ReefCleaners.org

Custom 18x18x18 inch cube in England (with pictures)

jemram

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hos you sixline?? how much did you par for him/her??? also do you feed you scooter blenny frozen food, if so how much do you feed?

He's (or maybe she!) is doing fine, swiming all over the place!. As for feeding at the moment I'm feeding a cube of frozen mysis about 1/4x1/4 once a day because I'm battling hair algae. My scooter blenny happily eats the mysis too.

IME over here they are £10-20 but this can vary alot on the shop and size.

I know where I work there is a single mark up price and so the price really depends on the supplier. :)

when you feed mysis:

1 thaw the cube in a seperate water dish

2 use a net to get all of the mysids out of the water solution

3 just feed the mysis in the net

that will help your nutrients since the cubes of mysis are loaded with phosphates and nitrates etc. hth.

Well it's be a fun weekend! My sulphur leather had not looked happy from day one. I dont think it was happy where it was, maybe a little too much flow, I dont know, but it had never properly opened. So yesterday I cut it away from the small rock it was on and superglued it to one of the rocks that's in a lower flow area. Today it's starting to open up more than it ever has in my tank. There cant be anything wrong with my water as all the others are doing well, infact if it keeps growing at the rate it is, my purple plate coral will be needing a bigger tank!

I've also had a rearrangement of the rock work. I wasn't happy with it the way it was and the top is slightly off centre now which looks more natural. There's also LOADS of room for SPS frags ;)

And lastly I think the hair algae is finaly loosing it's battle :D It's becoming more fragile and breaking up if you brush your fingers over it. I'm still keeping up the water changes every other day.

Lastly here's some picturs I took about 20 minutes ago. I'm open to any constructive criticism or pointers :D

IMG_3333-01.jpg

IMG_3335-01.jpg

IMG_3337-01.jpg

IMG_3342-01.jpg

IMG_3343-01.jpg

IMG_3344-01.jpg

cool aquascaping. does dust and stuff get in the tank, due to it being open top, i would be too worried that things would go in if i did an open top. Although you do get more power from an external light unit

cool aquascaping. does dust and stuff get in the tank, due to it being open top, i would be too worried that things would go in if i did an open top. Although you do get more power from an external light unit

I guess it must do, but it doesnt collect on the surface. I do see the odd very small fly that has tried swiming and failed, and I bet my sixline eats them :D

The sulphur leather has decided it didnt like being superguled to the rock and fell off!

I've now got it on the sand bed and it's opening up nicely, but I would rather it was on the rock, just not sure how to hold it in place?

Maybe some epoxy, although I dont know much about leathers, are they on a base or stem?

More of a stem. The problem is as they open up the bottom of the stem gets bigger so pulls itself off the glue. I cant see that epoxy would hold any tighter. I have thought about using a needle and fishing line and 'sewing' it to a rock.

If it looks happy on the sand place a small rock, pebble size, under it. It will eventualy attachto it. then you can epoxy the little rock anywhere you would like. It takes a week or two for leathers to attach IME.

Good Luck,

Scott

P.S. I really have enjoyed watching your tank come together.

Cable ties to the rescue! (I hope!!!).

I do want it to attach itself to this rock and when it was superglued here it opened up more than it ever has. So I used a 2mm drill bit to drill a couple of holes through the stem for cable ties to tie it to the rock. Hopfully it will attach itself to the rock over the next few weeks and I'll then remove the cable ties.

(Excuse the hair algae, it is starting to wave a white flag!)

coral1.jpg

coral2.jpg

Hi jemram,

Nano looks awesome! I'll be in touch with you as I would like to do the exact same thing but need some contacts for the guys who built the tank etc. Only difference I'll do is add a Tunze nano reef pack system to it.

Thanks for amazing inspiration. Cheers

_Cerven

Well the cable ties didnt work :blush: The leather managed to tear itself from them and then look pretty dead. It's now just on the sand bed to recover.

And I thought leathers were ment to be easy to keep. All of the corals in the tank are doing REALLY well other than the sulphur leather and my finger leather is not often open. They are in medium flow and medium light, so should be happy.

Hi, im a fellow nano reefer from the UK and just wanted to say that your tank looks great :) . I too dont use a protein skimmer but instead use purigen by seachem which seems to work pretty well if your ever having too much or a problem with algae. Im amazed at how well your tank works and looks for being such a simple design!

Awesome and beautiful tank. I can't get over the amazing 4-sided view!

Would you mind if I did a few sketches from your clownfish photograph? It's truly inspiring and I'd love to do an interpretation of my own. :)

Archived