inTank Media Baskets

Pics of my new octopus

Fishfreak218

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds cool. I saw an episode of some show on the BBC (where they help people with rogue or bored pets, series, can't remember the name) and they redid and octopus tank at a public aquarium. They actually gave it some legos to play with. Pretty neat.

How large are you expecting him to get?

a 5" mantle (the "head" part).. and 24" arms... yeah.. he will deffinatly be needing a bigger home

Sounds cool. I saw an episode of some show on the BBC (where they help people with rogue or bored pets, series, can't remember the name) and they redid and octopus tank at a public aquarium. They actually gave it some legos to play with. Pretty neat.

I heard you can teach them to unscrew jars to get food that would be cool!

what is the CUC in the tank? B/c wont they eat snail and crabs?

that sucks that they live only a year, is that their actual lifespan, or is it b/c they dont do very good in home aquariums?

their life span..but im pretty sure the Great Pacific Octo. can live for 2 years...

the CUC is like 4 hermits and a snail

so far. he hasnt eaten any of them from wat i have seen....

and yes u can teach them to do that... but alot of them dont learn..its usually the larger sized octopus that can do that

that is so tight! man, it makes me want one really bad..... though i will admit, i have a soft spot for cuddle fish. Those guys are freakin amazing. Does your octo change colors at all? or is that mostly a trait of some larger species?

he changes from white to tanish to a redish brown very fast... i can watch him go from redish brown to white in a few seconds..

i just fed him a cleaner shrimp.. i wasnt watching when he ate it though

i just realized that octopets is not back in business and that i was reading an old thread b/c someone bumped it back up :angry:

so that prob. means no cuttlefish for me :/

I was in florida and found a really cool cuttlefish in a shallow reef, I looked it up to id it and never found it. I almost brought it home to put in my quaintine. I would have put it in a 10g by itself with some macros, but I decided to let it go! It was clear and had little dots on it that could change from blue to red to green. When I go back I might try to find some they were about 2 in long. I would love to keep a octopus, are their any cephalopods that can go in a 10g?

a dwarf octopus.. but they are secritive and only live like 6 months and they are hard to get

^^^

in hawaii i saw 3 baby squid and i tried to catch them (all i had was my hands) and they all inked at me.. but they were like the size of a quater

I looked at the images of cuttlefish on that website couldnt find the one I found, it was amazing the little dots were like LED,s and they changed color. A 10g with some macros would have been perfect for it. Do you know any sites that I might be able to find a ID from? or a place that lists all the alantic cuttlefish sp.?

DementedLullaby

I thought male octopus lived longer than the 6 months to a year? It's females that have such short lives because of the egg laying process(kills them).

Is this true? Is it only females who die? Or is the lifespan no matter what the sex is the same?

im pretty sure the life span is about the same....

sambo,

if you really want to find out go to www.tonmo.com and describe it to them as best you can.. maybe they can find you an ID...

here is some more pics:

2qchu80.jpg

2h38ldi.jpg

2cpyzwj.jpg

so far today he hasnt come out and the lights have been on for a few hours... im thinking he will come out later in the evening

you could make your lighting period shorter so he will come out more, b/c arent they nocturnal? I think a saw somewhere that you can do a reverse photoperiod for nocturnal animals.

umm... i think he ate.. also.. he slept the whole night...

EDIT**

no... he didnt eat... he chewed up a little bit.. then spit it out

Archived