Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mrs. Nanoty's 3g Picotope........

nanoty

Well after sitting by and watching me reef for the last few years, we discussed getting a tank for her classroom. Of course she wanted to see how it would be to take care of so I found a deal on a used picotope from the classifieds here from cuboy, ordered a few dodads and here we are. I will chronicle the tank's build for as long as we have it but she will be doing the maintinance to it with me as a coach.

I guess an equipment list is in order:

-3g JBJ picotope

-24w CF Aquatraders light

-25w Visitherm stealth heater

-Koralia nano

-3-4lbs of LS

-AC30 (AC70 for fuge is on the way thanks to danktank, going to use the stock light for fuge light)

I just set it up about 15 minutes ago. I need to get a few lbs of LR and I will be transferring some corals from my 40 breeder that don't seem to like the MH light.

Finally on to a few pics. Cloudy because of the LS but keep in mind my house is eleventy billion years old so excuse the 1950's countertops and the coffee stain, spilled the crap moving the pot for the tank, lol.

IMG_8053.jpg

IMG_8054.jpg

IMG_8055.jpg

IMG_8056.jpg

The heater will be moved to the AC70 when I get it, I will also decide whether or not the k nano will stay.

IMG_8057.jpg

That's it for now, I can't get to the LFS til Tuesday (closed on Monday) but I might move some of my rock in there this weekend.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome, I have been wanting to see how a k nano would do in there. Make sure to let us know how it works out for you. My wife is a teacher too but her school wont let them have even a goldfish. I think a reef tank would be a great science tool in the classroom. You should totally do it.

Awesome bro, welcome to the club.

Thanks, been wanting this for a while, now she can reef too :)

:happydance:

:)

Awesome, I have been wanting to see how a k nano would do in there. Make sure to let us know how it works out for you. My wife is a teacher too but her school wont let them have even a goldfish. I think a reef tank would be a great science tool in the classroom. You should totally do it.

Yeah, it moves some sand around but once the rocks are in I think it will work ok. Looks better than a regular pump in the tank. The biggest problem she is going to have is keeping the brats from putting crap in it.

This should be fun. Is this the smallest tank that you've ever attempted?

Sort of. Kept a 1g tank but never added corals. Had a very small damsel and hermit but I quickly realized it was too small and ditched it. I had never seen a picotope except in pictures and I have to say I'm very impressed with the dimensions and looks. Probably going minimalist with the LR and focus on corals.

Kn Is perfect for the picotope IMO ! Ftw!

104_1942.jpg

Wow, is that yours Smitty? That is nice, and a really high water level, lol.

If I didn't have it that high I would have to chop up that digitata. It's actually bigger this is an older pic !

Where's the build thread?

Where's the build thread?

Mew , I'm Lazy as fawk when it comes to my tank threads ! :lol: Back to your tank . What are you planning on stocking in that bad boy ?

Mew , I'm Lazy as fawk when it comes to my tank threads ! :lol: Back to your tank . What are you planning on stocking in that bad boy ?

haha swift subject change :lol:

haha swift subject change :lol:

I'm not here to represent my shizz ! This is ty's thread ! just proving long term use of kn in picotope ! Now whats the palns Ty?

Well, I'm sure there will be some impulse buys from the wife but I have a large rock covered in rics that doesnt like my MH lights that will probably go in there.

IMG_7394.jpg

I've also got some palys that don't like my 40 breeder that I'll try in there also.

IMG_7403.jpg

Other than that we will probably stick to mushrooms, rics, some gsp maybe, and possibly a few mininems if I can get ahold of some. We'll just have to wait and see, lol.

ty those rics look like yumas, nice btw

I have no idea, lol. Bought it as a "ricordea rock" for $40 and had like 18-19 on there.

Man thats an awesome deal, that rock is probably worth 5-6 times more at least.

Lulz. For once I'm not the one who gets screwed at the LFS.

thats it, i'm setting mine up today! lol

Finally

Welcome to the Picotope Family =P

Thanks, better late than never right?

Archived