Cultivated Reef

fewskillz' ever-evolving nano tank

fewskillz

I have one goal for this tank: Simplicity.

I've been complaining that I don't like the dimensions of my 20h nano-reef ever since I upgraded from a 10 earlier this year. That tank is going bye bye and I'm starting over with another 10 gallon. Just so happened this contest popped up so I figured I might as well take a shot at some prizes since everything I am planning fits in the rules.

This tank will be cheap, this tank will be easy, this tank will be beautiful. My intent is to be an example to noobs everywhere of what quality (not necessarily expensive!) equipment and good husbandry can look like.

Budget:

Equipment:

AC110 - $74.99

(Can't believe how expensive this is, I bought my actual one from petsmart like 3 years ago for like $45. They match their online prices in the store...guess they caught on to how much cheaper their online prices were, it's now $90!)

Visi-Therm Stealth 50w Heater- Nevermind, heaters are free!

2x65w power compact - $59

12" Incandescent strip Fuge light - $13.99 (This thing was like $7 w/ petsmarts online price, oh well)

13-w GE 6500k spiral CFL - $3.22 (19.32 divided by 6)

Equipment Total: $151.20

Livestock:

Blue Chromis - $13.50

Royal Gramma - $11.25

Peppermint shrimp - $3 (x2) $6

Emerald crab - $5

Porcelain crab - $10

Gorgonias - $3 (x3) $9

zoas - $1 PP (x3 frags, roughly 15 polyps) $45

ricordeas - $10 (x4) $40

5 pounds of live rock from the LFS - $20

Livestock Total: $159.75

Grand Total: $310.95

Remaining budget: $39.05

Current FTS:

tengallon.jpg

Everything is still all disorganized from setting up the tank. Frags are in the soap dish and all the gorgonias were knocked over. I have another 2 or 3 pounds of rock and lots more sand to add.

Some spare equipment that I have at my disposal that I may switch to. Putting these links here for reference so I don't have to hunt for them if I switch:

I was going to use Single lamp 40w Current Satellite - $56.99, but it needs a new lamp and with using the HOB filter it pushes the lamp directly over the versa-top hinge. Shadows are ugly, I have the odyssea laying around, might as well use it.

Aqua Clear 70 - $46.99

Koralia Nano - $18.69

JBJ 70w K2 Viper - $148.49

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BIOTOPE! this is gonna be sweet!

BTW, this 10 gallon contest is perfect timing, as I will be setting up a 10 gallon soon... lots of inspiration!

Good luck!

Hey u don't have to take $$ for the heater :P

;) jus' sayin'

oooh a biotope, I'm gonna try for a biotope :unsure:

I just noticed the heater thing in your thread, so I went back and reread the freebies section. Sweet, $20 more for livestock!

Biotopes are dumb. Don't do one.

Ohh Ohh!!! Neon Tetras!

Whats funny about this is I want to find that new rimless Hagen tank that Maria found for her contest 10 and do a planted tank with Neon Tetras in it!

But no, no SW tetras. The 2 fish I'm hoping for do have some blue though...

Wow, there are some really good ppl participating in this, this is gonna be an awesome contest!

I like where you're going with this Skillzy, I'll be watching this one. :)

I'm ready to put in my order to SLF.

Couldn't wait any longer. Order placed. I guess its time to let the cat out of the bag:

This tank is going to be a Caribbean biotope!

I just ordered 3 gorgonia frags, 3 zoa frags, and 5 ricordeas.

The CUC will be blue leg hermits, florida cerith, nerite, & astrea snails, and an emerald crab.

The non CUC inverts will be a peppermint shrimp and a porcelain crab.

Fish: A blue reef chromis for movement, and the centerpiece of this tank......dromroll please.....a mated pair of yellowheaded jawfish.

This is a heavy bioload, but that is intentional because I want these softies to really grow in this short 6 months. I'm not worried about the health of the tank because I'm going to stay on top of maintenance.

I'll do the final tally in the top post, but this pretty much spends every penny of the budget.

13-w GE 6500k spiral CFL - $3.22 (19.32 divided by 6)

Great Start.

All these "shoppers" in the contest. I haven't even been to the store yet!

Note above. I don't know what your configuration is, but Lowe's and Home Depot have this bulb in a reflector body and it's just a bit more moola but directs the light just where you want it. I am actually growing coral under the 26W version, at like $9.00! Might work for you.

Don't let these naysayers get to you. Biotopes are the coolest and possibly easiest to set up and maintain. Now for the artistic part!

Great Start.

All these "shoppers" in the contest. I haven't even been to the store yet!

Don't let these naysayers get to you. Biotopes are the coolest and possibly easiest to set up and maintain. Now for the artistic part!

Thanks! I haven't actually been to a store yet, I have all of the equipment already, so I just had to find prices for it all. I just ordered all the livestock online. I haven't found my fuge light yet in my pile of spare aquarium parts though, so if I can't find it I'll check out the light you mentioned. Thanks for the heads up!

As for the naysayers, that was me trying to convince Maria not to do a biotope since thats what I was planning all along! I can't wait for the artistic part, one more day!

I updated my budget in post #1.

I don't think you have deduct the fuge light or the bulbs... :huh:

It wasn't specifically listed as free so I counted them towards the budget. I counted the bulb because that light doesn't come with a bulb.

If fuge light was something that was discussed in the really long thread then I missed it because I didn't follow that one, I'm basing everything off of Jacobs post in the current thread.

Archived