inTank Media Baskets

Gulf's little 5g shroom box!

gulfsurfer101

gulfsurfer101

I'm looking for shrooms to try the shroom in a blender idea. Problem with shrooms is their way overpriced at my LFS. 15 a head doesn't really sound fair to me. I will start a thread and post eveybody who sends somehting in for return of shrooms at a later time. I'm basically looking for people who have the same interest and want to double up on shroomies. I will set up a small 5g hex dedicated for this project and will start with some of my own reds. I'm looking for variety and whoever is willing to participate will get a mix of everything that is going in there so you can expand your shroom base. I have about five of these I can start of with. The more people that throw in the more shrooms variations there will be to spread around.

coralsNjerak019.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gulfsurfer101

How is it a bad idea? I'm gonna do it with my own regardless of hits or not. It would just be nice to get some color thrown in there not just hundreds of little red mushrooms. It's not like I'm gonna keep them and dissapear. I've been on this site a while and don't plan on going nowhere anytime soon.

How is it a bad idea? I'm gonna do it with my own regardless of hits or not. It would just be nice to get some color thrown in there not just hundreds of little red mushrooms. It's not like I'm gonna keep them and dissapear. I've been on this site a while and don't plan on going nowhere anytime soon.

I have a couple extra shrooms...what exactly IS the blender idea?

I have a couple extra shrooms...what exactly IS the blender idea?

Put shrooms in a blender, mix em' up into a shroomy paste, and drop the sludge into the tank.

Put shrooms in a blender, mix em' up into a shroomy paste, and drop the sludge into the tank.

Has it ever worked for anyone before?

gulfsurfer101

This is it. I've seen it discussed here before but never seen the end result. I read till where it started to look succesfull and then the trhead just died. I can't find it but I know it exists. I'm basically gonna try the same thing when I get my loralia in the mail and just rund the hex with no type of filtration other than a few peices of LR so they don't sucked up into a filter never to be seen again. Thinking water changes weekly with heavy feeding should be right to grow shrooms along with about 42w of PC lighing over it and natural sunlight. Things shouldn't take long to start to show up.

gulfsurfer101

I'm gonna set this tank up tonight when I go and pick up some live sand and water out of my existing set ups. I just don't know if I want to run black sand or multicolored white and pink. I have both in differnt tanks. The pink and whit is ultra live though since you can watch it move around with all kinds of things in it. Not shure if that so good for what I'm trying to do though. I would hate my little shroomies to get eaten by snails and things.

its not going to work... give it up.

thats such a bad idea. message me and show me where you heard this will work.

from your 25 posts I'm pretty shure you have the expeirence or knowledge of this destined to fail project. I know it will be sussesful and you can try to do your own search since I am doing my own research.

you are RETARDED, just bc i have 25 posts means i have just started doing this?? i have been around salt water my entire life with my family and friends tanks... not to mention a marine biology major. so dont tell me ANYTHING.

i just found this website.

JOKEEE

Needreefunds

I remember that thread LOL.

As I recall most peeps were unsuccessful, for various reasons.

Some felt they made a 'shroom puree when they should have just given them a quick chop.

I think in the end they thought they would have done better with the good ol razor blade.

Good luck if you do give this a go Surfer!

:)

http://www.usc.edu/CSSF/Current/Projects/S2006.pdf

Would that mean only the actual pieces with a portion of the mouth would grow?

I don't think its just the mouth, because whenever I have a shroom "walk" away from its rock (or if I cut it off the rock), the part of the "foot" thats left will regrow into a shroom or 2 or 3.

I remember doing alot of research about this in the past and I think alot of people had problems just because they either had too much circulation, puree'd the shrooms too tiny, or didn't have anything to remove any of the dead and decaying matter (like ChemiPure Elite), because you know some of them are going to die immediately, and I think if you had a refugium connected to this (AquaClear even) that the macroalgae could benefit off of all those excess nutrients, of course whatever you used would have to have a sponge over the intake that would have to be cleaned regularly.

And god damnit Nate_J, how about you stay out of topics if you don't have anything creative to input! It's fine if you don't agree with what other people are saying but just telling someone that they are going to fail without backing up your reasoning is a very ignorant thing.

gulfsurfer101
you are RETARDED, just bc i have 25 posts means i have just started doing this?? i have been around salt water my entire life with my family and friends tanks... not to mention a marine biology major. so dont tell me ANYTHING.

JOKEEE

Dude, stop posting on my thread. I didn't ask for your SW resume and I don't care. All I'm saying is do your research before you try and gun soembody down. I'm still reading on this other link and have PM'd those that tried it and am waiting to get feedback of what thye did, what would they do if they tried it again and things like that. I'm not out there just calling people retards with out backing my theories cause that waould be retarted.

