Coral Vue Hydros

2.5 gallon - 4th months old and I think it is complete! (for a week at least)

LiQuiD

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kalanianaole

I did a search in your post and another on the Wal-Mart website for the LEDs. Were they in the lighting section? And what "set" did they come with?

wetworx101: The first page shows the red gracillaria behind and a little lower then the Halimeda. The picture above it states the Halimeda without the other algae that is in the next pic below it.

From day one almost one year ago, that Chromis has been in the tank and is still less then one inch and very happy. As also stated previously, a 3/4" fish in a 2.5 is like 1 and a half in a 5 or 3 small fish in a 10 gallon if you follow one of the stupid inch per gallon rules or other dumb rule of thumb. Hey, just like they said on other boards that you can't keep nano's, especially a 2.5 gallon. I also made a long statement about that a few pages back.

Kalanianole: They are the "Hi-Lite" Underwater Aquarium Lighting System by Miracle Beam. I think it was like $20. I hope that helps.

i have a question for you, liquid, if you don't mind. how difficult would it be to move a tank like this? i am looking for a tank project that would be somewhat portable (moveable probably 6 times a year). is that reasonable to hope for out of a tank like this or would that mess things up too much? if you could e-mail me your response, i would really appreciate it. thanks a lot. mattbryant2@hotmail.com

Great tank! Really looks great!

I was wondering if you could tell me what a bi-valve is and what are the scientific names of the dendro's and the chili

Thanks and again great tank...an inspiration to us all

mattbryant2: The 2.5 is VERY mobile.

The New 105: Bi-valve refers to a clam/oyster/mussel a crustation with 2 valves. The dendro is short for Dendronepthea and a Chili/Cactus/Strawberry comes from the Alcyonium sp.

Complete cost as of now is around $200 give or take.

Work, what work? This is the easiest for me as well. I originally thought that the maintenance on a volume of about 1 gallon of water would have been insane to keep up with, has become very little work. Water changes take like 30 seconds when doing the larger more time consuming tank changes. I don't dose more then 5 drops of anything so that is quick also. Water parameters are always good (gave up checking a while back). The only thing I monitor is temp.

liquid:

i'm planning on starting a 2.5 myself. a few questions:

1) would a flourescent pc 50/50 10 watt bulb be enough light?

2) would i need a powerhead if i have a filter?

3) what corals would you recommend to beginners?

4) what inverts could i support in a tank this size?

i'm not going to try fish. i was considering buying the all glass minibow 2.5 setup, and buying the compact light all glass offers for that setup.

any help would be appreciated! thanks.

Hello There!

My Name Is Nash, It Was So Beautiful To Got A look At Your Nano Reef And It Make Me To Have It, Anyway My Grandpa Bought For Me This 20 Gallon To Start A New Hobbies, I Just Wanted To Know What Kind Of Salt And Is There Conditioner Are Added. Please Email Me At i_Nash74@hotmail.com.

Thank You

Nash

Singapore

Matt: 1) for very low light corals (shrooms and such)

2) probably not

3) For the lighting you are going to use, I would stick to shrooms and Ricordea.

4) Most you could support, amount and/or size are big factors however.

Nash: Instant Ocean brand salt. Conditioners?

LiQuiD:

Where did you get the 50/50 lights for the BookWorm lights? I found them today at Lowes and I was thinking about using them in a 2.5 gallon as well. Any help would be usefull.

Thank you,

Kevin

man your a genious.liquid.where can you get those old lights that you had.i just got my girlfriend a 3 gallon nano.its cycled and ready to roll. but im really stressin over this lighting thing for such a small tank.

Quantumfusion: As mentioned, I got the 50/50's from hellolights. If you want just actinic or just 10,000k, I believe PSL makes them.

Integracer: Just the 2.5. Actually only around 1 gallon of actual LiQuiD in the tank after the rock and stuff.

LIVEROCKER: The bookworms are hard to find but the Bayco yellow work lights (same thing) can sometimes be found at Home Depot or Lowes or other hardware stores.

• 2 weeks later...

dear LiQuid, as a new site person, I just saw your photos.

my beginner question, when I go into a lfs, they have 10-15 gal tanks with 1/8 of the life that is in your 2.5, and they say that they have about the limit for bioload in those tanks. I don't see anything in your pict but just the 2.5 gal. with no auxiliary tanks. How can you have so much going on in there? you don't have that much lr and ls. massive water changes? am I missing something basic??

thanks if you're still there.

david, what bio load are you talking about? the only thing that really adds to the bio load is the fish. the corals really dont and snails/hermits do not add much at all. a tank at an lfs with 1/8 the life would be very very boring to look at. i dont know if there is something im missing but i dont see anything wrog with this setup.

That's precisely why LiQuiD doesn't have a ton of critters in there and he'll say the same thing. Most people look at his 2.5 and either love the way it looks so large and full with so much coral in there aquascaped so well and/or can't figure out how that's possible like david suggests.

There's a lot of coral in there but not a lot of fish, etc so bio-load is not an issue.

*shrug*

Archived