ReefCleaners.org

Spencer's College Tank

Spencer7

Hey, have you guys had any experience with bacteria blooms?

My tank is cycling (six days old) and I'm using Red Sea's Reef Mature kit. I have been having random spurts where the tank gets cloudy for a few hours and then goes crystal clear for a while. These cycles alternate with no correlation with the heater, the lights, or the dosing I'm doing. It's not fine sediment either and the it wouldn't be the rock leaching or anything because of the way it cycles (also the rock is clean).

Possible that the tank's bacteria is simply experiencing population booms and fades lol? I'm not really worried but I thought it was interesting, never have seen it before in a cycling tank.

Peace :)

......... :happydance:........

:lol:

Have you used the maturing kit before or is this the first time ? Probably is just the bacteria bloomage like you said. I personally would worry about it either. My pico does the same thing. But it'll be cloudy for a day or two and then crystal clear like I've never seen it before. It's really weird.

• Like 1

Hey, have you guys had any experience with bacteria blooms?

My tank is cycling (six days old) and I'm using Red Sea's Reef Mature kit. I have been having random spurts where the tank gets cloudy for a few hours and then goes crystal clear for a while. These cycles alternate with no correlation with the heater, the lights, or the dosing I'm doing. It's not fine sediment either and the it wouldn't be the rock leaching or anything because of the way it cycles (also the rock is clean).

Possible that the tank's bacteria is simply experiencing population booms and fades lol? I'm not really worried but I thought it was interesting, never have seen it before in a cycling tank.

Peace :)

:lol:

Let's see, I've had cases of bacterial blooms in a new tank yes. Does the cloudiness happen after a certain maintenance you do? or some type of additive? I've not dosed the Mature Kit... but most the time the flocks of bacteria is due from too much dosing of a particular product. I am currently using NoPox, and the first day I used it, I had a white film on my glass indicating I dosed too much. I reduced dose by 50% and the film had not came back, BUT if I dont change my filter sock every day, I get a slime coating in it and water will not pass through, literally it will just overflow rather than pass through. Can use it as a flippin' cup...

• Like 1

Let's see, I've had cases of bacterial blooms in a new tank yes. Does the cloudiness happen after a certain maintenance you do? or some type of additive? I've not dosed the Mature Kit... but most the time the flocks of bacteria is due from too much dosing of a particular product. I am currently using NoPox, and the first day I used it, I had a white film on my glass indicating I dosed too much. I reduced dose by 50% and the film had not came back, BUT if I dont change my filter sock every day, I get a slime coating in it and water will not pass through, literally it will just overflow rather than pass through. Can use it as a flippin' cup...

No, the clouding is non-specific. I haven't had any film either. :o flip cup? xD

Have you used the maturing kit before or is this the first time ? Probably is just the bacteria bloomage like you said. I personally would worry about it either. My pico does the same thing. But it'll be cloudy for a day or two and then crystal clear like I've never seen it before. It's really weird.

This is my first time. Yea, it's fricking weird, the tank just clouds up like crazy and then settles and gets crystal clear. I'm going to keep observing it for patterns...I hope it's bacteria :) it would cool to know that this little guy already has so much. I'm going to do a small WC tomorrow and I'll check out the canister filter (where all the biological media is) and swap out the floss.

1) Precipitation

2) Bacterial flock

3) Stirred sandbed???

Those are my guesses.

In all my SW cycling periods i'd never had water cloudy like such through a cycle other than what's listed above.

• Like 1

I'm pretty confident it's something bacterial, still curious about what's actually going on in there though *reaches for microscope*

I trust your judgement, take a picture next time it happens.

• Like 1

Wow, I can only speak from my experience but i've never had that happen during a cycle. I've only cycled from dry rock once, and live rock once. Each tank I continue to use my live rock and have little-to-no cycle. It has to be that Red Sea maturity additive you're using that's establishing bacteria at a faster pace. Just odd that it comes and goes...

