Pod Your Reef

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

Cameron6796

That's a tough decision the clowns are poop machines but removing two fish may make your tank look lonely, I love firefighters for their swimming habit and I'm sure the Blenny is out of the question since he is new so it is up to you to decide if you can upgrade your filtration and clean up crew or which fish is most worth it

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh..... remember that 606 I ordered like... 3 weeks ago? It finally arrived.. they were mis-advertising the 606. They didn't actually have it in stock - great. So, I got tricked really..

This place called me shortly after telling me they've got an even smaller pump, yet still 145 output. Okay - great. Sounds good.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah... this thing isn't smaller. It's too big and doesn't fit. I'm not impressed :(

I don't think intank has any left... I checked a while ago and there where none in stock. The pump has been discontinued.

Also, Kijho I know it is written somewhere in your thread but I couldn't find it. What camera are you using to take photographs of your tank?

Have you looked into a Rio pump ?! They're available in about 10-15 different sizes.

That's what they sent me :( The smaller one, 145gph.. it's a tad too big unless I try shaving it down/ modifying it.. thoughts?

Another idea I had was possible taking apart the Koralia Hydor 240gph and shaving/ sanding down the blade edges to make each about 1mm smaller on each side. Might reduce output to a level that doesn't make torch's upset. LFS has a ton of beautiful torches in stock right now.. and other awesome corals. Just waiting to save a bit more money here before investing more..

Still in love with the Nuvo 20 but.. just way out of my budget at the moment.

I don't think intank has any left... I checked a while ago and there where none in stock. The pump has been discontinued.

Also, Kijho I know it is written somewhere in your thread but I couldn't find it. What camera are you using to take photographs of your tank?

Hey ! I'm using a Canon 70D body and primarily use two lenses... a 40mm 2.8 and a 50mm 1.8 :)

Oh my god.. for an entire year I've been siphoning with such a small tube. I didn't realize the LFS had larger "smaller" tubes....

Picked one up and used it to siphon some small bubble's that were forming on the glass. WOW. It sucked them up more powerful than my vacuum cleaner hahaha.....

So, I did a huge glass scrub down and just left the massive siphon running into a bigger bucket. 30% WC time :D :D :D

Then I took some old tank water and mixed in a small pallet with some reef roids and spot fed each coral with a turkey baster.

I've never seen corals respond so crazy before. The Ric's literally swelled up and mouth opened a huge gap!!!! Same with the Blasto!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a few new ricordia (yumas) this afternoon. Got these guys at $30 ea. from the LFS.. I couldn't believe it...

16738704914_30e3beb55e_c.jpgIMG_8588 by kijho6, on Flickr

This one was tricky to get a good shot of..

17335254016_f2b50bf2ac_c.jpgIMG_8590 by kijho6, on Flickr

Been spot feeding reef roids and everything is super happy with it. Zoas and blasto coral..

17335252896_32f542c82b_c.jpgIMG_8597 by kijho6, on Flickr

The one thing I hate about Ricordias is that sometimes they come from the LFS attached to rubble rock - and sometimes attached to nothing. When they're attached to nothing, it's harder to attach them to something. When they're attached to rubble rock, it's very difficult to get them apart. So, I just glued the rock directly onto the barnacle rock I have. Will cover it eventually and it will look super awesome :D

Kimosobey

Nice pick ups!!! Your tank is looking better and better every time I look at your build. Any tips on photography when it comes to taking pictures of your fish? Thanks!

Nice pick ups!!! Your tank is looking better and better every time I look at your build. Any tips on photography when it comes to taking pictures of your fish? Thanks!

Thanks, it's been quite a long time coming and alot of work haha..

Tips for photography would be using a camera that you can manually adjust shutter/ aperture. Aperture is less important, but shutter speed is what makes the difference. Fish are small - and fish are fast. Those two things don't go good with cameras that are slow! Slow camera + small fast fish = blurry images. The way you conquer this is by shooting FAST - Fast shutter speed, I'm usually up at 150th or 200th of a second for shots of my Blenny as he moves around very fast...

For the corals it's a bit easier, I use a tripod and a few different prime lenses: Canon 40mm and the 50mm 2.8.

:)

Also; Moved the one pinkish ricordia down to the sand. It was too big to sit up there sideways on that rock - it began stretching so I moved it down to the flat sandbed in fear of it tearing. Still should look nice.. none of the LFS's have ANY Acans as of lately...

