Pod Your Reef

BKR's 14g BioCUBE...Done Right! Tank Mods...September 2012

BKR

Hello I am Brian, :welcome:

I started this tank in January 2011 and I have not had a saltwater tank in over 15 years and never a nano and never a reef tank...fish only. So far with this tank I have never lost a life and my water quality is always perfect. :bowdown: The dosing I do is Reef Results Cal Carb All Natural One-Step Buffer and Kent Tech M. The best filter I have to keep my water pristine is that I do a 3 gallon water change on Saturdays and 1 gallon every other day. That is 6 gallons per week which is basically half of the entire capacity of water changed every week. Seems like a lot but again ZERO loss of life in 16 months. I have gone out of town for 3-4 days at a time and all my parameters stayed perfect so I know all the natural and mechanical filtration methods are working great. I do not use an ATO so other than water top offs I could go longer without maintenance and still have acceptable parameters. The excessive water changes are overkill, I know that, but it's so easy to do and cheap, why not do it!!! omgomgomg

6044725182_c3b63544a9.jpg

I like how this small tank appears to be larger than it is and looks like a mound of coral and rock like i see when I'm diving. I have so much coral growth I could frag pieces each week and not notice anything looking smaller.

I said to my wife :wub: when I bought this "I will NEVER modify this tank"...Well...the only stock piece now is the glass itself. :blush:

I have figured out a great affordable set up that is easy to do in the back chambers based on a lot I've read on this site and with my own ideas. This 14g BioCUBE is efficient, clean and stock looking...No rigging on this tank... Done Right or not at all!!! I have done a couple of expensive upgrades as well with my lights (Nanocustoms 3.6 Cree LED Retro Kit w/moonlights- $525.00) and with flow and current (Vortech MP10- $225.00) but the back three chambers upgrades total cost was less than $150.00.

About temperature with this tank; I keep my house between 72 -74 degrees year around and I keep my heater at 78 F. I do not have nor do I need a chiller. The tank's max temp is 79 degrees daytime and the heater keeps it at 78 degrees nighttime. Only a 1 degree flux...SWEET!!!

My water tests are always ZERO across the board with PH- 8.2/8.3, Calcium- 420, Alk- 9 and Mag 1400. I test every 4-5 days and ALL IS GOOD!!!

Here is my tank list, setup and mods involved with this tank currently and I will update regularly

Updated 08/24/11

Equipment:

14g Oceanic Biocube

14g B/C Stand

3.6 Cree NC's LED Retro Kit

LED R2 Moonlight Kit

Vortech MP10w Es

Maxijet 900 utility return pump

Nanoglo fuge LED light

Oceanic B/C Skimmer with upgraded air pump

Fluval 50W Heater

Twin Loc-line Return Nozzles

Coral Life multi function timer

6038519749_326202f670.jpg

6042061881_c4c5496db1.jpg

6044509687_3819ef5f7c.jpg

Modifications and Placement:

Chamber 1- Oceanic Biocube Skimmer and I also notched the separator between C1 and C2 for increased flow, leaving the center of separator for the skimmer to attach to with the stock clip that is on the skimmer (I did not remove bottom false grate or enlarge intake slots from display area) By the way I kinda like the Oceanic skimmer, I regularly change the wood air stone and daily I adjust the air flow but I get some good skim-ate from it.

6042603452_a68469248a_m.jpg6042605342_6021b42eb8_m.jpg

Chamber 2- Increased flow thru drip plate by enlarging existing drip holes and adding notches. 1.5" under drip plate added a grate to place the Pura Filtration Pad on. Under the grate and Pura pad is the ball of Cheato (Nanoglo LED fuge light attached with magnet shinning thru back glass viewing square). Cheato resting on existing false bottom grate (did not remove either). Cheato doubles in size every 10-15 days, so I trim as needed.

6042605342_6021b42eb8.jpg

6042060433_617331558f_m.jpg6042060137_b3a440ec35_m.jpg

6042608318_c5fd3b945f_m.jpg6042608784_5f47148eb6_m.jpg

Chamber 3- Stock blue sponge used to filter between C2 and C3, keeps cheato out of C3 return pump area. (Cleaned weekly with pump off so no cheato sucks thru into tank, vacuum chamber of C3 to keep cheato and crap out of display when pump goes back on) Glued a screen on overflow square hole between C2 and C3 (It traps cheato and debris from flowing over into C3 when pump is off and water level raises). Heater attached to back glass wall, Maxijet 900 utility pump, with intake nozzle on pump shortened to fit into bottom of the chamber suctioned to the glass bottom perfectly and return is connected to a Loc-line return, twin nozzles w/ two different tips.

