Top Shelf Aquatics

You'll be reading about this algae additive in the blogs soon

brandon429

to prevent a pie in the sky initial effect im watching intently for any type of habituation where dose strength X wouldn't affect a target any longer, in one of these test tanks using Vibrant for a good year or so, and how long it has to be dosed after the initial kill to maintain that condition provided all quarantining was reinstated to prevent outside vectoring. im curious if this is a suppressant or a kill

even if they get some growback its still amazing for the initial kill abilities and the collateral loss control abilities. they are stating no known sensitives

I have a variety of soft, lps, sps, snails, shrimp, tangs clowns etc...and all have been healthy, its just the bryopsis went nuts and I've had never ending aiptasia that I kill over and over and a few weeks later little sprouts show up, kill them and they still keep coming back.

I'll see what changes, but I am out of hope at this point and willing to take the shot at it.

• Like 1

I have a variety of soft, lps, sps, snails, shrimp, tangs clowns etc...and all have been healthy, its just the bryopsis went nuts and I've had never ending aiptasia that I kill over and over and a few weeks later little sprouts show up, kill them and they still keep coming back.

I'll see what changes, but I am out of hope at this point and willing to take the shot at it.

I dont believe it is advertised to work on aptasia, then it would kill your anemones :(

Maybe you aren't actually killing the aiptasia. If they close up and shrink before they get squirted, they often reappear after a few days.

Havecyou tried aiptasia x. I've used that and needed no more than 2 squirts to get rid of them

aiptasias aren't always killed by water actions considering the headache they can become with incomplete tissue kills. When an irritant kills the primary polyp the remaining cells are viable

the rasping technique will cure them for sure, it removes all the mass from the tank via direct action leaving no way to rebound. I had one in the middle of a blasto metletti colony and it only took a metal dental pic from the grocery store to rid the tank of aiptasia in one pass. Scrape and rinse in sw

Common approach is dose the water or inject them with an irritant. Same for algae, we tend to only take action on the water.

As the top polyp dies off, pedal tissue remains and sprouts but a dental pick scraped into the rock the anemone was adhered to took out some rock flakes and the entire target in one pass. Treat anchored live rock invasions like a case of dental plaque and you'll win every time. This way requires lifting the rock area out of the tank, direct action...opposite means opposite outcome.

If this additive can save someone from having to manually debride surfaces to control benthic growths then kudos to the arranger of materials that's amazing. With no collateral loss patterns I remain impressed

• Like 1

Its anyones guess so far, UWC will have to comment. it is an unknown mechanism so far w amazing results. that thread is building massively at R2R.

He just updated no skimmer needed

Ive dosed twiced and the water is significantly more clear, not that it wasn't clear before. Also, no new algae growth and the pesky stuff between my zoas seems to be reducing. Still only been using it for a week but bery promising so far

What I find intriguing is any pattern and they are 98% good reports among 39 pages so far

Not any collateral loss patterns showing. I wanted to press against the claims early on but the pages grew

What I find intriguing is any pattern and they are 98% good reports among 39 pages so far

Not any collateral loss patterns showing. I wanted to press against the claims early on but the pages grew

i also find it intriguing as I'm am approaching week 3 and GHA actually seems to be getting worse :huh:
  • Like 2

I can personally guarantee I'll never need this product in a nano but that 39 pages has quite the momentum for large tankers needing catch up

I saw another post in that thread Sancho of no seeming fix, but the bryopsis and Dino watchers seem to be doing well and the bryopsis was the one I was most skeptical about

Brandon, I suppose I should just read those 39 pages; but maybe you can tell me. Based on the ingredients, I assume that bacteria is primarily responsible for the results. Is the bacteria just out competing the algae by utilizing the available nutrients and breaking down dead organic material? I can't imagine that it's attacking live algae cells.

• Like 3

I've been following on R2R and bit this morning. I have standard GHA that has withstood everything I throw at it. I already dose vinegar but would like to cultivate the right bacteria.

Anyone know if it would be better to set it and forget it on a Doser or to do a larger dose 1x to 2x a week?

Vacuum Sand bed. Keep sump area detritus free. Do regular water changes (25% weekly). You won't have issues...

Also, if your base rock wasn't cured, it would be holding a ton of phosphate. Just a thought.

Been doing this for 12 years now. Seen a ton of miracle cures come and go. Nothing pays off like planning (start with good rock) and being vigilant about maintenance.

