Top Shelf Aquatics

keydivers 40g rimless seagrass/lagoon tank

keydiver

Ok, my high tech FW tank is finally broken down, and this will be taking its place. I did it all pretty fast because I had some dude deliver a bunch of live rock to me for $1.50 a lb, an offer I couldn't refuse. Anyways, it's now awaiting livestock, and I havea pressurized C02 system, but i'm going to hold off on that until I see what kind of growth rate i get with my seagrass.

lighting: 2x55w power compact custom hood

C02: double stage regulator with ada pollen diffuser/ clippard solenoid and fabco needle valve

Dosing: Planning on dosing KNO3 for macro nutrients, possible monopotassium phosphate for P

Tank- Custom starfire rimless 40g

filtration- MACROS and seagrass with herbie style overflow modified for use w standpipes- 10g sump with submerged media

Here are pictures, please let me know how you like teh scape, as it is not set in stone yet and i would like to get peoples opinions

in the beginning

macroroomtank007.jpg

New shrimp tank from broken down FW

macroroomtank023.jpg

C02 equipment

macroroomtank018.jpg

FTS w/ stand

macroroomtank020.jpg

filtration

macroroomtank019.jpg

FTS

macroroomtank009.jpg

closeup on middle of tank

macroroomtank014.jpg

macroroomtank016.jpg

macroroomtank015.jpg

Right side

macroroomtank013.jpg

left side- nice cave for shrimp or non-photo coral

macroroomtank012.jpg

left island

macroroomtank011.jpg

right island

macroroomtank010.jpg

Thanks everybody! Enjoy and comment!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks nice, can't wait to see it with the grass!

Thanks, I'm hoping to get some grass soon enough! I'll probably put some of my macros in from the other tank within the next couple days as well.

Nice build so far! This is gonna look great once you get the seagrass in there. Following :)

Thanks for the compliments everybody.

Well done,

How much flow the seagrass needs? If you have too much surface agitation then maybe there will be not enough CO2 for the plants, not sure though.

Thanks everybody! I should be putting some macros in from my existing macro tank tonight or tomorrow! I still need to find a source for seagrass, if anybody is willing to sell LMK

Well done,

How much flow the seagrass needs? If you have too much surface agitation then maybe there will be not enough CO2 for the plants, not sure though.

Thanks shrimpo, hope your macros are doing good as well! That's what I was thinking, but I will have to play around w/ surface agitation, lighting and nutrients to get the right balance, I think it's more of trail and error than anything

Looks nice, the only thing I am concerned about is the overflow in the middle of the tank. If you were to have a power outage, being so low in the tank, I would say that your sump would definitely be flooded by the amount of water draining from the display.

Looks nice, the only thing I am concerned about is the overflow in the middle of the tank. If you were to have a power outage, being so low in the tank, I would say that your sump would definitely be flooded by the amount of water draining from the display.

The middle standpipe is actually the return. I have a check valve in place specifically to prevent that. The standpipe to the right is the real overflow, and the standpipe to the left is the emergency overflow in case the main gets clogged.

The middle standpipe is actually the return. I have a check valve in place specifically to prevent that. The standpipe to the right is the real overflow, and the standpipe to the left is the emergency overflow in case the main gets clogged.

your setting yourself up for failure. check valves can and will fail, its just a matter of time. you should have designed your sump to be able to hold the water that will drain in the event of a power outage. sorry to be so blunt, but id hate for you to have 40 gallons of water on the floor and a destroyed tank.

your setting yourself up for failure. check valves can and will fail, its just a matter of time. you should have designed your sump to be able to hold the water that will drain in the event of a power outage. sorry to be so blunt, but id hate for you to have 40 gallons of water on the floor and a destroyed tank.

I designed it so that in the event of a power outage, there is enough room in my sump for the water to drain down to the main overflow, not the return standpipe. If my check valve failed, there would only be a few gallons of spillage, but that's in the event that my check valve failed, and my power went out.

hopefully that doesn't happen :mellow:

You cant raise the return like 2" higher?

It was originally higher, but I had to cut down the standpipe a little bit because the return was pumping over the back of the tank, and i'm only running a mag 5 on it, so downgrading the pump would give it inadequate flow.

Awesome rock scape man! Some how I think this tank is going to eventually end up being dominated by corals instead of macros lol. Tank looks deeper than a 40B though.

Awesome rock scape man! Some how I think this tank is going to eventually end up being dominated by corals instead of macros lol. Tank looks deeper than a 40B though.

Thanks for the kind words!

nahh I think i'm gonna stick to macros with this one....until my reef grows out its biocube at least :happy:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a long overdue update. I have my cleanup crew in, consisting of hermits, ceriths, nerites, and a few nassarius.

I have some macros in, mostly greens. I'm waiting to make sure they do ok before adding any others, but so far so good. I haven't found a place to buy seagrass yet, still looking around. I'm running the system without C02 injection right now, but we'll see if I set it up or not. My cycle is done for the most part, it did go through a HUGE diatom bloom.

Here's stuff that i've added already:

red grape caulerpa

codium

halmeida monile

red titan

udotea

flame algae

spatula algae

mermaids shaving brush

picecone algae

cactus caulerpa

neomeris

Let me know how you like it!

FTS 9/6/11

40gmacrotank9-6-11007.jpg

red grape

40gmacrotank9-6-11012.jpg

flame algae

40gmacrotank9-6-11015.jpg

udotea

40gmacrotank9-6-11014.jpg

hermit

40gmacrotank9-6-11016.jpg

codium

40gmacrotank9-6-11018.jpg

40gmacrotank9-6-11011.jpg

pinecone

40gmacrotank9-6-11017.jpg

cactus caulerpa

40gmacrotank9-6-11009.jpg

titan

40gmacrotank9-6-11013.jpg

• Like 1

Brainstorming on what I want to keep in here. I want it to be primarily a species tank for some type of cool invert pair, or possibly fish.

I would REALLY like to house a pair of dwarf cuttlefish, but not sure if that's a reality. Also looking into seahorses/ pipefish, but they need lower temperatures.

Any other ideas or advice is welcome.

Archived