Top Shelf Aquatics

Pics of my new octopus

Fishfreak218

seacrop sells S. bandensis eggs like the one I posted earlier. I will be volounteering at the local aquarium this summer so remind me when school gets out and I will get specs of their cuttle tank. ;)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im freaking out here...

i am so upset that he isnt eating anything..i might have to order some live fiddler crabs and some shrimp..

maybe a trip to the beach this weekend... idk

also.. i might try those cuttle eggs from seacrop.. as long as this octopus goes ok.. then i wont be getting them though

yeah.. i can try those.. they are cheap.. but they wont sustain.. i think ill be going back to the

"ghost shrimp and mollies most the time w/ a damsel and a fiddler crab inbetween" method.. and try training him to eat frozen.. or maybe he will eat frozen tomorow..

training something to eat frozen takes a long time, i think you can add really small peices of frozen food before you feed him, then add live food, slowing increase the portion of frozen/live over a period of two weeks, then start with 100% frozen with live foods every now and then

This will make him associate frozen foods with live foods, you could also load the mollies and damsels on some super enriched food before you feed him.

What frozen are you feeding? maybe feed small peices of the frozen to the live fish so he will become familiar with the taste.

Good luck

yeah.,. i know^^

after talking to some people on tonmo.com they suggested a few things.. that im goin to try tomorow.

he might not be hungry from last nights meal..

also i found a cheap source of live food..if this octopus goes well.... (depending on when he dies) ill prob. try a cuttlefish..

the cuttlefish egg at seacrop is cool you might be able to raise a few from it , kinda $ though

live aquaria has cuttlefish for $30 every once and a while

do you know any other places to get them, b/c I am interested in them too?

also how are your seahorses(kinda off subject sry!) I cant wait to get my three kudas from seahorse source, do you like the ones you got there? just saw your thread in the members gallery

hope you get it to eat, also how long to cuttlefish live?

yeah.. im affraid to pay so much $$ on some eggs and all the babies might die.....

i would only get them from fellow www.tonmo.com members... so they come everyonce in a while....

my seahorses are doing great.. sorta.. i had one recent death b/c he got sucked into the filter while i was away on vacation.. im going to get 2 more from seahorsesource.com soon.....

otherwise the other 2 are perfectly fine..... you'll love them.... all of his are yellow.. honestly.. from the tank i picked from all of them were at least a shade of yellow.... good luck w/ your seahorses.. IMO if you dony want black seahorses.. DONT go with a black background... all his backgroundes are blue..(from what i recall) and so ill be switching my background from black to blue soon

ok thanks

Now I want sehorses, cuttlefish, and a prop tank!!! and no$$$

I think I am going to get the three SH first for my 55g then maybe think about cuttlefish for x-mas if you get one let me know how it works, b/c I have a 20H with skimmer and HOB that could fit one so if they arent to hard to keep I might give them a try. how much does a really small one cost?

FF, Feed it alot while it's re-generating it's tentecals. That uses up alot of energy that could otherwise be put towards growth/ & immune system, and other such things. Some ideas to get it to eat...

Crayfish

Fresh water fiddler crabs

Ghost shrimp

Try gut loading any of these to stimulate feeding. They LOVE crusteacions, any kind. Especially live ones. These aren't going to sustain it over the long haul, but they are cheap, and will get it to feed.

Demented, Males are usually shorter lived than females, though not by long. As an added bonus to being the shorter lived of the sexes, the females will many times kill or eat/partially eat the male. (Glad I'm not an octopus!)

yes,

thank you RayW

im going to order some fidller crabs from theaquaculturestore.com and iim going to try to go to the beach and catch some stuff....

there main diet should be invertebrates so alot of shrimp and crabs...

about crayfish... are there saltwater ones or is there just those freshwater ones??

thanks guys,

today when i got home from school he was exploring the tank but soon after he went back into his cave... he isnt very secretive.. he has alot of big holes in his cave that he could cover.. but he doesnt.. and he sits with his head somewhat in the open.. im goin to try feeding him today...

1) Go to the beach and grab some sally lightfoots.

2) I don't think he can get freshwater crayfish without paying; unless he wants to brave the canals. -shudder-

2) I don't think he can get freshwater crayfish without paying; unless he wants to brave the canals. -shudder-

By this reply, I'm assuming your in Florida. What's to shudder about the canals? I loved them! I went out at night spotlighting pleco's, plus, there were some really giant oscars there. The green ones that no petshop ever has.

Anyhow, it was just a suggestion for some free food. FW feeders are just a temp fix. If your that close to the beach, get whatever you can at low tide.

Something came to mind though.... When I was in the Seattle area, I went to the sound. At low tide there were tons of little crabs everywhere. But there were also, what the locals called sand shrimp. They had these hollow tubes with handles. The handls had a vent. You would push this tube into the sand, cover the vent, lift, then release the vent. Dig through the sand, and you'd have about 10 of these shrimp every time. Do you have anything like that in your area?

DementedLullaby

Thanx for the answer FishFreak and Ray! :)

Hope you have awhile with him. Seems like a fun little critter.

Good luck!

1) Go to the beach and grab some sally lightfoots.

yeah... im going to do that...but i think i am also going to order some fiddler crabs and some shrimp (thats what TONMO'ers suggest. and im fine with that)

By this reply, I'm assuming your in Florida. What's to shudder about the canals? I loved them! I went out at night spotlighting pleco's, plus, there were some really giant oscars there. The green ones that no petshop ever has.

Anyhow, it was just a suggestion for some free food. FW feeders are just a temp fix. If your that close to the beach, get whatever you can at low tide.

Something came to mind though.... When I was in the Seattle area, I went to the sound. At low tide there were tons of little crabs everywhere. But there were also, what the locals called sand shrimp. They had these hollow tubes with handles. The handls had a vent. You would push this tube into the sand, cover the vent, lift, then release the vent. Dig through the sand, and you'd have about 10 of these shrimp every time. Do you have anything like that in your area?

yeah.. im in florida...also.. i have an easier way of getting crayfish.. there are these traps they sell and they are one way in.. i would put some bait in... and would leave it out there for like 4 days... bring it in.. and it would have at least 2 or 3 crayfish.. but crayfish are lacking b/c they are FW...

un update on my octopus.. he has eaten..or if he hasnt he sure did fool me..

he came up on the back glass today.. i put some krill on a feeding stick and he took it and put it around his mouth.. so he either ate it or its trapped inbetween him and the glass... im not going to try and see b/c he has been sitting out for a good 10 mintues.. just watching me.. he is SOO cool!

lol yes i am pretty young.. but i think there are a few others my age w/ the same amount of tanks.. maybe not quite as big as mine..

also Ray Whisperer had a blue ring

OctopusTank016.jpg

OctopusTank015.jpg

OctopusTank013.jpg

Archived