Pod Your Reef

humane way to kill fish

sharky

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have read somewhere that the most human way is to put them in a glass and to put the glass in the freezer. The post I read says that it puts them to sleep without pain. But I don;t really know how true that is.

Billabong_Fish
whatever happened to the good ol' toilet method? people now days make things way too hard on themselves... sheesh.

Nobody likes to be treated like SHlT lol

Are you going to explain why?

i thought you would know. here is info from the GSAS (greater seattle aquarium society)

------------------------------------------

The method of freezing may not be the nice, pain and trauma-free, method that many people like to think it is. Freezing a fish to death may be trauma free for you, simply pop `Mr. Bubbles' in a box---out of sight and out of mind---until a few hours later when viola! Fish popsicle.

Unfortunately, while Mr. Bubbles may look like he died in peace, with no signs of a struggle, there are several ways to interpret this observation. A few of them are; a) the fish died quietly with no struggle and therefore no pain, B) the fish had no obvious pain causing stimulation that it was able to evade, and therefore it remained still until death occurred, c) the act of moving became a painful stimulation causing the fish to remain still during freezing.

In freezing to death, we humans get to experience some nice brain chemicals. Our complex brains have a few tricks that make pain and damage to our bodies much easier to bear. When experiencing great pain, we get a rush of endorphins, and when freezing we get put into a state of euphoria. As bad as freezing to death sounds, I've been told that as far as `preferred' methods of dying go, freezing is one of the most pleasant. Well, for mammals at least.

Mr. Bubbles doesn?t have a very complex brain, and he wouldn?t have the same experience of freezing that we would. Warm-blooded animals need to maintain a steady body temperature. When they cannot maintain their body heat, their health declines and the brain puts the chemical factory into over-time in an attempt to soften the blow of the trauma.

Since most fish commonly kept in aquaria are endothermic, they do not maintain a steady internal body temperature. Their body temperature is the same as the environment in which they find themselves.

When exactly does death occur when freezing a fish? I?m sure it occurs sometime after the fish starts to feel its body being damaged by the process. By the time the cellular walls are bursting I?m pretty sure that the fish has taken its last gasp, but a great deal of damage (pain) occurs before death does.

freezing isn't a humane way to euthanize a fish, it is also reported that ice crystals can form in the bloodstream, which can cause pain. remember, you and the fish are different, just cuz you think it'll be peaceful on your body doesn't mean the same on the fish.

Tricaine Methanesulfonate (TMS). This method is probably the most quoted by people with much experience in euthanizing fish humanely (i.e. for university experiments, etc.). TMS is also known as MS222 and commercially is known as Finquel. According to fish biologist Meyers' blog, simply by doubling the regular dose that you would use to anesthetize the fish will euthanize it. This substance is FDA approved for anesthetizing and euthanizing fish; it is the only product that is FDA approved to anesthetize fish. This is the product.

I have read somewhere that the most human way is to put them in a glass and to put the glass in the freezer. The post I read says that it puts them to sleep without pain. But I don;t really know how true that is.

the glass would break. u mean a plastic cup? hehe.

Guinness, flour and hot grease - Side of fries

mmmm, butterfly fish are yummy. nemo is better!

Just let Tinyreef keep them in his tank for a day or two.......

LOL

Nobody likes to be treated like SHlT lol

LOL LOL

....just chop the head off and be done with it, not made, the brain will be separated from the rest of the body...duh...

yeah, but who is really going to do that to a pet? RDT RDT RDT RDT!!!

I've heard ocean fisherman who put alcohol on the fish's gills. It causes them to suffocate very quickly. Kind of an important thing when you hook an angry 20lb mahi mahi and land him in the boat.

Probably not as quick as chopping off the head or cutting the spine, but may be quicker and kinder than freezing. With fish our size you could just put him in a small bowl of alcohol and it should be over fairly quick.

EZ, just trying to past the time, I'm stuck in a hotel room with nothing to do...

Oh, and BTW, there's a good chance I'll change it again before the day is over 28.gif

i thought you would know. here is info from the GSAS (greater seattle aquarium society)

The method of freezing may not be the nice, pain and trauma-free, method that many people like to think it is. Freezing a fish to death may be trauma free for you, simply pop `Mr. Bubbles' in a box---out of sight and out of mind---until a few hours later when viola! Fish popsicle.

Unfortunately, while Mr. Bubbles may look like he died in peace, with no signs of a struggle, there are several ways to interpret this observation. A few of them are; a) the fish died quietly with no struggle and therefore no pain, B) the fish had no obvious pain causing stimulation that it was able to evade, and therefore it remained still until death occurred, c) the act of moving became a painful stimulation causing the fish to remain still during freezing.

In freezing to death, we humans get to experience some nice brain chemicals. Our complex brains have a few tricks that make pain and damage to our bodies much easier to bear. When experiencing great pain, we get a rush of endorphins, and when freezing we get put into a state of euphoria. As bad as freezing to death sounds, I've been told that as far as `preferred' methods of dying go, freezing is one of the most pleasant. Well, for mammals at least.

Mr. Bubbles doesn?t have a very complex brain, and he wouldn?t have the same experience of freezing that we would. Warm-blooded animals need to maintain a steady body temperature. When they cannot maintain their body heat, their health declines and the brain puts the chemical factory into over-time in an attempt to soften the blow of the trauma.

Since most fish commonly kept in aquaria are endothermic, they do not maintain a steady internal body temperature. Their body temperature is the same as the environment in which they find themselves.

When exactly does death occur when freezing a fish? I?m sure it occurs sometime after the fish starts to feel its body being damaged by the process. By the time the cellular walls are bursting I?m pretty sure that the fish has taken its last gasp, but a great deal of damage (pain) occurs before death does.

freezing isn't a humane way to euthanize a fish, it is also reported that ice crystals can form in the bloodstream, which can cause pain. remember, you and the fish are different, just cuz you think it'll be peaceful on your body doesn't mean the same on the fish.

Tricaine Methanesulfonate (TMS). This method is probably the most quoted by people with much experience in euthanizing fish humanely (i.e. for university experiments, etc.). TMS is also known as MS222 and commercially is known as Finquel. According to fish biologist Meyers' blog, simply by doubling the regular dose that you would use to anesthetize the fish will euthanize it. This substance is FDA approved for anesthetizing and euthanizing fish; it is the only product that is FDA approved to anesthetize fish. This is the product.

Ez,

I've read stuff like that before and it has come up in other discussions on NR similar to this. No offense or anything but that article is not very convincing if you ask me. The problem is it equates human freezing and human pain to fish freezing and fish pain which may or may not be the same. This gets into a rather controversial discussion as to whether or not fish feel pain which I would prefer not to get into.

I'm not a huge fan of freezing fish. I prefer just to let them die a natural death in the tank and then remove them after they have passed. In some situations though some may find it more humane to relieve their fish of its suffering and in that case, given the more negative alternatives such as flushing, garbage disposal, whatever, freezing is more humane. Of course I think overdosing an anesthetic would be better but not everyone has access to anesthetics and not everyone is going to be willing to whip out the $25 bucks for fenol.

It's a tough judgment call, but I think people should just do what they think is best and try to do it in the most humane and respectful way possible.

I use to be a manager at a petstore and we used finquil. I works and I can tell you from first hand experience they do not seem to suffer. I personally think this is the best way to go.

RED

Archived