Cultivated Reef

Custom 18x18x18 inch cube in England (with pictures)

jemram

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
how did you take the pics when the tank was at my house. lol. that really is such a nice tank though. :)

With the help of NASA :P:D

just gorgeous mann wow. so clean looking. hows hte evaporation on it? do you have an auto topoff? sorry to hear about your clowns i hope you find them! i was born in london actually, but i l ive in the states now. I dunno if you would be able to compare but how are the prices for live rock, coral , lights, etc there?

Nishant

Thanks Jeremy for the recognition, but all the work you did on this tank was yours!

Your tank placement, stand, and livestock are all better than mine. What did you work out for auto topoff? I can get my laboratory metering pump back from the current owner for $180Can if anyone wants it (that's what she bought it for, but she has never set it up).

Cheers,

- Chad

just gorgeous mann wow. so clean looking. hows hte evaporation on it? do you have an auto topoff? sorry to hear about your clowns i hope you find them! i was born in london actually, but i l ive in the states now. I dunno if you would be able to compare but how are the prices for live rock, coral , lights, etc there?

Nishant

The evaporation is not so bad, I just top it up twice a day to the same level. I guess it loses about 2 or 3 pints a day.

As for prices over here, typicaly we pay about double what you guys pay for everything!

Thanks Jeremy for the recognition, but all the work you did on this tank was yours!

Your tank placement, stand, and livestock are all better than mine. What did you work out for auto topoff?

- Chad

Thanks Chad,

I've not done anything about an auto top off yet. I did look into using a peristaltic pump, but I think the risk of a leak is too high. I may in the future look into adding a stroked dosing pump though, but for the moment it's not a priority.

Have you ever thought of using a JBJ Auto Top Off

The JBJ auto topoff uses level switches so while it would work, goes against the whole idea of having no equipment in the tank.

Ture. I still love your tank.

Cant find this anywhere, how much did the tank cost to build?

The tank cost £180 ($340) to have built. That includes the drilling of the two holes for the bulkheads.

nice

FTS?

FTS? What does that mean??

All the corals and remaining fish are doing well. My purple plate coral has grown from around 3" when I got it ten days ago to 4" now :o At this rate, I'm going to need a bigger tank!

I am battling hair algae at the moment so I'm doing a 30% water change every other day, the light is only on for 5 hours a day and I'm also feeding as little as I feel comfortable with.

Full Tank Shot :)

Ahh makes sense now. I'll take a shot from all four sides in an hour or two. The light has only just come on so the corals are just waking up.

Here we go. Please excuse the hair algae on the lower rocks. It's slowly but surely going now thanks to water changes, 5 hours of light a day and light feeding.

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Archived