SaltCritters.com

NRF's NC 12DX

Needreefunds

Congrats on the birthday...the tank looks great!!

Thanks nUgZ!!

Happy Birthday NanoCube!

That really is a milestone--funny about the pump spraying you. :lol:

And what a great passel of pics in the previous post. Everything looks so colorful and healthy!

Sure have been a lot of threads talking about killer pods, recently. Almost like some wrasse conspiracy...

--Diane

Thank You too Diane!

I hope I can stay with this little tank long enough to have it look half as sweet as your TOTM . If I achieve that I will be thrilled.

I actually chuckled at myself when that pump hosed me down! ( proud of myself actually, I didn't flip out and I had NO COFFEE yet!!! )

And since I added my latest sixline, I seem to be near pod less. :D

It seems as if I was a bit early on the Birthday, thats what I get for trusting the "ticker" but close enough. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HI!!!! :D

Oh, ellooooo dare!

Wassup Weets?? No cookies?? :huh::unsure:

I can take a hint. Not much going on in this tank, but I'll post up some pics soon.

I'm going to do my first water change with Oceanic salt today. (on this tank that is ) Stay tuned.

No hints implied, just felt like saying Hi.

I look forward to seeing results from the Oceanic.

There's definitely variation between the batches. I got some Oceanic from a friend who'd had a jug for a while and it test at 460 for Ca and 4.0 meq/l for Alk. The Oceanic I've been getting from my LFS is testing at 590 for Ca and around 3.5 meq/l for Alk.

Getting ready to my first mixed Oceanic/Tropic Marin WC today.

Wait, did you mention cookies, I think I hear one calling my name NOM, NOM, NOM... :D

Well, Hello to you too my friend. Thanks for checking up on me!!

Oh boy Weetie, this salt snafu is really driving us nuts, huh?

If anything I wish they would be consistent then we could dose accordingly. I have come to realize there is no perfect salt mix out there. At this point one that seems to deliver close to natural seawater params CONSISTENTLY would be nice so we all don't have to have a walk- in closet full of additives and associated test kits. :angry:

OK, few 'cube shots anyway.

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

That blue ric up top had been in the tank before but was melted in half by the trumpet. It recovered fully in my prop tank.

BTW, since I don't have a thread for my 46g I thought I'd show you who has finally made friends ....

007-3.jpg

002-4.jpg

:)

BTW, since I don't have a thread for my 46g I thought I'd show you who has finally made friends ....

007-3.jpg

002-4.jpg

How cool is that! I love maroon clowns! Looks great and love the avatars ;)

I have a RBTA thta I moved into my 46 but the black ocelaris still hammer the candy cane every day :( The clowns moved into the RBTA the first night until the RBTA moved and now they have nothing to do with it.

Oh, Richie, your cube is so pretty! What nice colors! I really like the polyp definition in that trumpet shot! Sweet acan and of course I love that plump ric.

Funny your trumpet hurt one of your rics. I let a couple of my pink rics drift into contact with my B. merleti twice, recently, and each time they killed 3 blasto polyps! And it was only a matter of a few hours of contact. :(

--Diane

How cool is that! I love maroon clowns! Looks great and love the avatars ;)

I have a RBTA thta I moved into my 46 but the black ocelaris still hammer the candy cane every day :( The clowns moved into the RBTA the first night until the RBTA moved and now they have nothing to do with it.

VERY cool, Brett. B) I did take about six weeks though. Funny too, the spot the 'nem called home is an archway in the rock work. After seeing it hosting and snapping these pics, in the morning I found they had moved to the BACK of the opening :o It figures, just my luck. As it turns out they pivot front and back- no telling where they might be at any given time. At this point as long as both are healthy I'm happy. :) And that little FIJI was so bright yellow yesterday it almost made a reefer cry....then the lights went off.

Oh, Richie, your cube is so pretty! What nice colors! I really like the polyp definition in that trumpet shot! Sweet acan and of course I love that plump ric.

Funny your trumpet hurt one of your rics. I let a couple of my pink rics drift into contact with my B. merleti twice, recently, and each time they killed 3 blasto polyps! And it was only a matter of a few hours of contact. :(

--Diane

Thanks Diane!!

So how does it feel to be a NR rock star?? B):lol:

I'm still trying to get better with the camera. Its hard to to get rid of the blue hue.

That trumpet gets super poofy I love it.

The ric took out the blasto's huh?

Ok, so its trumpets over rics over blasto's . Got it. ;)

:lol:

Picked up a Green Toadstool from Cmaria today. ( OK, two actually! ) I sent him some chaeto a while back and he offered these to me as a Thank You.

Thank YOU CIRO!!! Very nice meeting you and I'm lovin' these toadies!

In my Nano-Cube

018-2.jpg

017-2.jpg

Here is the other one starting to open in my prop tank

008-4.jpg

Excuse me, I'm trying to take a picture here...

Nope, I ain't gettin' outta yur way till you feed me!!

009-4.jpg

Watta pain in the Wrasse!

Silly Sixline...... :rolleyes:

And that little FIJI was so bright yellow yesterday it almost made a reefer cry....then the lights went off.

