Cultivated Reef

Fish's new tank

ninjafish

Dr D,

That is some good DIY work. I am actually going to have an overflow cut for the box. I have never used one of the syphon types and didn't want to chance it.

Update:

I figured out some more features and have put together a couple to-scale pictures of what the system should end up like:

completed3.jpg

completed1.jpg

completed2.jpg

- Chad

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 7

That looks excellent! Are you going to have the tank visible from both sides and mount the plumbing end towards the wall? That is a really nice setup you have there. You will need to get some pretty powerful return pumps with plumbing of that diameter, I have to upgrade for mine. I like your plans for overflow too! I am always worried that my U-tube is going to lose siphon and I'll wake up to a very wet floor, empty refugium, and burnt out pump.....

Thanks, I'm pleased with how well Google Sketchup works. Yes the plan is to have the tank visible from three sides. I drew the plans with 1" diameter plumbing. The pumps have 3/4" fittings, but the guy at the LFS told me that you should run your plumbing one size larger because there is less friction. I put it in the RC headloss calculator and sure enough, I get higher output with 1" pipe. Each of my pumps will be putting out around 730gph.

- Chad

Need some Input:

The tank is 31" long and 18" wide. What would be a nicer shape? 18" or 17" tall?

Thanks.

I'd say 18". It would look nice to have an exact square 18H x 18W.

Your plans look awesome!

BTW, since you always get bored and move on to something else... I've got dibs on this tank!

You've kept Nautilus? Wow, that is very impressive :oB) . You don't happen to still have photos of that tank do you?

- Chad

Chad,

I have a few older pictures with the tank, but I have'em all on zip disks, and my new Dell doesn’t have a zip drive :P . I have tens of zip disks full with pictures -family and hobby- and I don’t know how am I going to transfer them to my new hard drive, and onto a CD. I have a mobile zip drive (my friend gave me one), but I still need the software. However, the tank is still functioning and at present is being transformed into a reef display, so I can take pictures with it, when I’ll go to service it. Also, I know that at least one employee took some pictures with the Nautilus, so I may ask him for some.

Your project looks very promising.

Chad, I haven't read the whole thread, but I am assuming that the hole in the center of the back is for a 3rd return? Is it closed loop, or coming from the sump? If it is coming from the sump, why have an inlet that you will have to check valve? If it is closed loop, it should work out great then and good idea!

Chad, do you remember the glass thickness of the 7.5 gl. cube? I found an ADA tank exactly the same dimensions as yours: 30 X 30 X 30 cm, made from 4mm glass for $57 + about $20 shipping - What do you think, is it thick enough to drill its bottom? I’ve never drilled glass before. Thank you.

simbio

Hey bud,

I do not remember offhand what the thickness was on the bottom of my cube but 4mm sounds too thin. That is an amazing price though. I almost wonder if it would be worth buying the tank, taking the bottom pane of glass off and having the glass shop cut you a thicker square with the bulkhead holes cut in it to just slap on. I will see if I can find out what thickness mine was. (The sides may have been 4mm, but the glass on the bottom was thicker than the sides).

- Chad

Edit: I just reread the post and noticed it was an ADA tank. They are amazing tanks - however, I had heard before that they cannot be drilled. Look into it and see if it is true, if so, replacing the bottom pane would still work.

Hey Chad,

I’ve been told the same thing, that ADA tanks should not be drilled. I don’t really understand why, but I don’t intend to find out the hard way either. Detaching the original bottom, and glue a thicker one back on its an interesting idea, but honestly, I would rather get one already made to my specifics, from Canada. Do you know a company or have a phone number that I can call to? You can send me a pm, since I don’t wish to derail your aquarium project thread with my own project. Thanks a lot for your suggestions. We’ll keep in touch.

No problem. Shoot me a PM with where you are located - there is nothing special about Canadian tanks, so unless you live here it would be easier to have a tank built locally. I had a shop called InterAmerican build my last two cubes and am trying out a new tank builder for my current project - just cause I;ve heard good things about their customer service.

- Chad

I just ordered my T5 lighting and am still waiting to hear back from the glass shop saying my tank is built....

While I'm waiting, I should string some electrical lines in the basement...

I also need to cut a bulkhead in my sump tank.

- Chad

I just picked up the tank yesterday and here's a photo:

061212046.jpg

I turned out to be 30"x18"x17" (lwh) and the builder did a pretty good job on it. It initially came with euro bracing but that came off right away - I just like the plain top look more The . Inside measurements and my predicted water level make this tank about 35gals; with the expected output of my two pumps, I am figuring that I will have 40x's turnover :P. There is even room to add more flow if needed (not needed) because my bulkheads are 1.5" but my current pumps have only 3/4" fittings :o .

- Chad

Thanks Dr!

The tank builder forgot to add the sheet of black acrylic to the back wall like I ordered. He is cutting it for me now and I will put it on myself. I figure that it should look a lot better with the overflow not visible. The silicone job in the corners is a little sloppy though so I am considering using a razor blade to trim it back a bit. Finally, I have the overflow eggcrate off and am going to black that out as well.

- Chad

Thanks Adam.

I didn't like how much the closed loop intake strainer protruded into the tank, so I cut it down a bit.

Here is a pic of the modified one next to stock:

061213003.jpg

Here you can see that it takes up a lot less room:

strainer.jpg

Normally, I wouldn't recommend reducing the size of the strainer because that only increases the likelihood of a blockage. In this case however, I am not concerned because the bulkhead/strainer size is 1.5", but the pump is only 0.75" in/out. This modified stainer probably still has more surface area than a stock 3/4" strainer. Also, I am not keeping an anemone or anything in the tank that would be capable of single handedly causing a blockage if it came lose.

- Chad

Lookin good Chad. I do see what you are talking about with the silicone job they did. I am going to be having Inter-American do a tank for me around the begining of the year. From the tanks I have seen from them, they are top notch.

You know that seems to be my evaluation so far too. Inter-American can be a bit of a hassle as far as not meeting deadlines if they are really busy, but I can honestly say that the quality of their work is second to none.

I have started a poll, just to get other peoples' opinions. I would appreciate anyone that could stop by and tell me what they think:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=105562&st=

- Chad

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! I actually took the tank back to the builder and they agreed to rebuild the tank for me. The new one should be in any day now... I will let you know when it arrives.

Happy New Year,

- Chad

Archived