I don't think its just the mouth, because whenever I have a shroom "walk" away from its rock (or if I cut it off the rock), the part of the "foot" thats left will regrow into a shroom or 2 or 3.

I remember doing alot of research about this in the past and I think alot of people had problems just because they either had too much circulation, puree'd the shrooms too tiny, or didn't have anything to remove any of the dead and decaying matter (like ChemiPure Elite), because you know some of them are going to die immediately, and I think if you had a refugium connected to this (AquaClear even) that the macroalgae could benefit off of all those excess nutrients, of course whatever you used would have to have a sponge over the intake that would have to be cleaned regularly.

And god damnit Nate_J, how about you stay out of topics if you don't have anything creative to input! It's fine if you don't agree with what other people are saying but just telling someone that they are going to fail without backing up your reasoning is a very ignorant thing.

I thought the same thing about making a shroom slush. I will try to blend lightly keep flow to a minimal and post pics along the way. We'll just see how retarded I am in about two months when I'm pretty shure I will have ample shrooms. Not that I'm a big shroom fan just got the stuff do do it lying around and the means to keep it going.

I remember that thread LOL.

As I recall most peeps were unsuccessful, for various reasons.

Some felt they made a 'shroom puree when they should have just given them a quick chop.

I think in the end they thought they would have done better with the good ol razor blade.

Good luck if you do give this a go Surfer!

:)

No harm in doing both. I might have to set this 5g hex to a toms deco I have lying around and plumb them together. I will do one shroom shake method and the other will be the tried and tested razor blade method. I guess I will wait and start this tank up till after I get it all plumbed together which shouldn't take more than about an hour or two.

Like I said before, bad idea... The end results of the mushrooms will be so retarded looking it wont be worth it. It seems like you're just trying to rush the process of them spreading. If you REALLY cant wait that long you need to invest in a microscope, a exacto knife and some crafty hands... At least then you can frag one mushroom 8-32 times while keeping a piece of the head on each fragment. Blending the mushrooms is only going to result is busted ass pieces that dont know which way to grow.....

JOKEEE

Didn't mean to post

gulfsurfer101

Just got through reading all eight pages I think it was and lookd like nobody had succes. Like I stated above I'm gonna go through with it and try both methods. I am going to start working on getting my tanks plumbed together now since I'm pretty bored of sitting around already. Pics and a new build thread will be up soon.

seriously. there could have been a reason why that thread failed, because it failed. from propagating shrooms and reading about it you need the mouth of them, even the slightest bit. now grinding it up into little bitty chunks will probably make it hard for the algae to produce food for the actual mushroom. plus it is just a big sludge ball that will spread throughout the tank and when all if dies off you'll have one long cycle. There are so many variables some you can only minimize. my vote=fail.

oh and no shrooms for you. :P

oh and post count usually means something and there are those few cases in which it doesn't. i think nateJ was perfectly honest in his opinion and he was 'insulted' first. just drop it, the fighting that is. :slap:

I'm very interested in this(as you can see) so I'll send you a couple of my shrooms. I could see everyone posting negative stuff if you were grinding up an acan lord or something...but I think mushrooms are pretty expendable.

I just checked the tank and I can send you a blue, a tonga, a small solid red, and a wierd one with a purpleish background-green stripes-blue dots.

Why not just take a sharp knife and chop them up? Seems to me that the dull edge of the blender blade will do more harm than good.

In any case I wish you luck and will be following along.

:happydance:

gulfsurfer101
seriously. there could have been a reason why that thread failed, because it failed. from propagating shrooms and reading about it you need the mouth of them, even the slightest bit. now grinding it up into little bitty chunks will probably make it hard for the algae to produce food for the actual mushroom. plus it is just a big sludge ball that will spread throughout the tank and when all if dies off you'll have one long cycle. There are so many variables some you can only minimize. my vote=fail.

oh and no shrooms for you. :P

oh and post count usually means something and there are those few cases in which it doesn't. i think nateJ was perfectly honest in his opinion and he was 'insulted' first. just drop it, the fighting that is. :slap:

I'm getting this tank started with out your shrooms. I'll be posting pics of the whole proccess from beginning to wherever I get. I just got a simple overflow built right now that will sit directly on the back of this the hex and am waiting for the weld on to cure before going any further.

good luck with your sludge o'shroom experiment.

can i have my mushroom sludge shaken, not stirred?

well do post pics it should be interesting either way. :D

Archived