Just my $0.02

• Like 2

if I owned that doser V, id have the bac claim as a copy diversion so that we could steer away from the other ingredients breakdown. it would be spy level disinformation lol

might not even state whats in the other ingredients part correctly if that was the action part of the mix... non FDA bottle who cares what someone labels

web posters ate the eco aqualizer alive within a week. the masses aren't easily tricked and they could be a peroxide killer

:)

I cant guess at all how they get the targeted kills and decent no collateral loss reporting across all shrimps etc....

whatever it is, its coming on the heels of the probiotics and algaecide industries from the last three decades im surprised arrangement V hasn't already been found before.

Id never need it because of pre cleaning/hand guiding but for catch up runs it looks like its working mostly

i also find it intriguing as I'm am approaching week 3 and GHA actually seems to be getting worse :huh:

I had the same issue, but now some of it is turning gray or white and coming off easier. Not enough to declare a victory, but getting slightly better. However that same tank I haven't cleaned the glass or my MP40 once since I started using it and I had to clean the glass daily and the MP40 weekly before.

I started dosing a few days ago. I think Tuesday. I am battling Cyano and Hair Algae (dark, not green). I must say that in 1 day the Cyano has not made as much coverage on the sand bed. After 2 days I feel like the hair algae is easier to turkey baste. The water while very clear before is crystal clear. I am excited to see the effects on the glass film algae.

I am testing in my zoa tank now before trying in my mixed reef. So far none of my snails have died from what I can see.

Sometimes we only see what we want though and I went into this believing it was snake oil... we shall see!

Vacuum Sand bed. Keep sump area detritus free. Do regular water changes (25% weekly). You won't have issues...

Also, if your base rock wasn't cured, it would be holding a ton of phosphate. Just a thought.

Been doing this for 12 years now. Seen a ton of miracle cures come and go. Nothing pays off like planning (start with good rock) and being vigilant about maintenance.

Just my $0.02

FYI I agree with you. What is frustrating is once the rocks soak in all the nutrients it takes forever to leech it out. Even though the water column shows undetectable PO4 & NO3. I have been doing 25% weekly water changes for as long as I can remember, feeding light and running an over-sized skimmer. I run ROX and ROWA to reduce PO4 and Silicates as well as pull toxins and heavy metals from the water. I vacuum the sand twice a month and turkey baste the rocks and stir the sand daily. I manually remove as much algae as I can daily - maybe 30 min a day spent on that alone. This tank is over 2 years old. Hair algae is THE DEVIL! For $30 I will try Vibrant and keep my fingers crossed!

• Like 5

I've mentioned my cyano problem before....being OCD, I can't abide any at all...and the MP40 always collects the green slimy after a couple days so I am constantly cleaning that too. Scrape the glass twice daily and the exposed rock with a pipe cleaner brush and WC every 10 days. Dose Red Sea PO3/4, Rowaphos and matrix in the filter along with the skimmer and constantly suck up small coral rubble that collects the cyano and GHA. So I bit....will keep you posted.

• Like 2

So I've had little to no success with this stuff. In fact GHA is getting worse. Just wondering if UV sterilizer might have any affect on this magical bacteria?

Brandon, I suppose I should just read those 39 pages; but maybe you can tell me. Based on the ingredients, I assume that bacteria is primarily responsible for the results. Is the bacteria just out competing the algae by utilizing the available nutrients and breaking down dead organic material? I can't imagine that it's attacking live algae cells.

Seabass, for what it's worth, they claim it has two varieties of bacteria, one that's similar to Dr Tim's or MB7, and a second one that supposedly attacks the algae itself. That's what's supposed to be new about this stuff. Like Brandon said, it sure sounds like hocus pocus but a lot of normally unbiased reefers are reporting success.

The did post an interesting table showing how many doses it typically takes to knock out different types of algae, ranging from 1-2 doses from some, and way more for others, it's all on the first page of the thread.

Cloudy/hazy Water- 1 dose
Diatoms - 1-2 doses
Cyanobacteria - (Yes, it will outcompete another bacteria) 1-5 doses
Dinoflagellates - 2-5 doses
Bubble algae - 3-8 doses
Hair Algae - 3-5 doses (depending on species of hair and how bad the infestation is)
Turf Algae - 8-20 doses ( again, depending on species and how bad the infestation is)
Bryopsis - 6-30 doses ( again, depending on species and how bad the infestation is)
It hasn't done much for my gha in my 10g tank, assuming that's what I have, after two weeks of bi-weekly dosing.
But on the other hand, I've been getting daily diatoms like clockwork in my 40g tank. I put in a dose last night and the sand was completely clean today. So it did something. I think.
  • Like 4