inTank Media Baskets

BKR's 14g BioCUBE...Done Right! Tank Mods...September 2012

BKR

Cool. I'll check them out. Sorry for the slight derail ;)

No problem at all. Tell Brad that Brian sent ya. He is totally helpful and will not try to sell you anything. When I first met him he talked me out of many big dollar purchases i was willing to make in the store because he felt the tank or time wasn't right.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SouthFlorida_Tron

"I said to my wife when I bought this "I will NEVER modify this tank"...Well...the only stock piece now is the glass itself."

my wife too lol

also, using Larry's reef carbonator, i also found i held extremely LOW calcium levels... and pH for being a pH buffer... so i switched to B-Ionic since i have mainly SPS....i wonder if the reef results kalkwasser wouldve been more potent...

Nice tank. I also have the NC BC14 Cree upgrade. What are your lets set to? I can't seem to get mine right.

I just pm'd evil yesterday asking him the same question.

I have neutral whites instead of cool white so my setting may be different, supposably the NW's are stronger than the CW's. The most common setting I keep is blues at 90% and whites at 45%....pretty close to that plus or minus alittle maybe.

How bout you?

"I said to my wife when I bought this "I will NEVER modify this tank"...Well...the only stock piece now is the glass itself."

my wife too lol

also, using Larry's reef carbonator, i also found i held extremely LOW calcium levels... and pH for being a pH buffer... so i switched to B-Ionic since i have mainly SPS....i wonder if the reef results kalkwasser wouldve been more potent...

I am sooooo dense when it comes to dosing. I was at Larry's on Atlantic last week. I do massive water changes so that in itself keeps me at 380 + or - a couple. I like that larry's stuff has all the trace elements. As I move up in size on my tanks I will def. need to learn more cause then I will rely on the filtration and maybe 10-20 percent changes weekly instead of 90 percent or more wc's on the 14g ...lol. So i'll need to know what products work the best and really what i'll need (I want a 45g cube)

SouthFlorida_Tron
I am sooooo dense when it comes to dosing. I was at Larry's on Atlantic last week. I do massive water changes so that in itself keeps me at 380 + or - a couple. I like that larry's stuff has all the trace elements. As I move up in size on my tanks I will def. need to learn more cause then I will rely on the filtration and maybe 10-20 percent changes weekly instead of 90 percent or more wc's on the 14g ...lol. So i'll need to know what products work the best and really what i'll need (I want a 45g cube)

what him n Bobby suggested I try was to give it a nice big squirt, til it was cloudy cloudy... But wha I realized is my alk would increase to almost 11-12 but calc wouldn't go past 400. It didn't work for me, that's y I switched, on ur next batch, try their kalkwasser. Should be stronger, and also has trace.

what him n Bobby suggested I try was to give it a nice big squirt, til it was cloudy cloudy... But wha I realized is my alk would increase to almost 11-12 but calc wouldn't go past 400. It didn't work for me, that's y I switched, on ur next batch, try their kalkwasser. Should be stronger, and also has trace.

Same with mine calc. was low alk was high a couple months ago. I cut the dosing in half and then, calc stayed at about 380-400 and alk was 8.

i will def try the Kalkwasser...thx

SouthFlorida_Tron
What is B-Ionic and are you currently using it? I am moving towards mostly SPS as well.

I am using it. It is a product by ESV & it's a two part (calc + alk) and also contains trace. I found Dosing 4-5ml of each keeps my levels @ 475 / 10.

Once I added magnesium to the mix (1450-1500) coraline popped up all over the tank. I use kent's tech-m to go with the b-ionic.

There's other two parts: Kent, brightwell, etc. These work fine so I stick with it.

I am using it. It is a product by ESV & it's a two part (calc + alk) and also contains trace. I found Dosing 4-5ml of each keeps my levels @ 475 / 10.

Once I added magnesium to the mix (1450-1500) coraline popped up all over the tank. I use kent's tech-m to go with the b-ionic.

There's other two parts: Kent, brightwell, etc. These work fine so I stick with it.

Thanks I'm going to talk to my guy Brad at Barrier reef and try it out...thx

SouthFlorida_Tron

Ya, be weary on him suggesting other random products. Remember it will be the least expensive @ marinedepot.com

Ya, be weary on him suggesting other random products. Remember it will be the least expensive @ marinedepot.com

My guy Brad, he never does that. I talk to him about what I'm thinking and he gives me this thoughts, he never suggest certain brands to me. The brands you use he sells...I don't worry bout the cost too much cause of his time with me (I give myself a weekly budget on my tank spending and my wife supports my tank and loves my little creatures biggg time, shes a kindergarten teacher and brings video of the tank and inhabs for the kids...lol)...all my equipment purchases I do at Marine Depot as well mostly.

