ReefCleaners.org

2.5 gallon - 4th months old and I think it is complete! (for a week at least)

LiQuiD

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allow me to step in and give my thoughts.

First of all, your tank made me want to read through the whole post. I am absolutely stunned, and true pico reefing (your tank is a top contender) contains an aquscaping style all its own. Many Nano reef and Pico reef stockers get the first medium leather or shroom group or ricordea they can find and place it in the system. Although the chemistry and lighting determine the growth rate and overall health, the ratios of size-of-specimen vs. size-of-aquarium are out of whack and it just looks like a large coral in a small tank. You have made this tank look like a scaled-down 125 in using the correct size ratios throughout the aquascape, that caught my eye.

Really thinking on the pico level means shopping patiently for the tiniest of frags, and carefully gluing them into place and repositioning them as needed during growth. It is my theory after working with these tanks that corals become chemically and physically sensitized to each other and emit less and less nematocysts and slime exudates, allowing us to keep the LPS and SPS easily in the same tank with softs. obviously there are some corals who can never touch, but the ones that have grown to touch in my setups I would have never expected 2 years ago. On that note, careful observation can pack a 2.5 to the hilt with corals.

it is also my opinon that 2.5 is the smallest one can go and still house any species of fish, and for lack of better emotion I say its okay as long as the NH3 and N02 are zero. its hard not to cast our emotions on these fish and see them in "prison", but the science part of me still says they only know about their needs being met. Still, I removed my fish from my pico (a cherry head goby) because of guilt, not because of nitrite or ammonia. if they are fed correctly, and are not being burned by ammonia in the water keeping them in a pico can be justified.

Possibly the disclaimer in this setup is hidden within the specs: most people looking at this level of stocking would never attempt a SW aquarium anywhere near this size, so fish inclusion is out of the question necessarily. Tetra is marketing larger, easier to keep setups to uninformed people yet this is a reef no one would even attempt 5 years ago. Just me ranting, Ill go back into my hole now :)

Chris I think this Tank of the Month thread is a great asset to your board, Im about to link it to a new group of internet reefers I found the other day, should get some more hitz.

Great Job Liquid.

Brandon M.

Great reef Liquid.

It looks absolutely stunning. My question is where did you get the bulbs for the bookworms?

Herby

Would love to see some updated pics.

brandon429: Thanks a lot man.

Herby: The bulbs I got at Hellolights.com. Updates soon, My bulbs are slip'n and I swapped out a bulb for a 6500k bulb until I get some new 50/50's (actually the MH I should get going). Either way, I will post an update as soon as my lights are back to where they should be.

Hi Liquid,

First you have a great tank, Second where in NJ are you? I am in Northern NJ Hudson County area, I would love to build me a nano like that for my office and all the help would be appreciated, I would like to build a 5 gallon tank, maybe you can build me the stand and canopy for it in exchange for some CASH :) ..let me know or e-mail me at Ramon918@Optonline.net

I was thinking of starting a freshwater tank, but the information on this website, incredible forum, and your amazing tank liquid have converted me to the ever scary, but increasingly tempting saltwater tank. I don't think I'll start with a 2.5 but a 10g maybe were i'll begin. Just had to tell you how wonderful your tank is. As far as the concerns with newbie cramming tanks full of fish, anyone taking the time ro read a 10 page thread is also taking the time to do a little more reading. I personally know next to nothing about sw tanks, but I don't plan on doing anything until I know all I can.

Liquid, any suggestions for books to read about the basics? Anyway great tank and you have recruited another one! Hi to everyone else too :P

RANE2001: I'm in upper Passaic/Bergen County. Time is not plentifull for me this time of year. Maybe by fall. I'll let you know.

alexmsw: Welcome aboard. As far as books go I would say the internet would be the best source for information due to many DIFFERENT opinions, a combined knowledge base is always better then just one persons' expeiriences and or opnions.

Natural Sea Water = polution.....

