ReefCleaners.org

Fish's new tank

ninjafish

GrandeGixxer

I have heard Salty Critter has really nice rock as well. They actually go through it at the airport and pick the rocks for you that will work instead of sending you the same box that the exporter sent them.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you heard anything back from Aquatic Concepts yet?

No. I sent them another email - telling them to take my picture off of their site and I have still not gotten a response from them...

stallen and GrandeGixxer,

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I had assumed that buying rock online and paying the shipping cost would be a lot more than just getting it from the LFS...

maybe it isn't that bad though...

Cheers,

- Chad

I'm sure it would be more expensive because of the shipping. However it's probably worth it unlees your LFS has some LR that you are really happy with. My LFS sells it at a higher cost per lbs. than the online vendors, but the shipping probably more than compensates for that. When I got my LR I didn't really know what to look for and I was in a hurry because I'm a newb. I wish I would have ordered online now.

Now since I've got the saltwater fever I can't wait till the day comes that I can get a tank like the one you are setting up. I've already been day dreaming about it. Thinking, "hmmm, maybe I'll get about half of my LR from tampabaysaltwater.com and the other half a mixture of Marshall Island and Kaelini from premiumaquatics.com." Yeah, that's about three years from now!

GrandeGixxer

From 1 thing I have heard from only 2 people is to stay away from anything aquacultured from the TB area. A friend of mine said in 1- 40 lb box he picked off over 100 nuisance critters. This is way more than from some of the other reefs. This is only 2 sources though. I will be getting my rock from Salty Critter when I get my tank set up. They also ship via airline freight which is much cheaper than FedEx or UPS. You just have to take a little trip to the airport.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip guys!

Well, I know that this thread has already taken forever and hasn't really gone anywhere yet. I've had the diversion of dealing with the LFS that stole a picture of my old tank, and the hassle of having to return this tank because of some problems with it. I got a refund from the shop I ordered it through (great guys to deal with!) and went to InterAmerican who are the guys that built my last three tanks. They are going to build this tank for me and also a custom sump - for less money than what the first place charged for the single tank B) .

I am expecting there will be some delay - but I will let you know as soon as it gets done. Right now estimating 4 weeks - I wonder what kind of drama is going to happen in the meantime... :P

- Chad

Bummer! I've been checking this thread hoping to see some progress <_<

Oh well, at least now you know it will be perfect!

So what happened to the other sump/ why did you decide to go with a different one?

Hey Stallen,

My other sump was a little on the small side... only 17gals and I still needed to leave room for water to drain when I shut off my pump. Plus I needed to cut a hole for a bulkhead, not a big deal but it usually takes me about 20mins to do it and this saves me the time.

The new sump is shaped to use as much room as possible in the stand and is about 24gals. Not a lot more but it does give me a little more room... especially because I will be shooting a little over 700gph through the sump.

- Chad

Well, here is my latest purchase:

lights1.jpg

The bulbs I chose are:

UVL Super Actinic and Geissman Actinic + on the outsides which will function as my dawn/dusk

After a few hours the center bulbs will turn on - Geissman Midday 6000k and Geissman Aquablue +

lights2.jpg

Up until now, I was feeling pretty patient - but now I want that tank to be ready! B)

- Chad

Yay. I have be a big fan of your work i cant what to see the tank finished. Did you sell Ike and are you going to get a new mantis or get Ike back :D .

Mac

Thanks guys! It is a 24" 4-bulb Tek unit and I am extremely hapy with the bulb color right now (need to shine it through some water to be sure though)

Mac, I was a week away from getting Ike back from the person I sold him to when I was notified that Ike died - that sucks. But I might use the opportunity of having a larger tank to get a nice peacock this time around....

I got the hanging kit along with the light and have set it up:

lights7.jpg

The actinic causes all kinds of trouble for my cameras white balance so I haven't gotten pictures that look exactly like it does in person yet:

Actinics:

lights3.jpg

All the bulbs on:

lights6.jpg

- Chad

When I was testing out the lights, I noticed that my kids' soccer pylon was glowing over in the corner. I took a couple shots to try and convey the actinic fluoresing and the color of the bulbs:

lights4.jpg

lights5.jpg

- Chad

NOO not Ike.But what are you going to name the new mantisand i can't what see what your going to do with the tank but what ever you do i am 100% shure it will be sweet.

_Mac B)

Mac,

It's a little crazy that you are the one asking what my next mantis will be named... because I am planning on naming him "Mac". :o:lol:

I got the name "Ike" from one of the two big german shepards that my grandpa had when I was a little kid - the other dog was named Mac... I'm pretty sure he named them after Eisenhower and MacArthur.

- Chad

Electrical work is done!

Today I put a GFI plug on the ceiling for my lights and a plug on the wall for the tank. The aquarium will be on its own breaker.

- Chad

Thanks Vic, I am really happy with how it looks!

Also, I have had my username changed to the same handle I use on other boards. Just to make it easier to search...

- Chad

Hey bro. B)

I still have a week to go if their original estimate was correct... but I would not be surprised if there will be a delay. Now is about the time when I should start calling to remind them though.

- Chad

Chad, I think it is your fault that they have so much business now. Maybe you could tell them and they could bump you to the front of the line.

Archived