Top Shelf Aquatics

humane way to kill fish

sharky

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most humane way to kill a fish is , leave it in it's natural enviorment!

What a smart ass!

Maybe it wasnt' healthy and I got it during the downswing? I have 2 clowns and 6 line in there and they have been going strong for 9 months now. we'll see I guess.

Who's the smart ass? God I wish people would just take the time to be more careful with how they put things in here. I have such issues with people talking trash with nothing to go on but being full of themselves. STOP, THINK and then respond after taking the macho, emotional crap out of it. Give good intelligent answers or go away.

People are identifying with something that's brain can only instinctively sense a biological imperative to eat, swim, and reproduce. I wouldn't want to teach a kid that humans should "humanely" kill animals when they find it necessary.

well the waiting game

The waiting game? That makes no sense when there has been no real treatment. Why did you recommend to smorrismi to "take a bowl add tank water and drop salinity to 21 with freshwater"? Seriously that makes no sense based on what I read unless I'm missing something major piece (point it out if I am!)...

You cannot make an accurate diagnosis (barring "luck") without having a full account of the symptoms and conditions along with a detailed time line. Nothing against you BA, just playing the advocate here, but how is moving the fish from it's tank to a bowl with different (presumably the tank was not at 1.021 S.G.) specific gravity (but the same tank water) going to change anything at all (based on the limited symptoms listed)?

smorris I'm sorry for your fish but honestly you're not helping it. What is the #1 killer of fish? In a word, stress. Fish are driven by instinct, not emotion. They can't cope with stress (I don't mean emotional stress like "stress at work", I mean environmental stress, like fluctuating pH, being handled, etc...). When a fish shows symptoms of illness it was most likely triggered by stress (and fish are easily stressed!). So by taking an already sick fish and messing with it more than necessary you're not doing it any favors. To give a sick fish it's best chance at survival you as the keeper need to make the appropriate actions based on the symptoms. If you think your fish has some strange illness that nobody else has had you're probably wrong. If you don't think that, great! I would start a new thread in the diseases area and give a thorough explanation of the symptoms, conditions, and include a time line. Then someone can actually give you reasonable ideas for a diagnosis and appropriate treatments instead of a simple, worthless, "feel good" treatment that will likely do more harm than good. The best approach is to create a treatment plan based on your best diagnosis because that is what is most likely to cure the fish without having to subject it to unnecessary stress.

In the example of a doctor at a hospital, which is more likely to cure a case of strep throat? A doctor who, without looking at your throat diagnoses your fever and sore throat as a common cold, tells you to take cough syrup, and go home (only for you to have to go back 3 days later as your symptoms get worse and you miss more work/school)? Or a doctor who asks you questions about your symptoms, looks at your throat, does a culture, and other tests to confirm what you actually have so that he can give you the antibiotics you need and then you're back to your normal routine in a day or so?

A good example is the OP of this thread. Who the heck told him that a sterilizer (I assume a UV sterilizer) was an effective treatment for ich? Curing ich (cryptocaryon irritans in SW) is actually very very easy... You remove the fish from the display tank immediately to a simple QT ($20 in materials!!!! Free for many of us who have excess fish stuff anyways!) and treat with copper or hyposalinity! There are of course other appropriate methods and medications (and a lot of observation involved), but those are some of the simplest/easily accessed. So this whole thread is basically a result of sharky being too lazy/unprepared to actually do some research and apply some critical thinking to his problem. Granted there are no guarantees in life, but it's not about guaranteed outcomes, it's about giving a sick fish it's best shot at survival. I would welcome being proved wrong that a UV sterilizer is an effective treatment (by itself) for crypto through a reliable source!!!

Sorry for the rant, I just couldn't stop typing... Good luck.

*Edit* I now realized that sharkys clownfish may have also had a fungal infection. Same arguement with the UV sterilizer applies here as well, and obviously there are a variety of easily accessible medications for fungal infections as well...

Builder Anthony

it was 2 dilute toxins

i didnt think he had premixed water

guys on page 6 in a topic called xxxxxxx

syntoms i read matcthed a incident i described above.

its better advice then some rude comments

Maybe it wasnt' healthy and I got it during the downswing? I have 2 clowns and 6 line in there and they have been going strong for 9 months now. we'll see I guess.

Who's the smart ass? God I wish people would just take the time to be more careful with how they put things in here. I have such issues with people talking trash with nothing to go on but being full of themselves. STOP, THINK and then respond after taking the macho, emotional crap out of it. Give good intelligent answers or go away.

Your funny!

Take a look in the mirror!

Builder Anthony

i dont see why u would want to start a flame war when this guy is haven problems with his fish,have a little respect

Dude kill the fish!

I think its funny we can talk about killing a fish for hours ! Lololololo lighten up and flame out %#*^

You took responsibility for the poor thing so man up and put it out of my misery!

You're all going to hell.

j/k

Unfortunately, working at a fish store I have to deal with this occasionally. My boss usually uses the freezer technique. Personally, I guess the way I deal with it is by not dealing with it. I just let nature take its course. After they pass, I flush them. I just have no interest in being the inducer of death, kind of a moral/ethics thing on my end. I have used the freezer technique myself though on a few rare occasions when things were looking very bad.

I don't know that there really is a easy painless method for doing this with out using barbiturates, sedatives, or other anesthetics. The average joe doesn't have access to these drugs though, so I guess the only thing you can do is just use your best judgment.

Come to think of it though, if you drink enough alcohol it can have a sedative/anesthetic effect eventually leading to death if intake is continued. Perhaps one could open a beer, pour half for yourself and titrate the other half into a container w/ saltwater and the fish?? :) j/k

I'd probably just go with the freezer method.

I haven't read this whole thread and don't know if someone had said this, but you should NOT be flushing fish, esp working at a pet store! They can introduce pathogens into the wild! That has to be illegal for a business to do that, no way would DNR allow that. You could be risking fines or your fish selling license, and if not, you SHOULD. JMO

Hey BA, sorry if I went a little overboard (post didn't seem that long in the little reply window) :P

But honestly I don't really care to flame and I don't think my post was really a flame... I believe that the points brought up are valid. I think it's relevant to both smorris's situation (where I told him to create a new thread for his fish's symptoms, including more facts, conditions, and a timeline - in order to obtain a more accurate diagnosis/treatment) and to the thread in general because it's my opinion that you don't need to consider euthanasia until after you've made your best efforts to treat. It would just be a waste of resources and money to kill a fish that's capable of being treated.

I didn't read anything from smorris about 2 toxins (the only toxins I read about in this thread were those administered to intentionally kill a fish)... and the only symptoms I saw could be explained by any number of things...

Well... the poor tang wasnt' going to live. SO, I took it out of the water quickly. wrapped him into some papertowels and hit him once in the head with a hammer. The most humane way I could possibly do it... Fast and painless to the head. It sucks, but thanks to you who helped with ideas and constructive suggestions!

Archived