Excellent! :D I should frag that mother colony again ;)

That toadstool looks cool, maybe once it grows enough I can get a frag from you down the road for my display tank.

I really like that red macro in the back right, what is that?

I also really like the mushroom in these pics:

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

Nice to see some updates!

Excuse me, I'm trying to take a picture here...

Nope, I ain't gettin' outta yur way till you feed me!!

009-4.jpg

Watta pain in the Wrasse!

Grrrroooaannn...

LOL! Cute pic!

What a super looking toadstool morph!

--Diane

That toadstool looks cool, maybe once it grows enough I can get a frag from you down the road for my display tank.

Oh, I'm pretty sure we can arrange that. ;)

I really like that red macro in the back right, what is that?

Not positive, possibly Scinaia sp ? Another shot...

006-6.jpg

I also really like the mushroom in these pics:

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

Nice to see some updates!

Thanks Weetie, I think I can also get you one of those red mushies from my 46g. :)

Grrrroooaannn...

LOL! Cute pic!

What a super looking toadstool morph!

--Diane

I just couldn't help myself......

:lol:

Excellent! :D I should frag that mother colony again ;)

Start slicin' Brett!!

Here is my formula for attachment.

1% soapdish +1% rubble+1% netting + 97% blind luck= Happy attached Yellow Fiji. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

009-4.jpg

They do get in your face, don't they. Cute little buggers.

Do you have a separate thread for the bigger tank? Looks nice. Sorry about all those problems with the zoas. Kind of got me scared because I plan on getting more zoas for my tank........

Better go do my research.

Needreefunds
009-4.jpg

They do get in your face, don't they. Cute little buggers.

Do you have a separate thread for the bigger tank? Looks nice. Sorry about all those problems with the zoas. Kind of got me scared because I plan on getting more zoas for my tank........

Better go do my research.

Boris!! Hello!

Six lines are loaded with personality and sure know how to ham it up for the camera. Beautiful, inexpensive reef workhorses for sure. Unfortunately they do love to carpet surf :(

I need to get my act together and start a thread for my 46g. There have been a few requests and so I will happily start one very soon.

As for the zoas.........I think I am just one of the unfortunate ones that simply have no luck keeping them. I am finding more and more people with similar troubles, yet I still cannot pinpoint where the "problem" is.

Thanks for stopping by B!

Now that I found your cube thread I can stalk and pester you here till I get to see pics of that new addition you got!

How fast does that red macro in the top back left of the cube grow? I haven't been able to find some good macro I like yet. Well Aquatic Obsessions has some growing on the rock in the BC14, but they aren't getting rid of any yet.

Nice cube, can't wait to see the 46 thread. Seeing as everyone's been posting pics of their prop tanks I'm thinking you might as well just have threads for all three. Then you'd be B)

Needreefunds
Now that I found your cube thread I can stalk and pester you here till I get to see pics of that new addition you got!

What, this??

009.jpg

How fast does that red macro in the top back left of the cube grow? I haven't been able to find some good macro I like yet. Well Aquatic Obsessions has some growing on the rock in the BC14, but they aren't getting rid of any yet.

I'd say that was a good 4-6 months growth from when I first noticed it. That large piece broke off. I attached it to some rubble and placed it in my 46. It was cool for a few days, then broke off and now it is stuck in the rock work where I can't find it. :angry: But it has started to sprout from the same rock again! :happy:

Nice cube, can't wait to see the 46 thread. Seeing as everyone's been posting pics of their prop tanks I'm thinking you might as well just have threads for all three. Then you'd be B)
Thanks. Prop tank is still in flux. I am gathering stuffs to add a 10g sump / fuge. I have the tank. I ordered the overflow kit ( rapids pro, like I run on the 46 ) return pump and I recently scored a Tunze 9010 skimmer on ebay. It will need work when I get it, but I am very hopeful I will have a good skimmer at a very good price in the end.

Maybe I'll start a thread for the 46 soon. Oh, WTH, I'll do it now...... :D

What, this??

009.jpg

Exactly that! I love it! Can't wait for it to grow out. Then all of a sudden you'll be wondering what happened to it.... :ninja:

Maybe I'll start a thread for the 46 soon. Oh, WTH, I'll do it now...... :D

Great. I'll go check that out now.

-Jay

• 1 month later...
Needreefunds

Hey guys, It has been a little while. Some new shots....

Green Toady

002-6.jpg

The larger of the two Kenya trees in this tank

005-5.jpg

Poofy trumpets

011-4.jpg

012-4.jpg

017-3.jpg

Blasto's from Mvite. Not yet doing as well as Weeties but I am trying..

020-3.jpg

Hammer time

019-3.jpg

Hitch hiker snail killer who has otherwise behaved so far..

018-3.jpg

Mushies

015-4.jpg

Acans, both from Mvite. Left I think was a Red Robot frag originally from Adin

and right is Mvites Joe Maumaugh

014-4.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

brshriver

NRF, NRF, NRF....glad to see some new posts ;)

Pics look great. You are on a LPS kick now eh? ;)

Weetabix7

Still loving the Green Toadie, and the ricordea corner looks nice too.