In short, You use 2 part B-ionic and 2 part kent tech m...4-5 ml...how often?

Thanks for your help today as well :bowdown:

SouthFlorida_Tron

as far as B-ionic, my system absorbs the 5ml of Alk/Calc extrememly well. holds alk at 11, and calc at 475 on the dot (saliferts)

kent tech-m i use 3.5ml and it will hold between 1450-1500.

I stopped by ECO REEF Aquariums today, talked to Larry about your low levels with the calc carb, he suggested not to switch to kalkwasser as it is less concentrated than the carb and that what u have now is the better product. he suggested giving it a huge dose, like twice as much, it will spike the ph, but will settle. not that im fond of a ph swing but ive seen him pour it into his sps tank.

they do however also have this to think about:

7e134229.jpg

they make their own 3 parts (all doses separate) which i didnt even know about, but at $15 a pop, kinda pricy considering b-ionic is like $8 i think for both parts, then mag is aother 10 or so lol

talk to your dude at barrier reef, see his thoughts, pm me anytime cuz i live next to their store (ECO REEF) and can go investigate anytime :P

as far as B-ionic, my system absorbs the 5ml of Alk/Calc extrememly well. holds alk at 11, and calc at 475 on the dot (saliferts)

kent tech-m i use 3.5ml and it will hold between 1450-1500.

I stopped by ECO REEF Aquariums today, talked to Larry about your low levels with the calc carb, he suggested not to switch to kalkwasser as it is less concentrated than the carb and that what u have now is the better product. he suggested giving it a huge dose, like twice as much, it will spike the ph, but will settle. not that im fond of a ph swing but ive seen him pour it into his sps tank.

they do however also have this to think about:

7e134229.jpg

they make their own 3 parts (all doses separate) which i didnt even know about, but at $15 a pop, kinda pricy considering b-ionic is like $8 i think for both parts, then mag is aother 10 or so lol

talk to your dude at barrier reef, see his thoughts, pm me anytime cuz i live next to their store (ECO REEF) and can go investigate anytime :P

I most definitely will..Thx...good work SF Tron

The young kid (20 to 25 years old...dark hair)dumped it into the tanks when I was there a while back so I totally believe you

This is the tank (this pic is from today) that I went to buy filters for and came home with the BioCUBE in January ...lol

6054490353_fc592daf6f.jpg

Landscape shot, walking in the front door

6054512917_0804980a05.jpg

Marlin wanted to be in the pic as well!!!

6055062728_3786bf8529.jpg

Heading to my LFS for better testing equipment for my water para's and some new dosin stuff!!!!

God ...please keep me away from the frag tank :scarry:

SouthFlorida_Tron

Remember, ask between larrys 3 part or the b-ionic, and grab salifert kits, nitrate, alk, calc, mag... Ph if u want. Mine never changes

Just checking out the tank shots back on page one. Do you still have the rock with the orange zoas and orange coraline? Very cool looking. Has the orange coraline spread?

I had a tiny patch (1/8") on a Bali rock but it disappeared over time and the purple took over.

Your rock looks pretty covered. Nice unique piece in the tank.

Just checking out the tank shots back on page one. Do you still have the rock with the orange zoas and orange coraline? Very cool looking. Has the orange coraline spread?

I had a tiny patch (1/8") on a Bali rock but it disappeared over time and the purple took over.

Your rock looks pretty covered. Nice unique piece in the tank.

That rock is covered with zoas still has some orange but much more purps and reds...Thanks :D

Pom Pom Crab. I have 3 and they share there anemones when they lose one. Cool crabs...hard for me to get good pics because of my limited camera abilities.

6058296652_744dc71853.jpg

Well I had to get my Clarkii Clown out cause he was getting big and a little testy. WOW....I had to take all my LR and corals out to get um. Traded him at my LFS and got a Picasso Percula Clown. He is very cool and I look forward to him getting comfy in his new home, no anemones in my tank so I am curious bout where he will hang. Got rid of my small torch and fragged my Froggy and traded in 5 of the 7 heads.

Here he is: 6077113753_372ef91ca0.jpg

Archived