Innovative Marine Aquariums

Calling all 5.5's!!!

onthefly

Well,

I can't help but feel as though Gil has called us out with his minibow thread.....not bagging Gil....his tank is the one that got me interested in this hobby!

So I'll start!

Here's the latest pic of my 5.5.....I switching from 64W PC to 70MH + 26W Ac03 PC later this month.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heres a 6-7month old shot of mine.

Ive since added:

3 headed Candy Cane

3 Monti Frags

1 Bali Slimer Frag

Frogspawn

Bullseye shroom

Blue shroom

PIC

and also painted the back blue which has also become severely corraline encrusted.

I will have a new pic within the week of my new 70w in action.

I will keep the 2x28w's as well, so she'll be happily blazed up :)

Well, I just ordered all the crap today!

Currently, I have an open back canopy and with the 2x bookworms and 2x curly's......the heat was a problem in the beginning. I mounted a 40mm comp fan in the back blowing "in" and the temp is steady at 81F.

I figured when I get the MH installed, I might have to add another 40mm fan....we'll see!

Originally posted by onthefly

Hey T - I can't see your pic, but the "5.5" link works.......did you glue the Xenia on the glass? Or did it crawl up there?

I wonder why pic doesnt work.....Gawt Damn webshots!

No, they did the crawling :)

They were on a turbo shell, i just leaned the shell up against the glass, pretty much smushing the xenia and they did the rest.

Did the same for my parents 125.

onthefly - how do you like the mh compared to your pc's. doesnt the temperature fluxuate when the light goes off and then turned back on? how long do you leave your lights on per day? how high is it above the water surface? anymore pics and details? thanks.

Jeez, you guys are more excited about it than I am..... :)

Info about my hood: there's about 3.5-4 inches of clearence above the glass (sitting AGA glass top groove), that little fan really pushes alot of are into and out of the hood through the open back. Before I added it, my temp would get as high as 85-86 (in August of course), once I added the fan, the temp has never exceeded 81. Given that those 2 curly Q's have their ballast attached, I'm hoping that the heat issue will be a wash (2 curly Q's coming out and 1 70W MH going in). However, like I said, I might add a second fan if needed.

Check out this link:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...ight=low+budget

There's most of the info on my set up.

Some of the SPS I added did fine under the PCs, but some lost their color.....that is what has prompted the switch to MHs.

Finally, Next month I'm going to add a 12" CPR Aquafuge. After that, I'm just going to let thing be and see what happens.

great minds fink alike!

Man, i need power tools bad. Im 50% done with cutting, and its quite a chore with this teeny ass little hand saw.

Pics tonight or tommorow.

**UPDATE**

FINISHED!

The hole isnt the prettiest, but its a hole and I can clean it up later :)

The halide is BLAZE-ON, but in the process of fiddlign with stuff I broke on of my 28w PC's, my actinic 03.

So it looks kinda weird right now, with a 6700k PC and the 10k Halide, but its bright as a mofo none the less.

I just ordered 2 actinic03s, so once they get here this thing is gonna look great!

Now I need to figure out where I can relocate my floatswitch too...

You guys are gonna LOVE your halides!

Not a single algae bloom, diatom bloom or any other "plague" that silica is supposed to cause.....EVER!

I have a ton of nitrogen bubbles in the sand bed....I think they actually help to stir the sand they is so many. Tons of worms ( some big.....some small), pods, a handfull of bristles (don't see them much).....nothing seems to miind it!

The biggest problem I had was the AQ150 washing the sand away from the front glass on the right side (even at 1/2 throttle).....thus the LR rubble on that side. As the tank is maturing, I'm noticing the sand has alittle for cohesivness....so I'm up to full throttle now and I'm slowly removing the rubble.

The sand I got was Quikrete "commercial grade/medium sized" very white and very fine.

EDIT: You being in NC...I'd recommend SD though!!!

Originally posted by skylsdale

You NEED to figure out how to get some pics of it on here, T.

well, since i busted the bulb it doesnt look as good as it 'will'. So, I might just wait for the new bulbs before pics :)

although, once the halide is warmed up,a ll the 6700k yellow is invisible.

We will see :) soon enough soon enough!

Here's my 5.5. A lot of stuff is just temporary, and my GSP is just starting to open because it just made a trip home from college. I am going to get some more LR this week sometime, as I just restacked it, I realized that I have very little LR. I just finished up a custom built aquafuge today, so look for a post about it soon.

Lucky

Archived