6042056371_b5b4ef7ce8.jpg

6042243469_ac0d5d5266.jpg

Display Area:

Vortech MP-10w ES

Loc-line return, twin nozzles w/ two different tips

15lbs Liverock

2" live crush coral sand bed

2 little fishys nano mag

6044725182_c3b63544a9.jpg

6042064623_476ecefb0d.jpg

Hood

Cree LED lighting w/ dimming controls- 54W, 9 NW & 9 RB

LED R2 Moonlight Kit

Upgraded fans

6042602414_ec65d202a0.jpg

6043129920_1a9cb66964.jpg

Livestock:

Fish:

Picasso Percula Clown

Clarkii Clown

Watchman Goby

Firefish

6039060826_e17d328d98.jpg

6077113753_372ef91ca0.jpg

Inverts:

Blood Red Shrimp

Emerald Green Crab

3 Pom Pom Crabs

12 Blue-Legged Hermit Crabs

Red Sea Serpent

Sea Hare (for hair algae)

6042839783_091c9be108.jpg

6058281806_b1d4e5e4fe.jpg

6089477077_94edf4e98a.jpg

Corals:

Acros

Zoas

Brain

Monti

Acans

Candy Cane

Stylophora Pistillata

Star

Duncan

Rics

Misc others (forgot the names)

Misc Lifeforms:

Ball of Cheato

6039064112_f060c27288_m.jpg

6038532059_375aba7988_m.jpg

6057736553_82b7c085a7_m.jpg

:happydance:***************************:happydance:*************************** :happydance:***************************:happydance:

I will continue to post ideas, thoughts and experiences with this tank on a regular basis. Updated 09/28/2012

Thanks for reading and please ask any questions or give me advice or comments anytime!!

Brian :rant:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's great, how expensive is it to do the nearly full tank water change per week, plus throw out the carbon and stuff every 3 days you said?

I buy sea water at my LFS so $0.60 per gallon = $6.00 per week. The carbon floss cost $5.00 and last 2 weeks so total is about $8.50 per week. Not bad at all. Can't really do the whole tank change thing in larger tanks but because mine is only 10 gallons...I can... and again I do not waste a cent on dead creatures. My LFS guy in S. Florida has been in business 35 years and he is amazing in his knowledge and help so I pick his brain on all my ideas and the WC's at this quantity was suggested by him.

I think your tank looks amazing! Love the colors you have going on, it looks much bigger than it is! I hope when my tank matures it can look something like this. I just started a 10G, its my first venture into saltwater or reef keeping!

Great work!

Also, how do you like your firefish? I'm planning on getting one and love to hear people's opinions on them! :)

I think your tank looks amazing! Love the colors you have going on, it looks much bigger than it is! I hope when my tank matures it can look something like this. I just started a 10G, its my first venture into saltwater or reef keeping!

Great work!

Also, how do you like your firefish? I'm planning on getting one and love to hear people's opinions on them! :)

I luv um...when i turn off my pumps he is out everywhere but mostly he stays in the cave with my clown, they share a sand bed hole

Great work!

Also thanks for the comments!!!

post-64405-1313289205_thumb.jpg

Your corals look real nice, how do you like your mp10?

Thank You. I really like the mp10. Always giving the reef random current changing all the time like the ocean. It really brings out the best in the corals. Love the controller and choices.

Thank You...Thank You...I've enjoyed this nano more than I ever thought. I did all my tank work over the past few weeks so there was no projects to do on the tank.... so I made the thread about the tank!

You're rics are pretty sexy. I got my first ric last week and let's just say I'll be adding more :lol:

That rock there on now is slowly being covered with rics. Hopefully within a few months it will be covered!!!

Thanks

Looks good, and nice write up. I might be a little concerned about the clown. They get a little big, and aggressive for a 14G biocube. Nothing is more annoying than having to try and remove an aggressive fish from a fully established tank (I'm dealing with it right now in my tank :angry:)

6042243469_b0762c23ca.jpg

Display Area:

Vortech MP-10w ES

I like this configuration for the return. What exact Loc-line parts did you use to rig that up? Is it simply a Y fitting and two flare nozzles or is there more to it?

6042243469_b0762c23ca.jpg

Display Area:

Vortech MP-10w ES

I like this configuration for the return. What exact Loc-line parts did you use to rig that up? Is it simply a Y fitting and two flare nozzles or is there more to it?

Yep, just the Y, one with a 2" fan tip pointing up and the other about an 1" pointing slightly downward

Looks good, and nice write up. I might be a little concerned about the clown. They get a little big, and aggressive for a 14G biocube. Nothing is more annoying than having to try and remove an aggressive fish from a fully established tank (I'm dealing with it right now in my tank :angry:)

I got him when he was tiny and just started the tank and I didn't know that Clarkii can be a little aggressive. Well he is bigger and a tough guy but pretty nice to everything so far. I have a feeling I will have to fish him out someday soon. :huh:

By the way uwwmatt, I read your guide info all the time when I got started...Thanks for all the help!!!!

olemanwinter
6046738863_10dcf8d2ca.jpg

Pretty impressive extension on that candy cane. I certainly never see it to that degree with the lights on.

