Pod Your Reef

Mushrooms in a blender

a1rabbit

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well to put an end to my sagga. I did all that work for nadda one. Actually I lost the only red shroom that I had. I had to leave town for a week and the salinity flux I believe was the downfall to my experiment. So for my reslut pics...well lets say, that cute little acrylic tank I built for this experiment is sitting dry in my scrap acrylic box. Who knows after our baby is hatched I may try it again. The only thing I'll do dfiierently is not blend them up so fine. Find the slowes pump possible. Then I'll post some pics.

yea, i think people took it out of hand, im pretty sure the original idea meant just to "chop them" not turn them into a puree, just a light chop

AcroporaLokani
Well to put an end to my sagga. I did all that work for nadda one. Actually I lost the only red shroom that I had. I had to leave town for a week and the salinity flux I believe was the downfall to my experiment. So for my reslut pics...well lets say, that cute little acrylic tank I built for this experiment is sitting dry in my scrap acrylic box. Who knows after our baby is hatched I may try it again. The only thing I'll do dfiierently is not blend them up so fine. Find the slowes pump possible. Then I'll post some pics.

Well that sucks...

• 9 months later...
gulfsurfer101

Look for my future tank build coming up to revie this thread from the dead! Poeple who tried it I need feeed back on what you did and what would you do to correct any problems that maight have affected the outcome of your projects. I got the don't chop into slush part down. Looks like floorlord siad about the size of confetti is about right and that's what I'll be going for. I will most likely just start my own thread on the tank going up and post links here from time to time.

AcroporaLokani
Look for my future tank build coming up to revie this thread from the dead! Poeple who tried it I need feeed back on what you did and what would you do to correct any problems that maight have affected the outcome of your projects. I got the don't chop into slush part down. Looks like floorlord siad about the size of confetti is about right and that's what I'll be going for. I will most likely just start my own thread on the tank going up and post links here from time to time.

It failed since the thread started did not top off the small tank he had the corals in (he was out of town).

^Didnt you read, it failed.

It only failed because the thread started did not top off the tank since he was gone for a few days. (If I remember correctly).

gulfsurfer101

I just did it today. I got my tank running and made shure everything was in working order and just transfered rock, sand and water from my existing thirty and aquapod. I took about three red mushrroms and one green tonga shroom and blended on pulse about three good time at about 1 second pulses. I got suprisingly good chunks and see about ten little peices about the size of about 1/4 to 1/8 of an inch sitting on my sand floor or wedged beween rocks and acrylic in my five gallon hex. I was going to run my koralia nano but it started to kick up the shroom frags too much. I also dropped some zoa frags in there just to pretty it up a bit since looking at bare rocks is kinda lame. Not much to document on film yet but I think it will work since I will be topping off every day after work. I will be taking frags to my LFS to get more shrooms to add to the mayham.

That majic bullet seems to do the trick and I might try some Xenia since I think I heard prop or somebody mentioning about just shooting it through the power heads. I wouldn't be doing this if I believed it didn't work.

I wonder if this would work for xenia? And one ever try that?

Sounds interesting, what about GSP?

GulfSurfer needs to set up three tanks, Shroom, GSP and Xenia! DO IT! :D

gulfsurfer101
hahah blending corals... you people must be bored

Indeed sir.

Sounds interesting, what about GSP?

GulfSurfer needs to set up three tanks, Shroom, GSP and Xenia! DO IT! :D

I am still trying to find a way of getting my deco tank plumbed into the hex. I've seen a few possibilites and am willing to blens anything of interest so long as it doesn't cost me more thna few frags or too much out of pocket. I can get xenia and GSP for like fifteen bucks a frag so it's no biggie. I might pick up a couple of frags tommorrow after I get my check and blend them up too and just toss them in the shroom tank. I think it's going to work sine most of my shrooms particles have already started to set.

johnsredline

i dont think xenia will work, but worth a shot i guess. When it stresses it tends to slime up and melt away, i would imagine cutting it into pieces that small they would just melt away. But try it and let us know

gulfsurfer101

I just got home from work and kicked on my light over the hex tank and you can see about three little green shroom frags on the sand bed. I din't see the red striped shrooms so I kicked on my koralia nano and they just seemed to pop out off the sand bed and whirl around the tank. I removed all the live rock so they don't get stuck under them and die from not getting enough light and placed all the peices in the huge overflow box along with a golfball sized ball of chaeto. I am impressed with how well all the little frags are doing so far. You can planely see them since I didn't chop them into shroom puke. Haven't noticed any nasty oder or nothing out of the norm just little tiny shrooms. The smallest peice is maybe 1/8 of an inch and looking like a survior. I plan on adding some purple rodactis frags and some blue shrooms this weekend to see how they do and add to the mix of color.

i dont think xenia will work, but worth a shot i guess. When it stresses it tends to slime up and melt away, i would imagine cutting it into pieces that small they would just melt away. But try it and let us know

I might try it out with the green star polyp type. I don't think pulsing xenia will work with this method either. I always wanted a sump full of that stuff though.

