inTank Media Baskets

A Glowing Experience

gupebreedr

So my second Walmart Pico arrived today and I decided to go ahead and get the bare bones of it set up. It's an unusual tank as you will see from my pictures. This is a little tease of more to come tomorrow when I complete the set up. Enjoy! B)

Tom Deco2 Complete Kit.

2 Gal Acrylic Tank
Rapids Power filter
13 watt Stock PC perch light.

Tank by day!

DSCN0744.jpg

Tank at night!

DSCN0745.jpg

Stay tuned for more updates, upgrades and images tomorrow.

Rob

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here it is, the morning after the night before. My Pico is starting to take shape, finished adding all it's components this morning. As you will see in the following pics I've designed a refugium using a beverage dispenser also purchased at Walmart. I removed the bottom and it flipped upside down. Using the the original top, I siliconed it to make a bottom. For the pump assembly I used a Marina Slim Line 10G. HOB filter, motor unit. It is a perfect fit for the setup and it does have an adjustable flow. Took a few minutes to get the proper adjustment. I don't see any issues with possible back-flow as I finally found a proper setting to maintain the water level. In the event of a power failure, the siphon should break immediately. I've added a Marina preset mini heater. In addition to the heater I have a small powerhead for a little extra circulation. I may remove it at a later time. All in all it was a simple project with minimal amount of DIY skills. The hardest part was cutting the beverage dispenser and that took about 20 minutes.

As you can also see I added a PAR30 bulb over the refugium. I also bought it at Walmart, on the clearance rack for $20.00. I'm hoping it will be okay to maintain some chaeto.

The back of the tank I painted with Krylon "Glowz" paint. It gives a frosted appearance blocking out the HOB filter and at night when the lights are off it glows in the dark. How cool is that?????

So what's left to do is arrange all my power cords and obtain more LS and my LR. Due to my work schedule I won't be able to do that for a few days.

Thoughts, comments and suggestions gladly accepted.

Rob

DSCN0746.jpg

DSCN0748.jpg

DSCN0747.jpg

The glow-in-the-dark paint is a neat idea!

Thanks Gena,

I thought it would be something a bit different to try. Kinda looks a bit eerie at night though. :o

lol, looks wicked...can't wait for Woog to take a peak at this... it'll be the battle of the Hulk tanks!

Woogs will turn GREEN with envy, huh??????

you know...I am tempted now with this glow in the dark business..... damn you's walmart-ian's and you're cheap pico aquariums! Damn yous!

you know...I am tempted now with this glow in the dark business..... damn you's walmart-ian's and you're cheap pico aquariums! Damn yous!

Hey, hey, hey, I'z not cheap, I'z frugal. :lol: It was my intention to have everything for this tank purchased at Wally's World, minus the livestock of course but I couldn't find the Marina filter assembly or Marina heater there.

Aaaahh!! - I love it!

I love the return - genius. I've been thinking about something similar, but the return was stumping me. Everything I came up with was getting too complicated. This is a great, simple idea.

Aaaahh!! - I love it!

I love the return - genius. I've been thinking about something similar, but the return was stumping me. Everything I came up with was getting too complicated. This is a great, simple idea.

Thanks, I won't say genius, just lucky. I'm pretty please how it turned out. Can't wait to get some live rock in there. It looks so sterile right now.

I'm green with envy. You get to play TWICE! and they both look cool (although this one is my fav now)

Does that glow in the dark paint come in pink? :rolleyes: or any other color?

No it does not come in any other color that I am aware of but here's a thought, spray the glow in the dark paint first and then cover it with a second color of your choice. You would probably have to go with a darker shade of whatever color you desire. Just a thought!!!!!! B)

love this idea! wonder how well the paint will last in the long run.. as it will lose its glow in the dark properties :)

IDK, time will tell. I can say that the glow in the dark only lasted about 20 minutes tho. Perhaps that because I only had lights on it for a few hours.

Rob

No it does not come in any other color that I am aware of but here's a thought, spray the glow in the dark paint first and then cover it with a second color of your choice. You would probably have to go with a darker shade of whatever color you desire. Just a thought!!!!!! B)

I think you could do it with this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glow-dark-pigment-...0#ht_684wt_1110

You would have to go with hand painting by brush or roller, but I think this mixed into a blue background would be really cool looking.

I think you could do it with this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glow-dark-pigment-...0#ht_684wt_1110

You would have to go with hand painting by brush or roller, but I think this mixed into a blue background would be really cool looking.

Hey, that's always an option as well. :) I was not aware of this product. If some one tries it please post results and pics.

Woogs? hang his head in shame? never! he's probably preparing to bring the rain is all.

I think I'm going to have more fun starting crap between you two during this contest than I would if I actually participated lol

Archived