I'm wondering if your difficulty with the blasto's might have anything to do with the size of the frag. The frag that you have there looks much smaller than the mini-colony sized piece that I have.

If you have major problems with yours down the road, I might be able to frag mine for you.

For whatever reason, those guys do seem to be picky though, and I may have just gotten lucky.

Hey guys, It has been a little while. Some new shots....

Green Toady

002-6.jpg

The larger of the two Kenya trees in this tank

005-5.jpg

Poofy trumpets

011-4.jpg

012-4.jpg

017-3.jpg

Blasto's from Mvite. Not yet doing as well as Weeties but I am trying..

020-3.jpg

Hammer time

019-3.jpg

Hitch hiker snail killer who has otherwise behaved so far..

018-3.jpg

Mushies

015-4.jpg

Acans, both from Mvite. Left I think was a Red Robot frag originally from Adin

and right is Mvites Joe Maumaugh

014-4.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Just thought we needed these pics on this page...:)

Nice to see an update! When we told you to start a thread on your big tank*, we didn't mean "neglect this one."

That toadie is so lush, and the Kenya tree so lacy. Those trumpets look extremely happy, and the blasto may be tiny but it sure is purty! (Do you target feed it? Mine likes to eat...) Gorgeous colors on that hammer! Cool to get a hermit hitcher! All the rest are lovely.

Great update!

--Diane

* This originally read, "on your big one," but on preview I thought, "NO! I can't give Richie an opening like that!" :D

Needreefunds
NRF, NRF, NRF....glad to see some new posts

Pics look great. You are on a LPS kick now eh?

Yeah, I know, way behind in the updates. I shall try to stay on top of this.

LPS kick, ME?? :huh: Why would you say that?

I love Zoa too, but they don't care for me or my reefing techniques I guess. So for now LPS heavy it is.

Until I find whatever I'm lacking I really don't have much choice..... <_<

Still loving the Green Toadie, and the ricordea corner looks nice too.

I'm wondering if your difficulty with the blasto's might have anything to do with the size of the frag. The frag that you have there looks much smaller than the mini-colony sized piece that I have.

If you have major problems with yours down the road, I might be able to frag mine for you.

For whatever reason, those guys do seem to be picky though, and I may have just gotten lucky.

Green toady for Weetie. Check :happy:

Rics on the bottom are just sort of hangin out there, not much growth. the orange yuma closer to the top is makin' babies like crazy. I'll try to get pics. This is the best the blasto's have looked in a while. I think I have been trying too many locations too quickly with these guys. I will leave them here for a month or two as they look pretty good. We will get a trade going soon Weets. :)

Just thought we needed these pics on this page...:)

Nice to see an update! When we told you to start a thread on your big tank*, we didn't mean "neglect this one."

That toadie is so lush, and the Kenya tree so lacy. Those trumpets look extremely happy, and the blasto may be tiny but it sure is purty! (Do you target feed it? Mine likes to eat...) Gorgeous colors on that hammer! Cool to get a hermit hitcher! All the rest are lovely.

Great update!

--Diane

* This originally read, "on your big one," but on preview I thought, "NO! I can't give Richie an opening like that!" :D

Thanks Diane, and thanks for bringing the pics with you! Yes, I shall try to do better with updates for both tanks. As for feeding the blasto's , it has been so long since they showed me any PE I had given up trying! But I hope they will eat soon!

....."big one..." :haha: ------yup, cutting that out was a good move! ;):lol:

Thanks for checking up any me guys!

I love Zoa too, but they don't care for me or my reefing techniques I guess. So for now LPS heavy it is.

Until I find whatever I'm lacking I really don't have much choice..... <_<

Zoas can grow like weeds or be pretty fincky. If it makes you feel better, I lost a few strains in my 110 when an anemone died and I did not know it. They closed up and turned white. When the water quailty returned, so did zoa health.

There are threads on reef central where experienced reefers never did find out why their zoa colonies crashed. A healthy colony would be right next to one that crashed.

Needreefunds
Zoas can grow like weeds or be pretty fincky. If it makes you feel better, I lost a few strains in my 110 when an anemone died and I did not know it. They closed up and turned white. When the water quailty returned, so did zoa health.

There are threads on reef central where experienced reefers never did find out why their zoa colonies crashed. A healthy colony would be right next to one that crashed.

Very true. This is pretty much what happened to me. Whatever it is / was I never saw it with my test kits. I have some that have been with me since I started but I have also lost so many beautiful morphs it makes me sick! :angry:

I have read many threads on this very thing and while it makes me feel a bit better that it may not have been anything I did "wrong", it is still upsetting that something died in my care.

Since adding the sump and fuge to my 20L prop tank, along with more live rock, everything looks very happy in there.

Found my emerald crab dead, upside down in the sand. Had him quite a while..... :( so sad :tears: o well...

So, waddaya think?? Cleaner shrimp?? Another emerald?? Pom-poms?? To refresh, just the corals, snails, and Sixline in here now. In also would love a Yellow Clown Goby in here, but not sure... :unsure:

What? oh, yeah, well can't be sad forever. Gottsta move on!

Archived