SaltCritters.com

Pics of my new octopus

Fishfreak218

oh forgot to mention.. the octopus didnt ocme out today and he got a name

his name is Kalamari.... Kal for short

the other candidate for a new name was Sushi...

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
drowsyfirefly
oh forgot to mention.. the octopus didnt ocme out today and he got a name

his name is Kalamari.... Kal for short

the other candidate for a new name was Sushi...

Pish, I have a cat named Sushi. He is fat and will eat anything if he sees me eat it. Vegetables, pasta, toast, pizza--I really do mean anything.

Kal is a good name though. There's also Tako, which is what you call octopus nigiri.

By the way: I am so incredibly jealous you have an octopus I can't even speak. I have wanted one for the longest time. My boyfriend promised me that if I don't have one in twenty years and we're still dating he will buy me one. He better deliver. Can't wait to see more about Kal. :D

--Meghan

very cool dude. congrats.

seriously you've accomplished here what many reefers would never attempt in a lifetime.

totally diggin it. peace

thats CHEAP^^

How about Tsu ... short for Tsunami!? Or wait till you get him ID's ... did you find out about the briareus ID?

he has been named.. Kalamari.. Kal for short...and no.. i have not gotten a positive ID yet.. it is hard to ID octopuses.... but im almost positive its Briareus

very cool dude. congrats.

seriously you've accomplished here what many reefers would never attempt in a lifetime.

totally diggin it. peace

well. lol..... i have only had im for 4 or 5 days now.. lol so techincally i havnt really accomplished anything

he has eaten to peices..

it was so cool.. a peice droped off the feeding stick so i went to pick it up and he got excited so he touched me with one of his small tenticles and then he went crazy and started chasing my hand (w/ the krill) around his tank.. it was soo cool! anyway he has retreated back to his cave..

well he is out.. right now!

exploing the tank. im affraid to take pics cause i dont want to scare him... i realized when he is stressted or scared he turns whiteish.. and that his normal colors are red/brown....

also to answer your question reefsrule.. fiberglass screening and duct tape...

wat is it that you want pics of? the octopus?

I've seen the octopus :D I want to see how you did the top of the tank, you know, since you can open it, it can't be all duct tape. What did you do for the top where you open it? Do you have it locked?

theres not much to see.. its a normal AGA plastic top taped down..

the door part is taped down with duct tape

he only wants to ocme out if im not around :rollseyes:

also the duct tape is replaced every few days b/c after opening and closing the door a few times the tap looses its stickiness

• 2 weeks later...

I would LOVE to say that everything is great and fine.. but it is not.. i feel like a failure..

anyway he is believed to be at the end of his life. if he is a she then she should lay eggs soon.. if he is a he.. he will just die..

anyway im going to be ordering some Cuttle eggs.... I am planning on raising 6 of them (i am thinking extra eggs mean release into refugium or they will become food for my fish... or i'll try to sell them to someone b4 they hatch)

Food source will mostly be amphipods and shore shrimp... im not even gonna bother with live mysis.. they eat eachother to fast and are $$$ :bling: you can buy 100 and maybe get 25 out of that... canibalistic bastages.. but i do have Live mysids running throughout my 90g. and my 10g. contest tank

we'll see how this goes... i have been planing this out for a while.... (ok.. only like a week but shhhhh)

its a bummer that the octopus is at the end of his life..

i THINK i can see her laying eggs but i could be totally wrong... ill let you guys know when i find out for sure if they are eggs are not...

word is that baby octo's have very low surviability rates :(

nope, no eggs.. s/he is still alive... but not eatnig live or frozen... water params are perfect

also i heard from fellow TONMO'ers who tried to raise them said it was hard...

all 3 people who tried didnt sucseed...

but im gonna try cuttlefish

Archived