Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mushrooms in a blender

a1rabbit

I've just read this thread today and got excited. I wanna join this experiment. Not being greedy or what but just wanted to see if this will work for me. If yes then its good to have extra shrooms out of few, if not then at least I've tried and found out from my own experience what its like to do this.

Just a short note, to clarify some things. When I’ve mention “greed,” I was strictly referring to myself. It is not my business why others want to blend their mushroom corals. What works for some, may not work for others. Individual experimentation is key to individual success. One may seek others opinion in the process, but no matter how much help one gets from others, the last trick must be performed by himself - unfortunately for all of us, there is no other way around this. So, to everyone out there who is intrigued by this method of "coral propagation," I would not be the one who discourages you to try it for yourself. Quite the opposite, I wish you all success.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey there everyone,

i cut up a frilly a week or so ago into 4 pieces and all pieces have become shrooms except for one piece that has floated off into the wild blue yonder. Oh well still stoked about making three out of 1.

well I am beginning to see some little red mushrooms. The diatom prolem is slowly going away. The mushrooms are 1/16th in dia. Time will tell.

well I am beginning to see some little red mushrooms. The diatom prolem is slowly going away. The mushrooms are 1/16th in dia. Time will tell.

Me too, I have 2 small shrooms on the sand that I know of. About the same size, maybe 1/8".

Great thread everyone! Ill be itching to set up my 2.5 to be a part of this experiment...... i need to find a HOB filter first, or a powerhead to create flow. Keep the posts coming!!!!!

....... price is such an arbitrary topic to talk about. Let's keep it scientific and enjoy the results everyone gets.... not how much money they can make off of it.

Great thread everyone! Ill be itching to set up my 2.5 to be a part of this experiment...... i need to find a HOB filter first, or a powerhead to create flow. Keep the posts coming!!!!!

....... price is such an arbitrary topic to talk about. Let's keep it scientific and enjoy the results everyone gets.... not how much money they can make off of it.

Understood. Was just hoping to get an idea of the going price, not what the LFS sells them for. Hope we are not all doing this to just see what happens.

monkeytrumpets
Hope we are not all doing this to just see what happens.

Where's your scientific spirit? Your thirst for knowledge? I sure hope you didn't get into reefing for the vast amounts of fame and fortune it brings! :lol:

I have learned one thiing from this thread. Just proping them normally produces 150-200% more frags than the blender method and is easier. :P

Thanks!

I'm going to use the conventional method on the single mushroom I have, we need more color in the tank! might see if I can find a striped mushroom this weekend as well.

• 2 weeks later...
I have learned one thiing from this thread. Just proping them normally produces 150-200% more frags than the blender method and is easier. :P

Ya but the blender idea sounds like more fun. I think I should try this I have some little shrooms that I dont need.

So any progress from those who made the mushroom slurry?

Ya, I had at least 10 or so (that I could see) small shrooms (about 1/8" - 1/4") which were all on the sand bed, I was going to take pictures of them because they just got to the right size for photos, it looked like a little mushroom garden! When I'd see a new one I'd suck it up with the turkey baster and move it to a corner with all the others for easy management.

I had to clean my pump because it was going extremely slow and it was getting hot, I was not even thinking about the fact that the little bit of extra flow in the tank would move anything. The next morning I had... one, just one left on the sand bed and it's at the back corner. I still have a couple large ones on the rock work that I put there but only one on the sand. My guess is they are somewhere behind the rocks and hopefully the next time I clean the tank and blow out the dirt behind the rocks with the turkey baster that some of them will come out.

I wanted to see what would happen if someone did this experiment in a tank with larger pieces of live rock to see if any mushrooms would take to the rock work as a way to start a tank and have some life in it fairly quickly, from the looks of it the answer is that it's unlikely very many will take hold on the rocks but I'm still not certain. I think next time I do this they will have their own little tank with sand only or crushed coral, once they are big enough then put them on rubble.

Then again, I only used two very small mushrooms, I forget their size now but they were freebies from the coral shop when I told them what I wanted to do. I'm almost surprised I got as many as I saw and would love to try this again with at least one large mushroom, say 3-4" diameter when open and blending them to about 1/4" chunks. I think that would work quite well, possibly even with live rock.

The only problem with the live rock is that it's just too easy for the shrooms to get stuck under or behind them. Not to mention the two snails and two hermits probably moved any shrooms that did try to attach to the rock.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

if you mixed colors or types of mushrooms into 1 blender then dispersed it...would they cross link and form hybrid mushrooms?

or do they just grow from the single little pieces of original mushroom?

Archived