I just got home from work and kicked on my light over the hex tank and you can see about three little green shroom frags on the sand bed. I din't see the red striped shrooms so I kicked on my koralia nano and they just seemed to pop out off the sand bed and whirl around the tank. I removed all the live rock so they don't get stuck under them and die from not getting enough light and placed all the peices in the huge overflow box along with a golfball sized ball of chaeto. I am impressed with how well all the little frags are doing so far. You can planely see them since I didn't chop them into shroom puke. Haven't noticed any nasty oder or nothing out of the norm just little tiny shrooms. The smallest peice is maybe 1/8 of an inch and looking like a survior. I plan on adding some purple rodactis frags and some blue shrooms this weekend to see how they do and add to the mix of color.

I might try it out with the green star polyp type. I don't think pulsing xenia will work with this method either. I always wanted a sump full of that stuff though.

What type of substrait did you use? I didn't read a few of the pages in the middle of this thread. i'm suer you mentioned, but I was just curious. I'm thinking of throwing some flat LR into a bucket and making a few shroom rocks. But CC or shells may be the way to go.

gulfsurfer101
What type of substrait did you use? I didn't read a few of the pages in the middle of this thread. i'm suer you mentioned, but I was just curious. I'm thinking of throwing some flat LR into a bucket and making a few shroom rocks. But CC or shells may be the way to go.

No I didn't post about the tanks specs here. I posted a thread about shrooms that got moved into the members tank section that I need to get pics of soon, I'm just to lazy to do it after work. What I used is a mix of pinkish white argonite with some local crushed clam shells that I find here on the beach in the spring. I've had it in my tanks for about a year and a half and really like the green red and pink and blue's it has in it. You can't find that stuff in a LFS. It only shows up when the surf is pounding the shore grinding the little shells all up. It was the base to a very colorful 12g aquapod forever and I would hate to ditch it after tearing down that tank and going with black.

AcroporaLokani
No I didn't post about the tanks specs here. I posted a thread about shrooms that got moved into the members tank section that I need to get pics of soon, I'm just to lazy to do it after work. What I used is a mix of pinkish white argonite with some local crushed clam shells that I find here on the beach in the spring. I've had it in my tanks for about a year and a half and really like the green red and pink and blue's it has in it. You can't find that stuff in a LFS. It only shows up when the surf is pounding the shore grinding the little shells all up. It was the base to a very colorful 12g aquapod forever and I would hate to ditch it after tearing down that tank and going with black.

Sounds like some neat looking gravel.

Juanhunglo69

Don't do the xenia. I think that you will end up with a tank crash. I fragged some a while back and threw it in a jar in my sump. Some of it ended up under some of the rubble and died. I was having issues with my tank and the skimmer was pulling some stinky crap. I started looking around and discovered this jar of WTF in my sump. My wife was in the kitchen when I pulled the jar out and she could smell it. I was gagging.

AcroporaLokani
Don't do the xenia. I think that you will end up with a tank crash. I fragged some a while back and threw it in a jar in my sump. Some of it ended up under some of the rubble and died. I was having issues with my tank and the skimmer was pulling some stinky crap. I started looking around and discovered this jar of WTF in my sump. My wife was in the kitchen when I pulled the jar out and she could smell it. I was gagging.

Gross

Juanhunglo69

I did get frags of xenia out before it did this, I pulled all of the frags out of the jar or so I thought and put it back in the sump. I always try to keep rubble for frags around. That rubble went away though.

gulfsurfer101

My shrooms are growning and lots have already rounded out. I just did this about a week and a half ago if I remeber correctly. I'm still looking for more shrooms to break up the colors a bit.

AcroporaLokani
I did get frags of xenia out before it did this, I pulled all of the frags out of the jar or so I thought and put it back in the sump. I always try to keep rubble for frags around. That rubble went away though.

Sounds cool, Ill have to get some xenia the next time I order coral/

My shrooms are growning and lots have already rounded out. I just did this about a week and a half ago if I remeber correctly. I'm still looking for more shrooms to break up the colors a bit.

That sounds awesome. Can you post a pic?

Archived