Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kimber's tank is getting swapped!

kimberbee

jedimasterben

I've got extras. I'll add some this weekend as well as placing my power strips and deciding on where to put the shelf/divider.

But... but... don't most people put all their electronics in the stand? I hope there will be no moisture inside the stand. Drip loops and most cords will be wound up outside and behind the stand. Only plugs and as little cables as possible will be in the actual stand.

If the stand will be even only mostly enclosed, it will be very humid inside it unless you have fans blowing in and exhaust vents for it to go out to.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the stand will be even only mostly enclosed, it will be very humid inside it unless you have fans blowing in and exhaust vents for it to go out to.

I actually am planning on fans and vents.

Supporting the weight using only the screws' shear strength makes me uneasy. Id move your existing legs such that they are between the bottom and top frame. That way all the weight is on the 2x4s.

Supporting the weight using only the screws' shear strength makes me uneasy. Id move your existing legs such that they are between the bottom and top frame. That way all the weight is on the 2x4s.

Ah, I see what you are saying. I'll add more supports this weekend.

Wait I thought you were going AIO? Something about a litter box in you stand. If your tank is AIO fill that stand up with your electronics

Ahh... yes... that's where I got confused and maybe Jedi didn't realize.

Ah, I see what you are saying. I'll add more supports this weekend.

It's not necessarily more support; the number of 2x4s you have now is enough. I think you could change the placement of them in order to utilize the compressive force strength of the wood so you don't have to rely on the screws to hold up your tank. Here's how I did it:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/328648-mojados-40-breeder-build-now-wfts/?p=4402702

• 4 weeks later...

IM40 incoming!! Happy Black Friday present from the BF!! :wub:

(he ordered it for me, and insisted on paying, while I was out of country)

IM40 incoming!! Happy Black Friday present from the BF!! :wub:

(he ordered it for me, and insisted on paying, while I was out of country)

That's a great present........But how does it fit the stand ?

Hell wish my wife would get me a Red Sea Reefer..........not going to happen :rolleyes:

That's a great present........But how does it fit the stand ?

Hell wish my wife would get me a Red Sea Reefer..........not going to happen :rolleyes:

Tank is 24x20, stand is 25x25. It'll fit with room to spare!

So my tank will either be ready for pickup at the UPS facility today or Thursday. Or maybe they will still try to deliver to my apartment...

SMH!!

So my tank will either be ready for pickup at the UPS facility today or Thursday. Or maybe they will still try to deliver to my apartment...

SMH!!

I would go pick it up if you can. This time of year those UPS drivers are slammed and well who knows what they might do with the tank :lol:

I would go pick it up if you can. This time of year those UPS drivers are slammed and well who knows what they might do with the tank :lol:

Oh, I want to pick it up! It's an 80lb tank and I'm sure the driver would rather not deal with it!

I signed up online for UPS My Choice and tried to request it be held at the facility. It didn't work so I called in and asked a real life person for it to be held. She told me it would be at the facility for pickup Thursday. Then this morning I got an email that my package will be delivered today. Who knows... I'm just hoping that it arrives in one piece!!

Yeah this time of year not sure any off them know what is going on.....

I did the same with my last tank just had it held at the freight area and picked it up.

Good luck with it! IM packs there stuff real well so should be ok

I'm pretty excited.

I really gotta get going on my stand.

Need to add the middle shelf - this requires a trip to Menards for some shelf wood.

Need to skin the sides - more wood... :naughtydance:

Need to paint - I'm thinking of copying Gena and going to an aqua/green color.

Need a top!!

TANK TANK TANK!! :happydance:

The box it came in was HUGE and full of packing peanuts. IT almost didn't fit in Nick's Jeep!

Leak checking since Saturday night...

23120301934_0d071320be_z.jpg

(Filled with cold water from the hose, that's why the tank is covered in condensation)

I'm wondering how to make water for this monster, advice and tips welcome. I've got 3 months to figure this out.

I was thinking of making the initial HUGE batch of water at my apartment (cause I don't pay for water) and bringing the RO/DI over to my BF's house. I figure I could make 25-30 gallons of water, mix the salt in the tank, bring over rocks and corals with some old tank water, and hope for a minimal cycle.

The big question is: Do I need to fill the tank all the way right away? If so, I may need to buy more containers - I have two 5 gallon jugs I use now. Or can I just stick a power head in the tank to circulate the saltwater for a few weeks while I make enough water? I think I can make maybe 5-10 gallons a week, and I assume I don't want RO/DO sitting in an open top aquarium for a few weeks.

Following! Could you get a big Rubbermaid trash can to store the water? The two things you really need is to use a powerhead and keep it covered to minimize evaporation.

You made the right choice picking it up. A lot of the guys loading the trucks have never done this work before and have no idea what they are doing. They are just loading the trucks as fast as they can. I run 2 bulk trucks and the loads today were completely ####ed. Not gonna say anything bad about UPS they gave me a job....But I would think twice about have an aquarium shipped right now.

Is this tank going to be set up at the BF's house? Does he have a garage? If yes I would get a Rubbermaid Brute 32 or 44 with lid and and a cheap return pump to circulate the water and pump water out, Since you live in Illinois a heater would also be a good investment.

Is this tank going to be set up at the BF's house? Does he have a garage? If yes I would get a Rubbermaid Brute 32 or 44 with lid and and a cheap return pump to circulate the water and pump water out, Since you live in Illinois a heater would also be a good investment.

Yup, going in his spare room. After Christmas the room will be empty, so I don't need to take up parking space in his one car garage. I think a brute is the way to go!

Yup, going in his spare room. After Christmas the room will be empty, so I don't need to take up parking space in his one car garage. I think a brute is the way to go!

So instead of leaving your toothbrush at his place, you left a tank =P.

Archived