ReefCleaners.org

Fish's new tank

ninjafish

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was my main complaint with the tank but when I went to set it up, I found that they had made the overflow wider than I had told them to and my plumbing would not have fit. Also, the overflow box stuck up above the top of the tank because the builder had first made it eurobraced then removed the bracing because I had asked to have it made without....

- Chad

Good move! You are very meticulous with your work. You shouldn't have to settle. That silicone job was a little sloppy. You seem to be a bit of a perfectionist (like myself). That would have eaten at you every time you looked at it.

I can't wait to see the new tank... especially after it's set up with some LR in it!! Have you decided what kind of LR you are getting?

Thanks Stallen,

As for LR, my options are a little bit limited just because I live here in Canada. I am going to look around and see if a local reefer has any LR for sale - I will use that for the majority of my needs, and then buy some nice stuff for looks/diversity.

- Chad

A friend just brought it to my attention that an online company is using a photo of my 12" cube to advertize on their website:

http://ac-nc.com/Saltwater_Aquarium_Products.htm

The funny thing about it, is that is probably the worst picture I took of that tank - it was back when I first set it up and the corals had not yet filled in, and I had not moved it to the hole in the top of the desk so it is leaning against the wall, half off the desk. The moral of the story: Don't trust what you see on the internet, anyone can copy and paste and make themselves look like a legitamate business.

Here is the email I sent them:

Hello,

It has been brought to my attention that you are using a photo of an aquarium, that I "Designed : Built : Maintained" to advertise on your site. The fact that you are using it for a commercial venture without getting permission or giving proper recognition, bothers me a great deal. This is the photo in question:

http://ac-nc.com/images/Products_1.jpg

I took that picture while the tank was temporarily against a wall and it doesn't even look as good as the tank did when it was set up properly - I seriously doubt that any benefit derived from the false advertising will outweigh the negative attention it will get in my different threads online.

True to my word,

- Chad

That is very crappy of them and also most likely illegal. Your letter doesn't seem to ask explicitly that they remove the photo. I'd suggest you do that. Let us know what they say. If they are jerks about it, I'm sure a bunch of us including myself would be glad to send them a sternly-worded email. Best if we give them a chance to remedy on their own though.

C

glad to see your back dude. also glad to hear ike will be in your new tank. is the tank gonna be just a big mix of corals or mainly one group?

Hey you guys! Always nice to see familiar faces!

Carinya,

You know, I really don't know what the rules are when it comes to images or intilectual property posted on the internet. I shared the tank photos and descriptions freely in my different threads, some people have gone on to build similar systems, others have set the photos as computer desktops, I've even found some of my pictures and videos linked on different foreign language sites. I was always really flattered by that and never had a problem. This is different though because this company seems to be suggesting that this tank is their work and that they could build a similar system for their customers... which they may not even be capeable of. I just don't know if I can demand that they remove it... did I stop being the owner of it when I posted it to the web? I am just bothered at how misleading it seems.

ram man,

Thanks for the welcome back! Actually I got bad news about Ike just before I was due to pick him up... yup, he passed away. The owner said that his molts were getting longer and longer and thought that he might have just been old. It's too bad because now I really regret getting rid of him... I should have just kept him right to the end. Oh well. The plan so far is to do zoos and rics and interesting LPS. Try and grow and floor of shrooms and gsp. I know it is just a matter of time before I start to dabble in sps again, but I am really going to try and stick to soft corals...

- Chad

i just feel bad, she stoped eating for the las tcouple of days and was grumpy and wouldnt come out of her hiding hole. found a new one though. are you gonna get another mantis for this tank?

You know what, it would be a lot easier to frag and work on the tank if there wasn't a mantis in it... but I'm hooked. They are such a rewarding animal that I will definitely pick another one up when I come across one.

Fish,

This is not the first thing that has come up about aquatic concepts. If you look in their portfolio section on their website you will see that many of the tanks are photoshopped a great deal (adding in fish, adding in backgrounds, corals, etc.) Not to mention the last two times I went in there, they were very rude.

I live about 10 minutes from their store, and if this keeps up, I will personally go and talk with the owners and try to set the record straight.

Fish,

I've always enjoyed following your tank threads and builds. I hate to see anyone taking credit for something that you have worked hard on building.

Chad,

Thats you're photograph and you own the copywrite. They ARE breaking the law by using it, end of story. You are quite within your rights to ask them to remove it.

Thanks guys. Hey Jeremy!

I suspect that they haven't gotten back to me because of the holiday...??

I will send them another email demanding that they remove it.

- Chad

Thanks guys. Hey Jeremy!

I suspect that they haven't gotten back to me because of the holiday...??

I will send them another email demanding that they remove it.

- Chad

Yeah I would think they are on holiday today. I've not checked my @bp.com email for over a week :D

It's your tank design, your picture, yours period. Copyright law dictates that you have ownership of your photographs, whether they are in your house or on the internet. As long as the picture is yours, and it's content is yours as well, there's no question. You decide how it's used. If you're flattered by someone using it in a certain setting, you can go ahead and let them use it. That's your choice. If you don't like the way it's being used, you have the right to demand it be removed. Copyright infringement and plagiarism is rampant on the internet. You can google copyright law if you want to know more, there's lot's of info out there.

It's your tank design, your picture, yours period. Copyright law dictates that you have ownership of your photographs, whether they are in your house or on the internet. As long as the picture is yours, and it's content is yours as well, there's no question. You decide how it's used. If you're flattered by someone using it in a certain setting, you can go ahead and let them use it. That's your choice. If you don't like the way it's being used, you have the right to demand it be removed. Copyright infringement and plagiarism is rampant on the internet. You can google copyright law if you want to know more, there's lot's of info out there.

Thanks podBoy!

This experience sure has been an education for me. I just thought what they were doing was dishonest, I didn't realize it was illegal...

- Chad

Another amazing tank. Can't wait to see this one stocked.

I guess you decided against the FW planted tank, then, huh?

Tschuss,

Kent

Hey Chad, you mentioned having to get your LR local since you are in Canada. I was just on the premiumaquatics.com website looking at their LR. They say they "ship to most countries". I have heard from many that they have the best rock available.

Archived