Top Shelf Aquatics

acrylic 6g long

exigency

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Such an awesome tank! This is one of the tanks that made me think about converting a 5g frag tank. I love the extreme horizontal format!

Is it hard keeping that black sand clean?

heck yes, there's so much detrius that is ALWAYS on the sand. my nassarius does jack squat to sift the sand, so what i do is siphon out the detrius weekly into a bucket and then just replace the sand that was siphoned out after rinsing it.

Such an awesome tank! This is one of the tanks that made me think about converting a 5g frag tank. I love the extreme horizontal format!

thanks! aha, i just love the shallow/tidepool look, i also love the penetration i can get from my T5 HO's.

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't gotten around to covering up the white PVC I see...

You should rubberband some GSP on both outlets, that'd actually cover them up pretty nicely. I honestly think they detract from the overall appearance of the tank.

thanks so much for the compliments hecsrt-4, i appreciate it. sushi, i am starting to get spots of coraline everywhere in my tank, so i will let time do it's thing.

anyways, well, i am currently bummed out. i went back home for the weekend and everything couldn't have been better with the tank. i just got back to my apartment and everything still looked good, but i couldn't find the female harlequin. i looked into the back of the caves and i saw a body that was rocking back and forth, i was guessing it was a molt, but then i used a turkey baster to blow it out to dispose of it and it was the dead body of the harlequin. a bunch of body parts just flew out and i looked at the underside of the shrimp and there were TONS of eggs. i can't win them all, so i just made the best of it by feeding my acan with the eggs..also, my torch fell onto my sun coral and stung the living heck out of it, half of the sun coral's polyps are mottled with black "burns". what a great way to end the weekend! it'll be alright though, in due time, things will recover.

• 3 weeks later...

well, to start off this post, i was off on a retreat for the week and everything was fine and dandy with my tank when i left. out of the blue, i receive a call on my last day at the resort (yesterday) and hear that my tank had crashed because of a fried powersurge from a thunderstorm that passed by 2 days before. so i was thinking about everything that was lost over the period of 2 days being exposed. i quickly told my roommate that just gotten back to the apartment some steps to attempt to recover what's left of my tank. i got the most information possible about the looks of the tank and zoomed home early from the retreat. my timers and the whole socket, along with the male plug of the powersurge were all charred and melted. i see my tank running, thank God for my roommate, but my clams, all my corals on the top of my tank, and my male harlequin shrimp are gone. surprisingly, there were many survivors though, my acan, fungia, emerald crab, some softies/zoos, and all my snails. well, to keep it short, i just did a water change and i am hoping for the best now.

circusordie16

sorry about your tank, hopefully the survivors recover quickly. ive been thinking about making my own shallow/long tank following your dimensions. good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

ah, it's been quite a while and my tank is recovering very nicely, most of the corals are coming back that were severely damaged. i haven't added any new livestock and won't for quite a while, but i am planning on getting some clams and probably some more corals, but nothing else really. i've got coralline spots almost everywhere in the tank and it's starting to take over. i'll post some pics sometime for those that may still be trailing this thread.

ah, it's been quite a while and my tank is recovering very nicely, most of the corals are coming back that were severely damaged. i haven't added any new livestock and won't for quite a while, but i am planning on getting some clams and probably some more corals, but nothing else really. i've got coralline spots almost everywhere in the tank and it's starting to take over. i'll post some pics sometime for those that may still be trailing this thread.

What's the noise level on your overflow? I'm thinking about something similar.

What's the noise level on your overflow? I'm thinking about something similar.

it's VERY loud, haha, i would not follow my design on an overflow. i have something to cover it, but it's still pretty loud nonetheless. i do have a pretty sensitive ear though -_-

your tank looks/looked amazing. very nice

thank you so much, i really hope i can get some pictures up soon for you ladies and gents to check out the recovery my tank is making. i am just so busy with my schedule.

circusordie16

is it 6" tall or 8" tall? your dimensions say 24 x 6 x 8 but in the pictures it looks to me like its wider than it is tall.

circusordie16

do you ever wish it was taller? im making plans for a shallow, long tank but im a little worried that 6" is almost too short.

occasionally, but it makes it so much easier to clean and what not with it being so shallow. i don't run into many problems with it, or as of yet..

• 4 weeks later...

these will probably be the worst pictures i have ever taken. all these have been taken with my phone's camera and are obviously shot with poor quality. these pictures do my tank absolutely no justice, but i think it's long overdue for some pictures. i will probably bust out the d70 this weekend, rather than continue to put it off. these pictures were taken after a thorough water change, so the corals aren't opened up to their full potential quite yet and the tank hasn't cleared up completely, the pictures are also very discolored and dull. the good thing is that the coralline has really started to take off in my tank! btw, i received all that pocillopora from a friend because it wasn't doing so well in his tank, so i am trying to recover it, that's why it looks so bad right now.

FTS

l_29ae64f6fe16d18cab5b1cd511c36782.jpg

LEFT

l_7d0bed544a71fd2b86ab3389aa9b6a0c.jpg

CENTER

l_b6a3192f5c4cad10098d5120d1b31eab.jpg

RIGHT

l_2743338e05f165529c8e2f45460a1b4c.jpg

LEFT RETURN

l_e5ccf6e4f89d67f70212398add4fb0a6.jpg

RIGHT RETURN

l_ee773741a231f3cd2d0a686e24231afe.jpg

SIDE SHOT

l_5bb7f334815ebc0f6257ac41d4b9fa5f.jpg

TRAINED SUN CORAL

l_63f2c3b17204f073929556a604de128c.jpg

SUMP

l_cf62968cf6a81054dfe4dcfb03b75f74.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

man u really gots to pull out ur d7o cuz man, thats some whacko pics.. haha but yea overall is nice, how come the coco worm aint out?

Archived