Pod Your Reef

humane way to kill fish

sharky

6-iron

unless it's a big fish, then you can step up to a wood.

I agree with Perpetual. A food processor might work too. Something quick and painless so the PETA people don't get their panties in a bunch.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i use to live in a very old house that have houndreds of rat. every time we catch one we put it in a bag, and swing it smash into the cemant ground. instant kill.

i use to live in a very old house that have houndreds of rat. every time we catch one we put it in a bag, and swing it smash into the cemant ground. instant kill.

:lol:

I prefer impalement, while not the quickest way, at least you get to enjoy the fish a little longer......

hah

...yea some of those scientific explanations just dont hold much water to me, especially the very select few that say freezing is painful for fish, because for every one of those articles there are 100 scientific ones that say the opposite and have proof too....so what to believe.

edit: and perhaps the fish go to a much better place and are all looking at us laughing....gotta have alittle humor EZ, otherwise death sucks a whole lot more.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the lively discussion and all your replies. Sounds like the Finquel EZ mentions is the best option.

More effort up front to avoid disease outbreaks will be helpful too. I've gotten a small quarantine ready for the next time I add to the tank. I'm hoping this will help me avoid the issue entirely, but it's good to know about the Finquel. Thanks again.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the lively discussion and all your replies. Sounds like the Finquel EZ mentions is the best option.

More effort up front to avoid disease outbreaks will be helpful too. I've gotten a small quarantine ready for the next time I add to the tank. I'm hoping this will help me avoid the issue entirely, but it's good to know about the Finquel. Thanks again.

What is a good size QT tank to have?

er1c_the_reefer

you can also debate whether finquil is the best way to do it...

just because something is chemical doesn't mean its the best. like the sodium thiopental/pancuronium bromide/potassium chloride combo in lethal injection, which is supposedly painless if used incorrectly can cause excruciating pain... you've all heard the debates.

i guess the problem is how are you going to ask the person, let alone the fish, whether or not it was a painful death?

The Propagator

This is the sickest thread to date on NR.com.

The original question was what is the most "HUMANE" way to kill a fish.

Not:

" gimme' a recepie for boiling them, or show me how to smack one off the green with a 9 iron."

There is much more involved here then how to kill a fish.

This is/was some ones pet.

Fealings are involved for said pet.

Emotions and genuine concern are involved with said pet.

Other wise they wouldnt have even asked the question.

I know you wantted to know what way would be best to quickly and painlessly end the little guys suffering, but there is not short answer or right answer.

In my opinion he/she would be happier meeting his/her maker in the tank he/she called home in a safe corner or behind the rock of thier choosing.

Then you can remove them after they have gone naturaly.

Just my two cents.

I know I know !!

" your getting emotional in your old age Duane!"

LOL!!!

er1c_the_reefer

to be honest, i didn't care about the dozens of fish that have come and gone from my tank... what i do care about was the $$$ of the fish that have come and gone from my tank.

Well for me, I never did anything myself. I would let the other fish do the business for me.

I had tetras, I didn't like them so I bought piranhas. Now every time I try to get rid of piranhas... they just keep eating what I put in the tank :), so they stuck around for 2 years before I added a giant pike (jk).

Get a fish that will eat the other fish!

im a friend of mammals, so i think this be crossing the line. if you tried to get RID of the animals, or help them and this was the best method -fine. but i think there was not enough effort put forth to get rid of the animals in a humane way. i mean, how did YOU catch it if there was no trap used? lol.... chased it and caught it by the tail? if you used a live trap at least rhe animals could be euthnized in used in science labs to teach children.

im glad that u agree with my swift-kill methodology though.

just because something is chemical doesn't mean its the best.

hundreds of musicans cant be wrong....

jk

Last night my peppermint shrimp molted. Unfortunately, the reapers (aka nassarius snails) were out and about and swarmed all over the shrimp. It ended up have three legs mutilated, and two others ripped in half.

The shrimp was so tired it could barely flee anymore. It would have probably survived had I a quarentine tank....But I don't.

Since I couldn't stay up all night fending off the snails, I had to place the shrimp in a bag, and quickly introduce my foot to the bag...

The actual distance between the top of the shrimp to the top of the floor is about two centimeters. Figure if my foot is traveling at a speed of roughly 700 feet per second I should have been able to kill the shrimp while it only endured 1/100 of a second...

Archived