ReefCleaners.org

Custom 18x18x18 inch cube in England (with pictures)

jemram

Just a few more pictures I took this evening:

Plateclose.jpg

RedBrain.jpg

Half.jpg

Spiny.jpg

And this one was taken from above:

Hammerabove.jpg

AWESOME TANK!!!

What are you using for filtration? I was trying to see if you had a sump in the pictures, but I didn't see one. Are you just circulating the water with no filtration?Also, are the Live rocks around the return tube placed around it (like a volcano)???

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AWESOME TANK!!!

What are you using for filtration? I was trying to see if you had a sump in the pictures, but I didn't see one. Are you just circulating the water with no filtration?Also, are the Live rocks around the return tube placed around it (like a volcano)???

At the moment it's just liverock and 900gph of flow. There is no sump as it's a closed loop. I am adding a fuge to grow cheato in the form of a modified external filter very soon though.

At the moment it's just liverock and 900gph of flow. There is no sump as it's a closed loop. I am adding a fuge to grow cheato in the form of a modified external filter very soon though.

So what would happen if the power went out and the pump stopped pumping???

Also, can a system like this but with a sump be built?

What does that smaller green tube do?

It's a closed loop, nothing would happen :)

There is always water in all the pipework so there is nowhere for it to go... if that makes sense, all the pipes are connected to the tank and no-where else :)

It's a closed loop, nothing would happen :)

There is always water in all the pipework so there is nowhere for it to go... if that makes sense, all the pipes are connected to the tank and no-where else :)

Thanks Mickle...Its amazing...This inspired me to build one...How come not too many people have this type of setup? Are there any disadvantages?

Thanks Mickle...Its amazing...This inspired me to build one...How come not too many people have this type of setup? Are there any disadvantages?

As far as I can work out the only disadvantage is there is no way to run a skimmer. Other things like running a fuge are more tricky than normal, but they can be done as this thread will show in the coming weeks ;)

As far as I can work out the only disadvantage is there is no way to run a skimmer. Other things like running a fuge are more tricky than normal, but they can be done as this thread will show in the coming weeks ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does adding a fuge make it a NON closed loop system? Therefore presenting a risk of flooding if a pump were to fail?

-Can you point me to other places to where I can learn more about this type of system? Does it have a name?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does adding a fuge make it a NON closed loop system? Therefore presenting a risk of flooding if a pump were to fail?

-Can you point me to other places to where I can learn more about this type of system? Does it have a name?

My fuge will consist of a modified Eheim external filter with a light added inside it, so it will remain a closed loop.

The idea for my tank is all thanks to Chad (Fish on here). Here's his thread CLICKY

Here's four pictures in high resolution (each one is 1200 pixels across). They are not too big in terms of download though, the largest is only 350k. Just click the links:

EDIT: Looks like PhotoBucket now resizes images to a max of 800 pixels :angry: I'll see if I can get them uploaded somewhere else.

Hammer Coral

Purple Plate

Red open Brain

Spiny Brain

cool thread, the tank looks great. i was just curious in knowing if the inhabitants like snails, hermits, etc ever fall out of the tank? the reason i ask is cause i always find one of my hermits going up the corner of silicone to the top of my tank. luckily i have a NC so he cant get out. also nice fish choice you have there, to bad about the clowns they were really nice. the same thing happened to me with a couple of my fish. not sure about you but i was frustrated cause there was no sign of anything being wrong. just one day turned on the lights and they were gone. it sucks to lose anything in your tank but at least if you see it floating by or what ever you might know where to begin to find the prob. but when they just vanish you don't know where to begin. good luck with the tank.

ADAM

hey, im kinda new to reefing and this might be a stupid question...but how do you get the cool wavey on top of your tank since i cant see a powerhead...is there something else you use for it...Thanks

I always just called it my 'Office Cube' because this design was first developed on a 2gal pico at work. If you look at other names in reefing it could be called after the place, "Calgary" or the who "Rausch" :) .

My threads here, and on RC (as ninjafish), are a little too large to find the info quickly so I started a thread here:

http://www.aquaden.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph...a36fa5b07f5f96e

Just to summarize things. HTH.

Looking great Jeremy!

- Chad

Looking great Jeremy!

- Chad

Chad, If I ever come to Canada (or you come to England) I owe you a beer :D Thanks again mate.

This morning I've moved the chiller into the cabinet. It rarely kicks in now anyway as I've raised the temp I run the tank at from 25-26'C to 27-28'C after doing some research into the water temps at healthy wild reefs.

It does look a whole lot tidier in there now and MUCH better from outside.

Cabnew.jpg

fulltank.jpg

Chad, If I ever come to Canada (or you come to England) I owe you a beer :D Thanks again mate.

I'd like that Jeremy! It looks looks great with the chiller hidden away. I've never owned one myself, do they put out a lot of heat into the air? Do you have to vent the cabinet at all?

Keep up the awesome work!

- Chad

I'd like that Jeremy! It looks looks great with the chiller hidden away. I've never owned one myself, do they put out a lot of heat into the air? Do you have to vent the cabinet at all?

Keep up the awesome work!

- Chad

The dont but much heat in to the air at all. You can feel a slight warmth if you but your hand right by the vents and thats all.

I've not put any vents in the cabinet and I dont think I will. I've got enough hose running to it that if it does kick in I can just move it out of the cabinet. As I said, now I'm running the tank a little warmer it hardly kicks in at all. I could most likely run without it all together.

mybuickskill6979

hey jem when is the next time your going on an extended vacation? i need to know so i know when to plan for my flight to England hehe. this tank is off the chain man. is this the one your doing the strainer redesign on? well just let me know when your next vavcation is and i'll take care of it for you hehe!!

hey, im kinda new to reefing and this might be a stupid question...but how do you get the cool wavey on top of your tank since i cant see a powerhead...is there something else you use for it...Thanks

via the pump in the cabinet shooting water straight toward the top of the water column.

yo jem i bet you probably have a let anaerobic stuff going on with all that tubbing too huh? hehe!!

So what would happen if the power went out and the pump stopped pumping???

Also, can a system like this but with a sump be built?

What does that smaller green tube do?

yes but you'd have to use a stop valve that costs upwards of 500$ to stop the flow through the outlet when the electricity is cut and use a check valve on the pump.

this tank is off the chain man. is this the one your doing the strainer redesign on?

Thanks. Yes this is the tank I'm going to change the strainer on. I've got it all sorted now. In a week or so I'm going to remove all the corals, liverock, fish and inverts, drain the tank and change the strainer. I'm then going to build the rockwork up with aquarium epoxy so it will be higher in the tank and have more sandbed room (for my now huge plate coral!) and with more room between the rock and the glass.

Nice work, Jeremy. Chad inspired me, as well, to build such a tank. But now, that you took it further with the size and volume, I would wait a little to see how yours evolves. Do you still have that algae issue? Have you checked the nitrates level? What would you do different if you were to do it again? Thanks a lot, and good luck with your aquarium project.

Nice work, Jeremy. Chad inspired me, as well, to build such a tank. But now, that you took it further with the size and volume, I would wait a little to see how yours evolves. Do you still have that algae issue? Have you checked the nitrates level? What would you do different if you were to do it again? Thanks a lot, and good luck with your aquarium project.

My hair algae is best bart gone now. I'm adding a fuge to grow cheato in a week or so, so that will help even more. My nitrates have remained less than 10ppm since my cycle finished.

Archived