Wow, I can only speak from my experience but i've never had that happen during a cycle. I've only cycled from dry rock once, and live rock once. Each tank I continue to use my live rock and have little-to-no cycle. It has to be that Red Sea maturity additive you're using that's establishing bacteria at a faster pace. Just odd that it comes and goes...

Yea, it's fricking cool. I'm used to live rock traditionally and wanted to try dry rock for this tank. That said, I have used it for other tanks and never saw this.

Who knows lol? That bacteria could have a J-curve of population growth, hit carrying capacity, and plummet over the course of 6+ hours lol before it restarts.

Well since I'm bored lol :P cycling is lammeeee xD

Anyone wanna post some awesome 60-P reefs they know?

Nice little two island scape...just wish this tank's frags were able to growout more!

22089059488_2a006149e6.jpg

Same here...

22250768226_d23e40d908.jpg

• Like 1

Ordered new JBJ ATO and Aqualifter pump (need to be ready for Thanksgiving break).

2g water change, dosing red sea supplements as per instructions :)

I have a frag pack from Cultivated Reef on hold! 7 Frags :) Great customer service and prices as always, I'm sure the corals won't disappoint either!

What you can look forward to... :D

22401722111_569dfa72f3.jpg

KILLA YO !!! #2,3 & 6 looks awesome !!!

What salt are you going to be using ? Or just using petco' sore-mixed water ?

Petco water lol.

And yea, I'm excited for all of them. Got the Mille and Slimer for some fast growth and then overall I got good color variety: Pink, Blue, Green, Purple, and spotted lol. :)

I had tried their water and had bad luck with it. Could've been a old batch though. Hahaha I hear you,shit it's not even my tank and I'm stoked for those to in lol.

I had tried their water and had bad luck with it. Could've been a old batch though. Hahaha I hear you,shit it's not even my tank and I'm stoked for those to in lol.

We'll see! fingerscrossed

Got a new JBJ ATO and aqualifter. Also, changed the canister filter floss and gave it a rinse. It had a lot of very fine detritus from when I put in the sand. Sand has diatoms from cycling, just gave it a run through with my fingers lol. Bored...excited to see how corals do in this tank (also a little nervous ofc, you never know).

Tank is clean, sand bed has only a small dusting of diatoms here and there. Rock doesn't look much different, very little has really changed tbh! The bacteria blooms have stopped and I'm moving close to 3 weeks of cycling.

The wait for coral is agonizing, I just wanna try my first pieces and see if this tank is gonna be a winner early on...or if it's gonna take a good bit of work. Lights, filter, MP40, heater, etc. are all working smoothly.

I haven't tested the tank parameters once. There really isn't much of a point, I believe it to be healthy. It has just under another month to cycle for SPS anyway.

Well since I'm bored lol :P cycling is lammeeee xD

Anyone wanna post some awesome 60-P reefs they know?

Nice little two island scape...just wish this tank's frags were able to growout more!

22089059488_2a006149e6.jpg

Same here...

That's mine :). I went SPS crazy back then haha

• Like 1

Looking good so far. That MP40 can really blow all your sand out of the water lol. Can't wait to see what you do with it...my 60P will be ready soon for corals.

It sure can lol, but I'm not cranking it up that high lol :P

That's mine :). I went SPS crazy back then haha

Yea, I think I found it on the Zeovit forum as well. There aren't many SPS-based 60-P's to check out and use as reference. Did those frags ever really mature? I don't mean that negatively, I think you may have gone to a bigger tank. I just was disappointed that you filled the tank up but never really grew it out.

How would you dose the tank (keep in mind that I am not running a Zeolite reactor)?

I have:

BRS Part One and Two

Kent Tech-M

Sponge Power

AcroPower

Ultra Bak

Bio-Mate

Pohl's Xtra

Coral Vitalizer

Amino Acid LPS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...