Innovative Marine Aquariums

Phixion's Finnex 30g glass

Phixion

Oceanic 30g

So how's the T5's working out over your tank so far?? Oceanic has a NICE 57g glass tank that's out (or should be coming out) that I saw at a local trade show recently.

T5's are great. No heat! I am anxious to see the 57! Is it a cube? I may need to upgrade!!!!!!!

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So how's the T5's working out over your tank so far?? Oceanic has a NICE 57g glass tank that's out (or should be coming out) that I saw at a local trade show recently.

T5's are great. No heat! I am anxious to see the 57! Is it a cube? I may need to upgrade!!!!!!!

Not a cube. It's called the Illumati or something similar to that. VERY nice tank!

Gene, it was the Chino Hills quake we had last year. My dresser was top-heavy at the time, so that's probably why it fell, lol! But the tank did great, only had water splash out of it according to the wife who was home just after it hit. Nothing in the tank fell over, but i think things are different in the water than outside of it, I'm not sure really... CA sure has been rocking lately, just got an email about 10 mins ago about a 3.5 near Danville and Diablo... :scarry:

In any event, I'm gonna start making water tonite to get this tank back in action, YAY!! :D

Great tank! Hi there! So this is one of my top AIO options and I was wondering if you have heard anything concerning the latest Finnex T5 and MH fixtures. I don't know if I would go with one of those or go with another brand like Aquatinics TX5 or another MH/T5 combo - want something with good par for a broad spectrum of life support, but it must also be a very quiet fixture.

• 1 month later...
Great tank! Hi there! So this is one of my top AIO options and I was wondering if you have heard anything concerning the latest Finnex T5 and MH fixtures. I don't know if I would go with one of those or go with another brand like Aquatinics TX5 or another MH/T5 combo - want something with good par for a broad spectrum of life support, but it must also be a very quiet fixture.

Hi James, not sure if you saw it but I replied to this about a week ago, but it got lost when NR went down the other day. :( Anyways, if you didn't see it I was saying that I've heard the new T5 fixture with the 9 x 1w LEDs is really goot, especially since it has IR's now. The MH I haven't heard too much bad about except that the legs are metal and slightly dip into the water. A good alternative would be a Sunpod or a Outer Orbit HQI MH fixture. PAR is mostly bulb dependant though, so with the right bulb and fixture will have good PAR numbers. :)

So anywho I got my Finnex all set back up last night, fired everything up and the stupid Rio 14HF pump I have for the main return decided it doesn't want to work anymore and won't turn on. :rant: So this evening when I get home I have to take it out, figure out if it'll actually work still or not, and if not then I gotta modify (I think) for the stock 475gph pump to go back in place. Good thing I hung onto it, I was currently using it as the pump for the ATO to my 10g tank, LOL! Not sure why the Rio isn't working anymore though, I had thuroughly cleaned it up to almost like new when I took the tank down when I moved 7 months ago. <_< Other than that slight blunderm the tank looks great otherwise, just need to get all the wires and cables organized. In the meantime here's a couple pics I snapped of one of the most important features I added to the setup, especially for where I live...

tank_strap.jpg

tank_strap2.jpg

Should the Big One hit, this tank isn't moving anywhere! That's right, a steel cable quake strap. ;)

I am using the original pump on my Finnex, although I had to clip the impeller a little so it wouldn't return too much.

It was too much for you?? In my case it wasn't enough, the Rio 14HF pump is rated at 840gph, so almost double the stock Finnex pump. That along with a Koralia 2 gave me great flow. B)

It was too much for you?? In my case it wasn't enough, the Rio 14HF pump is rated at 840gph, so almost double the stock Finnex pump. That along with a Koralia 2 gave me great flow. B)

i wanted to upgrade the stock pump too, but i just put an mp20 in so i think im good on flow now. i had a thread started, but since the forum crashed it was lost...

I purchased my model in October of 2008. Do you have a different model maybe? The newer models have a problem that if you put any media in the sponge area, it blocks water from flowing through fast enough (because its too narrow) and it slowly pumps more into the display while draining the reservoir. Anyway can't wait to see your Finnex, with the new solana and such their becoming a dying breed.

I have the original 1st generation model, no narrow areas where water flows. My fuge is on the far right side, pump chamber in the middle, and skimmer/intake chamber on the left side. Honestly, I think the tank is better this way. I bought my tank Dec. '06 just a couple weeks before they stopped producing the model I have.

• 2 weeks later...

The wait is over, this tank is back in action and with a vengance! B) Keep in mind, these tanks are from today AFTER getting back from my 8 day vacation in Hawaii. And BTW, I got this tank all set back up 36 hours before leaving on said trip. Not having anyone currently close enough to keep an eye on the tank, I set up an 8g bucket of RO/DI for the ATO and hoped for the best. Came home, and fortunately everything was still alive and thriving, except for my poor meanie weenie clown which was MIA. :( Couldn't locate him INside or OUTside of the tank... Strangely enough though, with the house being in the mid 80's by day (had a nice 100+ heatwave much of the week here while I was gone) the tank only sucked up 2g of the RO/DI so the 8g bucket (it's a Teco brand salt mix bucket which come in an 8 gallon size) was still 3/4 full when I returned home. Anyways on with a couple pics. And please click the thumbnails to see the full size pics.

FTS of the tank itself...

th_FTS_0725_09.jpg

FTS of the entire tank setup, the Solana 150w MH disco ball works very well with the tank:

th_FTS_setup_072509.jpg

Looks good phix glad everything was still in tact.

Oh yeah, thank goodness LOL! With pieces of it scattered throughout the garage and inside the house and being used with the temp tank I had set up, I'm surprised I could get it all to come together so nicely. But so far so good!! B) Now to get me a mag-rack going...

I'm thinking I don't like the current rock scape, but my pieces I have don't allow me much optiond, bleh! lol! :P Clown is still MIA, and probably non existant is my best guess now. Tank otherwise is doing great!! Some of my zoas seem to be browning, maybe I should start moving them up into more light?? hmm... I also set up the dual R2 moonlights I had previously inside the stock Finnex T5 fixture, and put them along each side of the top frame of the tank. Loooks good there. Pics of that as well, soon. :)

Tank is looking good; I can not wait to see it return to it's former glory!

Thanks bud, me either. Slowly but surely it'll get there. :)

Swung by the LFS on my way home yesterday and picked up a nice mini colony frag of some blue zoas as well as a large'ish peppermint shrimp to hopefully help clean up some aiptasia that was browing on a couple of the rocks from when they were in the temp tank I had set up. First LFS coral purchase in a year I'd say, lol! :P Pics to come soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, some long awaited pics...

Remember, click the small ones foer the full sized...

FTS with lights on...

th_FTS_08_23.jpg

Night time FTS with moonlights only on... (pair of R2 LEDs)

th_FTSNT_08_23.jpg

Another nite time shot, but from the side... I actually did a white balance custom set for these nite pics so that the blue won't wash out the pics and the colors that pop will actually stand out...

th_Nite_brite.jpg

And lastly a glory shot of my prized LE watermelon chalice which will be fragged soon, but sorry won't be FS on here unfortunately. Have a list of local buyers waiting... It's actually starting to grow right off the plug it's on:

th_wmelon_new.jpg

Archived