I really like your tank. It definitely seems bigger than it is. I hate to say it though, but you have way too much expense wrapped up in the tank for my personal tastes. Your tank looks great, but I really fought with myself about adding an MP10 to my bc14. I just can't see spending $600 on lighting for 14 gallons. I talked to the folks at nano-tuners on the phone and they were trying to sell me on the idea of the LED upgrade instead of the PC upgrade, but the price point just isn't there. For the same price you could do a 10 bulb T5 fixture on a 48" tank, or something else.

Don't get me wrong, your tank rocks. I guess if money was no object for me, I might do that, but between spending $1500 on a BC14 and $1500 on a 90 gallon starfire custom tank....I would chose the latter.

I have some questions about your filtration setup. Is there a reason why you didn't remove the false bottom in chamber 1? Did you just see no need or was there another reason?

Many people I see, including myself, place the floss on top of the tray in chamber 2. Any reason why you don't?

I already removed the tab between chambers 1 and 2, does that rule out the addition of the biocube skimmer there if I wanted to get one?

Did you ever run the stock return pump and return nozel? If so, I'm wondering if the lockline return inhibits the larger pump flow to a more reasonable level like the original return pump. With nothing but leathers and LPS in my tank, I really don't want too much linear flow. Its' perfect with the stock pump, but I also want to use lockline hardware.

I also keep my house cool at 70 degrees. I've never seen my tank fluctuate actually, day or night. I think the heater runs constantly. That's probably bad for the heater but good for the tank I guess.

One more question. What do you feed the tank? I'm shocked that you have any algae at all in that tank considering your massive water changes, skjimmer, and chaeto. I have to imagine that either your water or food must contain some phosphates.

VERY COOL sea hare. I have really debated getting one, but thought it would be too large.

I will be following your thread for sure. Great tank.

The candy cane has tripled in size in the last 2 months...it's almost always like that

Yes it is a lot of money but it's my hobby. I love tinkering with it and wanted the random flow and current and the dimming of the blues and whites separately and I wanted the stock hood. I've never wasted a dime on anything dying so that savings has to count towards the over spending...lol 5g to 90g I'd spend the same!!!

No need as of now to remove the false bottom in C1. I'm scared to knock it out and break something also.

I did run the stock pump and return nozzle for 6 months. I changed to a single loc-line with a 2" fan nozzle still using the stock pump and it was awesome. I changed to the maxijet last week to increase the filtration going thru the back chambers and add some extra current working against the mp10 to increase the randomness of the currents in my tank.

There is a suction cup setup with that comes with the skimmer but not sure if you can use it on the B/C. It's really setup to clip on there and the hood closes nicely around it... I'm sure there is a way to rig it, there always is with salt tanks.

When I put the floss on top it slowed my flow and only got half or less the water flowing thru. With the carbon pad floss I cut the square snug and all the water passes thru plus I get the benefit the carbon filter as well (small amount of carbon coating on this lightweight HBH brand pad I use...I didn't want much carbon in the reef tank....I really like my drip plate, carbon floss, Cheato setup)

Somehow got some GHA in there when i was just getting setup and it never got terrible but with my Sun Coral and his feedings and I feed everything in this tank. mysis, phtyo feed, oyster feed stuff and tiny pellets for the fish. I use straight Atlantic Ocean salt water from my LFS in south florida and he runs through sterilizer and I buy it. The sea hare finished off every single strand of GHA in my tank in 10 days...I love um but he is clumsy so I am letting him stay for another couple weeks then swapping him with a buddy then I'll get him back when I need him again...he's a rental rabbit. I have reduced my feeding and quantities over the past few weeks to keep the Phos down even though it never shows on testing. My ranges are perfect in all 5-6 things I test for.

Thanks for your response and interest. :)

Do you have any idea how quickly they spread under normal circumstances?

My Rics have split so i have double the amount after 4-5 months. Kinda quickly it seems

Nice BC14. I just started with mine and its fun modding and looking forward to modding some more. MP10 and LEDs are on my wishlist :D

What are your favorite LFS? I live in Pembroke and work in Coral Springs, so Allfish/Allpets is all I've seen for now. Would love to check out some other places....

Nice BC14. I just started with mine and its fun modding and looking forward to modding some more. MP10 and LEDs are on my wishlist :D

What are your favorite LFS? I live in Pembroke and work in Coral Springs, so Allfish/Allpets is all I've seen for now. Would love to check out some other places....

I like the Barrier Reef in Boca. I deal with Brad who works Sun-Thurs and he has been working at this same store for 20 years. They are overpriced, but his help and patience and that they keep pretty good stuff there as well, most of the time, and they are really cool with me, makes them my favorite.

Good luck with your tank and Thanks!!!!! :)

I like the Barrier Reef in Boca. I deal with Brad who works Sun-Thurs and he has been working at this same store for 20 years. They are overpriced, but his help and patience and that they keep pretty good stuff there as well, most of the time, and they are really cool with me, makes them my favorite.

Good luck with your tank and Thanks!!!!! :)

Cool. I'll check them out. Sorry for the slight derail ;)

Archived