera at work and all of my images are stored at my PC at work. Now that I it's being featured I'll take individual shots of a lot of the corals, as many of them aren't even seen yet really. I have things placed in little nooks and crannies everywhere... Cal3v I I've always admired your tank... I really wonder if the colors I'm getting are due to my feeding regimen or whatever? Everybody always relates color to the strength of light to some degree... anyway...

I'll definately take more shots of the setup, how I have things hooked up, and more detailed info with it. This tank is pretty low budget (relative to reefs) and although I invest a lot of time into it it's voluntary. I got a lot of the corals as frags for free from local reefers in my club...

Chris should I just post more pics here when I get them this week or start another thread? Let me know... as always I welcome questions and comments... who doesn't like to BS about their reef?:D

Brooklyn Johnny

Here's a shot of my newest addition... a small frag of table acro! It's in the center of the pic. You could also see two Montipora digitatas (purple tip and red), an awesome yellow plating montipora towards the top, my tricolor acro, a leather, candy cane, and my awesome green maxima...

Brooklyn Johnny

Here's a closeup... what's neat is that it's got the actual shape of a large table colony, even though it's under 2"! My wife always thinks I'm nuts for getting excited about little stuff like that... but I am ;)

Brooklyn Johnny

My yellow cup coral (Turbinaria frondens) at night with polyps open... according to Eric Borneman only one species of Turbinaria naturally opens it's polyps during the day... which is Turbinaria peltata (Pagoda coral) which is the species on the other side of my tank...

These make for awesome centerpieces, and is a great way to add a nice yellow to the tank...

Brooklyn Johnny

Here's a pic of my red ball sponge with an interesting story. I got this a while ago and it starting dieing back, so I tossed it in the back of the tank... months later I looked back there and was astonished that it was healthy and bright red again! It was just a little smaller. So it now occupies the space under the shade of my pagoda coral... awesome piece and cool for places that have shade and thus can't take photosynthetic stuff...

Brooklyn Johnny

My emerald crab who's a relatively recent addition. He thinks he's an acro crab I think... as he's always hanging out in branches... here he is in my digitata at night...

Brooklyn Johnny

Here's a pic of my wife and I... she deserves recognition for giving me the kitchen space! If you ever take the plunge two prerequisites... make sure she's gorgeous and make sure she'll support your reef habit (making sure she knows it's an expensive and time consuming hobby!!):D

Brooklyn Johnny

Here's that yellow encrusting (not plating like I said) montipora that's grown since the pic. It's a wicked fluorescent yellow that the pic doesn't capture... It's growing like mad...

I don't know what's better looking, your tank, or your wife!!:D

J/k

Anyways, very nice. I've been thinking that the rockwork can either make or break a tank, and I love the way your rocks branch out to the two corners.

Watch out when those colonies get bigger, i had to figure that out the hard way in my 20 lol, so now I am trying to reduce what I have to a few favorites, or trade big stuff in for smaller pieces.

Brooklyn Johnny

Hey guys thanks again... Cal I know what you mean... I fragged my frogspawn recently into three pretty big nice pieces and now it's almost as big again... the sps colonies I'm happy to see grow as they are easy to frag if they grow large... we plan on having our house by the end of this year or early next year, and I'll be moving a lot of the sps to my 180, but I think I've decided to keep the 10 gallon going when we move... I hope we have some good kitchen locations...zzz anyway I'll have plenty more pics soon... blue fishies congrats on the clam... check out www.justphish.com

Awesome job with the nano Johnny! Both you and Cal are an inspiration to all at nano-reef.

Keep it up and thanks again for all your feedback and input into our nano-reefer community.

Like you, I too have a very supportive and understanding wife :D

Brooklyn Johnny

I got a hold of my father's new Coolpix 4300 and got some more shots last night... here's my encrusting yellow montipora and you could also see the bright pink tips of my tricolor acro...

Brooklyn Johnny

Here's my galaxy coral that I got as a tiny frag as one of the first corals in my tank. I knew that they are one of the meanest and can develop some nasty long stingers, but it's grown a lot and so far no problems... neat little colony

Brooklyn Johnny

Here's a general shot where you could see my blastomussa wellsi right in the center and my purple max turned out awesome too...

Archived