Can't get pure water close to shore.... best to get good consistent sea salt like Tropic Marin and make your own or buy it pre-made at the LFS

lets see..... 1 airline ticket = 198 bucks....

for that here I could get...... WAY MORE WATER than I could carry so I will stick to that :)

But I do like San Diego good mountain biking

Well I posted this in other sections and figured I would throw some shots up here. I have now upgraded to a 70 watt HQI Metal Halide lighting system. $29 did it for me so I couldn't resist. Regent pendant at HD for $9, ballast for $17, $3 for a power cable, and $0 for a 70 watt HQI Ushio 10,000k bulb (I am forever indebted to Crakeur and he is now, has always been and will continue to be the king of all things reefer, until the day he dies).

This thing was cheap, works great and took about a half hour total to set it up. I would recomend this to anyone (almost anyone that is).

Some corals are just loving it in this picture on the first day while others are going to need some aclimation time before they fully open again. More pics will come when all is happy.

attachment.php?s=&postid=134389

attachment.php?s=&postid=134390

Every time I think: "Liquid's finally reached the limit" of what 2.5 gallons can do, he thinks of something new, and it just gets better and better! Truly amazing, and excellent work.

So, I am assuming that you got the Regent pendant, ballast, and cable all from HD? If you didn't have the cabinet under which to mount it, how would you have set up the lighting? Is there such a thing as a free-standing holder for a pendant?

Zane: Got the Regent & power cable at HP. Got the ballast from Graywolf57 (one of the dozen he had). As far as mounting the pendant goes, they have a side-mount model that you could screw into a stud on the wall and add a screw-on addition if extra length is needed. Actually the one I have can turn 45 degrees for side mounting but would need an extention to the length (to answer your question of how I would have done it). I don't know of free standing for these, but I am sure you can make one.

Gerard the fish: A little more then normal but still not much, about a half of a cup a day.

HAHAHAH ! I love it....

Breaking ALL THE RULES of those OMG ! U kan't keep a Small REEF tank With Halides ITS OVERKILL !! mindsets......

F-um ! we of NANO are far more l33t caliber than those 50 gallon + reefers will ever be !

ps: looks good Liquid.

Hey Liquid, really nice tank!!

I am starting on 5.5 gallon tank and I just wanted to ask you one thing. I also live in Bergen county area. What town do you live in? Also which LFS do you go to? I am struggling find a decent LFS around me. Thanks

Kalanianaole

What in there even asks for 70 watts? I'm not ragging on it, I'm just curious.

Can you post some pics with the moonlights on? That's the first green moonlight I've seen. I assume you run them togather?

What and how much are you feeding that gorgonian? I had a comprable sized red finger in my 6 gallon and it lasted just a few months. I think I underfed the poor slobby.

Interesting tank, looks good.

oogie: I grew up in Wayne and have moved around quite a bit. I am currently living in Haskell/Wanaque (a few miles west of Wayne). As far as an LFS would go, go to Absolutely Fish on Rt. 46 (end of Rt. 3) in Clifton. http://www.absolutelyfish.com they have a very nice setup, slightly pricey but quality life.

Kalanianaole: Nothing demands it but as soon as I get the high temp. problems taken care of, a few Maximas will re-enter as well as converting slowly to mostly SPS.

I have tried to take pics of the moonlights but they just don't work. It does look really awsome after the main light goes out. The green and blue LED's came with the Walmart light set. I plan on purchasing another blue LED to replace the green for consistency although the green does look kind of cool

I add 5 drops of phyto a day (gave up on the so called better brands and use only Kent's phytoplex now) to the tank which may answer the gorgonian question.

Originally posted by LiQuiD

oogie:  I grew up in Wayne and have moved around quite a bit.  I am currently living in Haskell/Wanaque (a few miles west of Wayne).  As far as an LFS would go, go to Absolutely Fish on Rt. 46 (end of Rt. 3) in Clifton. http://www.absolutelyfish.com they have a very nice setup, slightly pricey but quality life.

Wow, Wayne huh?

I used go to church in that town. Anyways, I currently teach Cello and conduct orchestra at County College of Morris so I pass your town often!!! Anyways, thanks for that LFS. I will be sure to check it out! Is that where you get most of your stuff? How is their live rock? I need to buy some but would hate to mail order it. Anyways, once again, your tank is my motivation and envy, and I will try everything to be even remotly close to your tank.

Thanks

Archived