Coral Vue Hydros

Mushrooms in a blender

a1rabbit

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
id love to see a play by play of this.

also, make sure the blender is then denoted as a coral only blender. mushies are pretty noxious and we wouldnt want an accident! ;)

Haha, yep, that's why I want to find a used blender.

I still don't have super high hopes for this, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

What should I feed a tank like this... if there won't be anything really in it besides some snails. Maybe I should stick in a hermit and a clown Goby or something.

C'mon gang----those mushrooms aint gonna blend themselves!!

29 posts and no one has a shroom or a blender!!!

Go to the thrift store--maybe you can find one of the small "prep" choppers--like a mini food processor. You will only pulse it for a few seconds. Maybe you can use it to chop meaty coral food afterwards.

Blender works, but doesn't work on rics unfortunately. Hell, even ripping a shroom in half works. I did that once on accident and both pieces are round again and doing great!! That was roughly 2-3 weeks ago.

firstimereefer

Asin is right Floorlord uses the blender method he told me about it after I bought the chemleon mushrooms from him. Hey if everyone starts doing this you could just sell the shroom shake.

I'm gonna try this tonight I work at the LFS and I'll pick up some stray mushrooms and toss em in a blender, BTW how much of a blend should I give em I mean when I'm done blendin' should I see small little chunks or a goo like substance?

Works like a charm!

It's not as simple as just chopping them up, and then letting em loose in your tank, atleast not for me.

I get a propping tub, fill it with LR rubble, blend the mucks, and then dump them into the tub of rubble.

It generally takes a while to have a bunch of mushrooms, but, in time, boom! You don't even really need flow IME. Just use a Home Depot bucket. Alot of them stick together once you cut them, so I just continue to stir it with chopsticks, yes gang, another use for chopsticks in the reef hobby :)

Good point Six made about using a specific blender for the job.

D

Are you saying this from first-hand experience?

I was told by Floorloord that it doesn't work on rics. Think about it though, whatever lives if you physically rip it in hlf, it'll probably work for. You can't just rip rics though, they are a bit more sensative.

It generally takes a while to have a bunch of mushrooms, but, in time, boom! You don't even really need flow IME. Just use a Home Depot bucket. Alot of them stick together once you cut them, so I just continue to stir it with chopsticks, yes gang, another use for chopsticks in the reef hobby :)

How much time we talkin here? Weeks or days? Do you have lights, carbon, etc on the bucket? Got a pic of your bucket setup FL? A lot of questions, I know, but I was thinkin about tryin this in my barren 10 gal that's basically a LR holding tank but I didn't want to 'infect' all the LR in there with the brown mushie I was goin to try with. The bucket thing would allow me to experiment. :)

As long as you're using a bucket, knowing that mushrooms don't require too much light, I'm thinking you could get away with a big cheap CF bulb that's not necessarily 10k, 20k or 50/50, something from home depot perhaps. It wouldn't look too pretty while it's in the bucket, but it should allow it to grow without killing your checkbook and look pretty in a tank under better lighting later.

Thoughts?

How much time we talkin here? Weeks or days? Do you have lights, carbon, etc on the bucket? Got a pic of your bucket setup FL? A lot of questions, I know, but I was thinkin about tryin this in my barren 10 gal that's basically a LR holding tank but I didn't want to 'infect' all the LR in there with the brown mushie I was goin to try with. The bucket thing would allow me to experiment. :)

Definetely weeks, atleast a few.

I usually use a 18W Clamp light for about 10 hours a day over the tub, and do a careful water change after about a week and a half into it, to remove detritus.

Next time I do it, I will make a whole video/tutorial/pics.

It won't infect anything! They like the dirty water! They eat too! It's really a whole lot easier than it seems.

The key is to not blend them into a puree, just chop them. Dull blades are even a good thing.

If you do decide to do it in a tank full of LR, chances are, the mushrooms will attach themselves EVERYWHERE on the LR. Not that it's a bad thing, but they do grow faster typically, after you prop them.

Phixion is absolutely right about rics, I would'nt even try it. They are sensitive to high flow, let alone a blender! lol

D

The key is to not blend them into a puree, just chop them. Dull blades are even a good thing.

D

What size mushroom chunks do you aim for? 1/4", more, less?

If you do decide to do it in a tank full of LR, chances are, the mushrooms will attach themselves EVERYWHERE on the LR.

Yup, that's what I meant by 'infect'. Ugly brown demon seed. Thanks for the tips FL, def take a vid/pics next time you do it, that'd be great.

Okay I just got finished building a dedicated blender bound acrylic tank. It is 10.25" x 8.25" x 7". I plan on putting a Aqua clear 50 on it. Do you think that I should cut the impeller to just two blades or just leave it stock. I am fortunate to be great friends with the owners of Exotic Reef & Pets in Louisville, KY. They are donating the mushrooms to this experiment. For the lighting I am going to use the screw in 50/50 CF, not sure if 1 or 2 of the bulbs. Would you go with 1"x1" marble tiles or sand for the substrate. I would rather not use live rock rubble. Please send me all of your thoughts and experiences with this. I own a lawn service and acrylic shop so I have the time to devote to this. Any help I get will be greatly appreciated.

post-6786-1171509650_thumb.jpg

post-6786-1171509679_thumb.jpg

You're really not going to end up with anything recognizeable, til after a couple of weeks.

Just do your best to get the peices seperated, after about a week. You wanna aim to have peices the size of confetti.

Whoever mentioned a Coffee grinder, that works GREAT, or esspresso grinder.

Lately I have been using one of those food choppers like this, they really do a good job for smaller batches.

4hvg9k3.jpg

D

im thinking about doing it too. we should start a thread for "Experimental Mushroom Propagation via Blendation"!

i'm thinking about the bucket, a crappy light, and rubble. maybe some of those tiles everyone used for frags to keep it ubber cheap....

I hjust finished my acrylic light for my tank. Do you think that a coralife 11 watt 6500k CF light will be enough? If anyone cares the tank in pics that I posted earlier comes out to be exactally two gallons of water. Exotic Reef gave me 7 or 8 mushrooms to blend and try. I scooped some .25 in sand/gravel out of one of their tanks, then used some water from my 7 gallon. I will cut up the shrooms tomorrow.

Archived