Pod Your Reef

Tigahboy's Prop Tank

Tigahboy

I've been wanting to set-up a prop tank for awhile now, and I figured now was a good of a time as ever. =)

Bought both the stand and prop tank - glass 24x24x12 (would've been a cool display as well) from an LFS. I went there thinking that I could somehow fit the stand in my car and tank in my trunk. didn't quite work out that way.

So Cesar was so kind to drive me back to the LFS in his nice big truck. Thanks again, Cesar!

Check it out. Fits PERFECTLY in my closet; kind of a quasi-in-wall prop set-up. There's more room off to the sides as well so I can conceal a sump tank and auto-top off containers.

prop0404a.jpg

And it's right next to my 67g set-up. I was going to plumb them together, but adin convinced me of the benefits of having 2 separate systems. So I'm probably going to set-up a separate cheap rubbermaid sump off to the side.

prop0404b.jpg

I plan to also remove the closet door completely.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I searched far and wide w/ LFS's and glass manufacturing/repair businesses. NOBODY w/in a reasonable distance from West L.A. cuts glass. Some LFS guy even said "good luck" in a sarcastic tone after telling me no. And the home depot folks looked at me like I was smokin crack when I asked for tools to cut a circular hole in a glass tank.

So I sucked it up and headed over to Reef Collection in Huntington Beach (my first time over at that store). They did a great job and I bought a nice colony of acan while I was there (they have great coral selection as well - comparable to Tong's).

Here's some pics:

prop0404c.jpg

prop0404d.jpg

And w/ bulkhead

prop0404e.jpg

I'm just going to have a simple overflow (1" pipe coming straight from the bottom of tank) w/ some type of coupler w/ netting at the top (or maybe a stockman-style). Nothing fancy since it's going to be a prop tank only (not a display).

I gotta run to home depot now to pick up some more pvc. be back later.

Originally posted by patio

were do you get your glass cut?  

is it cheap?

Reef Collection in Huntington Beach - 40 miles away from me. $20 for each hole.

too many. okay, I'm going for reals now. be back later after I've made a lil more progress w/ the plumbing.

very minor chips which will be sealed off by the rubber gasket (w/ thin layer of silicone) on the bulkhead fitting.

Reefer Addict

Very cool!!!! Thanks for telling us that it is in the closet. Now I will not trip over your stuff looking for it when I raid it for some sweet corals.:D

My 'ganja' tank is supposed to be done this Saturday. I'll believe once I see it..

sweet prop tank dennis. Are you gonna hide all your acans in there when you sleep.:D Just leave the door on so you can surprise people when they come over. while they look at your 67 gallon just say hold on let me get my coat. :)

Make sure you have adequate ventilation. Closets have a knack of making air hot and stagnant with all the lights/equip running.

Originally posted by BelowH2O

Make sure you have adequate ventilation. Closets have a knack of making air hot and stagnant with all the lights/equip running.

Yeah, that is a concern for sure. I plan to run a fan blowing air out of the closet if it gets too hot. and I will only have PC's over the prop tank, so should be a lot less hot than if I had MH's.

Yeah. Usually a small fan does the trick. They have these fans called "blizzards" that work awesome for a small fan. They also have an imitation made by Honeywell that is like 9.99 at walmart. Same thing, alot less.

Reefer Addict

You bastard you!!!!! Rubbing it in!!!!!!!:P

Looks good... Your gonna have that tank up and running by Sat..

manifold consists of 1" pipe (i know, better to use bigger but that's all I had on hand), and it reduces to 1/2" elbows.

prop405c.jpg

Held up at the top of tank by mini-clamps.

prop405d.jpg

I still need to find my other 2 mini-clamps, but here's how it should look.

prop405e.jpg

Archived