Top Shelf Aquatics

DIY 24 x 24 x 20 tank (glass from Nano paul)

tperkins

Hey guys I don't post a lot here but I just wanted to to show you my 1st attempt at building my own tank especially because someone from here provided me with the glass.

I 1st want to say that nano Paul is great to deal with. communication was great shipping was fabulous the entire transaction couldn't have gone better IMO.

I am afraid a coomputer crash made me lose the original pictures of the packaging the glass originally arrived in so we took some more.

SO without further ado here are the pics

Unpacking and inspecting the glass.

unpacking.jpg

Gathering the stuff

stuff.jpg

cleaning off the work bench

workbench.jpg

Dowls to keep the bottom raised up 1/4 inch.

dowelsunderbottom.jpg

Cleaning the sides with acetone.

cleaningtheedges.jpg

Labels so we dont mess up and put a side where it's not supposed to go.

labels.jpg

Ready ot put the fornt piece of glass on

readyforthefront.jpg

Checking to make sure it's still squared up

isitsquare.jpg

Clamps in place for a tight fit

clampedandtaped.jpg

This glass is so clear it's awesome.

lookhowclear.jpg

Putting on some silicone

caulkitup.jpg

Smoothing out the edges

secretweapon.jpg

secretweapon2.jpg

The plastic spoon made the corners nice and smooth. So now it's curing up and well clean up all the excess silicone in a few days. The edges of the glass are all nicely beveled and we will be putting some nice silicone in the bevels on the outside for a nice clean look.

I'll post some more pics when we start working on it some more

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as a fyi, the first run (for support doesn't need to be perfect). The second run will blend in perfectly. Im about to post my second nanopaul tank as well. I wish I had the fancy (reads expensive) clamps you did. I ghettoed my tank =(

as a fyi, the first run (for support doesn't need to be perfect). The second run will blend in perfectly. Im about to post my second nanopaul tank as well. I wish I had the fancy (reads expensive) clamps you did. I ghettoed my tank =(

I kinda liked the ghetto fabulous way you built yours :lol:

Oceanic 30g

You guys are killing me! I went from wanting an all in one to thinking the only way to go is total DIY.

This looks good so far.

I may have missed it...What kind of glass is that?

You guys are killing me! I went from wanting an all in one to thinking the only way to go is total DIY.

This looks good so far.

I may have missed it...What kind of glass is that?

Thanks for the kind words, the glass is Nano Paul special glass. 3 sides low iron.

The tank wont really be totally braceless because I am having a custom calfo overflow made for it. once that is siliconed in nice and tight it should provide even more support. and even so I am not worried, people make much bigger rimless braceless tanks than this and have no problems.

Those clamps belong to my friend who helped me build the tank. I certainly couldn't afford them. He does alot of carpentry work. We still used some tape!

Looking forward to seeing your second tank as well.

Just so you know, that dow 999 silicone is extremely strong. I watched a video where they glued the bumpers together on 2 Ford F-150's and they couldnt drive them apart. It will hold.

Just out of curiousity, where did you get it?

Just so you know, that dow 999 silicone is extremely strong. I watched a video where they glued the bumpers together on 2 Ford F-150's and they couldnt drive them apart. It will hold.

Just out of curiousity, where did you get it?

I ordered it from http://www.technologylk.com/product_view.a...product_ID=7823

got it really fast.

I read about it on RC and decided I would order it. I would love to show that video to my GF to make her feel better about the tank. shes worried about flooding lol.

Nice work and excellent dimensions! You're killing me, I want to make this tank so bad I can taste it!

Would you mind giving us a running total on the costs?

Nice work and excellent dimensions! You're killing me, I want to make this tank so bad I can taste it!

Would you mind giving us a running total on the costs?

Vic are you looking a total cost for my entire project? or just whats posted so far?

I have just about everything for the tank except some of the plumbing supplies, and I am waiting for a local acrylic shop to let me know my acrylic is cut and waiting to be picked up for my sump.

Coralife 24' Aqua light pro

ASM G2 skimmer

Quietone 3000 return pump

Tunze 6100 with controller

phosban reactor with mini 404 pump

25 watt UV steralizer

Tunze Osmolator

Will be purchasing a used Calcium reactor this weekend.

I was showing the pictures to my coworker and he pointed out something I had not even noticed myself

caulkitup.jpg

In this picture I am standing in front of the front piece of glass. you can't even tell it's there.

Tim

To save you some time and a lot of razorblades you might want to tape out the side seams. It only takes 5 mins, take it off right after you smooth the silicone bead and voila prefect straight silicone lines.

man, first I saw supernip's build and thought about it. Now this one is edging me closer to taking the plunge. :)

Beautiful tank so far. I'd love to see how the Calfo overflow works in this application. I think I've seen one that had the back wall an inch shorter than the others, and the overflow box was built onto the back side. Is yours going to be HOB?

btw, I subscribed to this topic, so you better keep pictures coming. :D

man, first I saw supernip's build and thought about it. Now this one is edging me closer to taking the plunge. :)

Beautiful tank so far. I'd love to see how the Calfo overflow works in this application. I think I've seen one that had the back wall an inch shorter than the others, and the overflow box was built onto the back side. Is yours going to be HOB?

btw, I subscribed to this topic, so you better keep pictures coming. :D

I promise to keep the pics coming as I work on the tank. I hope to have water in it in a couple weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
I promise to keep the pics coming as I work on the tank. I hope to have water in it in a couple weeks.

Okay after a slight delay, my overflow glass just came in. Plan is to drill the tank and silicone in the overflow tonight. I'll post more pics later tonight.

Okay after a slight delay, my overflow glass just came in. Plan is to drill the tank and silicone in the overflow tonight. I'll post more pics later tonight.

Awesome...Cant wait to see pics!!!

I'm planning on building an aquarium and have been researching silicone. I did a google search on Dow Corning 999 and according to Colorado Steel Sash Company, 999 is not to be used in applications involving "prolonged submersion in water (i.e., marine or aquarium applications)." It doesn't say why, but since it said explicitly don't use it for aquariums, I thought I'd share before you got too far along in the project.

Reefaholic
I'm planning on building an aquarium and have been researching silicone. I did a google search on Dow Corning 999 and according to Colorado Steel Sash Company, 999 is not to be used in applications involving "prolonged submersion in water (i.e., marine or aquarium applications)." It doesn't say why, but since it said explicitly don't use it for aquariums, I thought I'd share before you got too far along in the project.

I came across the same thing while researching it. I ordered some starphire from nano-paul for a 75 gallon I'm building. For peace of mind, I'll be using the AGA silicone aquarium sealant since I KNOW that it will work in aquarium applications long term.

And BTW, nice looking tank. Can't wait to get started on mine.

becareful, the AGA silicon does not stick that well, especially for large tanks.

GE makes a industrial strength silicon a'ok for aquarium use.

I came across the same thing while researching it. I ordered some starphire from nano-paul for a 75 gallon I'm building. For peace of mind, I'll be using the AGA silicone aquarium sealant since I KNOW that it will work in aquarium applications long term.

And BTW, nice looking tank. Can't wait to get started on mine.

I have not been able to find any dow silicone that the data sheet did not say not recommended for prolonged Immersion.

Maeda, Do you have more information on that particular silicone?

I have E-mailed Dow Corning to see what they say.

Archived