Your tank is looking awesome kijho! The ricordea barnacle will be awesome!! I can't wait to see that! Glad to see your tank has recovered nicely and is now looking so good! :)

Your tank is looking awesome kijho! The ricordea barnacle will be awesome!! I can't wait to see that! Glad to see your tank has recovered nicely and is now looking so good! :)

Thanks my friend! :)

Argg... came home from work and the pump in my aquarium wasn't working. I checked the plug and it was plugged in.. so I unplugged it and plugged back in and it sputtered for a moment then completely dead...

So I ran to the LFS thinking I'll end up buying an entirely new Fluval Spec V and just taking the pump out.. because up here it would take 1+ weeks to ship a new replacement pump ordered online. When I got there I began talking to the girl and she showed me the Hydor' centrifugal that I know Ninja has I believe in his Spec V??

$T2eC16JHJGUFFh0+e+heBSDol14yeQ~~60_35.J

So - I pulled it out of the box and walked over to a Spec V they had on display and test-fit right there. INCREDIBLY SNUG. You have to put it in the chamber at an angle - corner to corner of the square space - and push it down gently to the bottom.

The tube fit perfectly and lined up exactly with the hole!!! So I went from a (1 year old) 80gph stock pump to this 100gph!!

It's the same sound level but has ALOT more flow it seems - so much more flow I had to put that little director/ nozzle back on the top to direct it a bit. AWESOME!! :D :D :D We'll see how things adjust and like the new pump..

Sadly - My big crab (emerald, but red? he's not an emerald yea?) decided to enjoy a gourmet $40 feast on my new Ricordia.

He has never eaten / touched a coral before.. but I guess the beautiful colors dazzled him :( I think he was actually picking food out from the mouth and that's what caused it to die :( :( :( RIP Ricordia. I'll get another soon from that one LFS ...

~ Cheers guys

thecoralbeauty

Argg... came home from work and the pump in my aquarium wasn't working. I checked the plug and it was plugged in.. so I unplugged it and plugged back in and it sputtered for a moment then completely dead...

So I ran to the LFS thinking I'll end up buying an entirely new Fluval Spec V and just taking the pump out.. because up here it would take 1+ weeks to ship a new replacement pump ordered online. When I got there I began talking to the girl and she showed me the Hydor' centrifugal that I know Ninja has I believe in his Spec V??

$T2eC16JHJGUFFh0+e+heBSDol14yeQ~~60_35.J

So - I pulled it out of the box and walked over to a Spec V they had on display and test-fit right there. INCREDIBLY SNUG. You have to put it in the chamber at an angle - corner to corner of the square space - and push it down gently to the bottom.

The tube fit perfectly and lined up exactly with the hole!!! So I went from a (1 year old) 80gph stock pump to this 100gph!!

It's the same sound level but has ALOT more flow it seems - so much more flow I had to put that little director/ nozzle back on the top to direct it a bit. AWESOME!! :D :D :D We'll see how things adjust and like the new pump..

Sadly - My big crab (emerald, but red? he's not an emerald yea?) decided to enjoy a gourmet $40 feast on my new Ricordia.

He has never eaten / touched a coral before.. but I guess the beautiful colors dazzled him :( I think he was actually picking food out from the mouth and that's what caused it to die :( :( :( RIP Ricordia. I'll get another soon from that one LFS ...

~ Cheers guys

There are red varieties of emerald crabs. Mine at my baby plate corals. I would suggest you get rid of the crab. If they are hungry enough, they WILL eat corals, so even when you get a new ricordia, it may end up eating that too. You're better off with snails, urchins, and stars for a CUC than crabs if you value your corals!

There are red varieties of emerald crabs. Mine at my baby plate corals. I would suggest you get rid of the crab. If they are hungry enough, they WILL eat corals, so even when you get a new ricordia, it may end up eating that too. You're better off with snails, urchins, and stars for a CUC than crabs if you value your corals!

I've actually had him for about 5 months now and he's been good, perfect actually - the first crab to eat bubble algae for me which was huge (I went through several previously last year.) :( He's okay, he just wanted a nice meal.. I really think he was picking the food out of the mouth of the ricordia. It's okay tho!

Just remember the name of species actually, they're called 'Ruby Red Mithrax crabs' :)

I've been having some reaaaaaaal sh*tty luck lately...

Woke up this morning to find my tank sitting at a bone chilling 71*F. I panicked, didn't know what to do so I pulled the heater out to check. I was able to hold the heater with my bare hands and couldn't feel any heat coming from it (even when cranked up to max, it was at 78*F previously.)

So, I rushed out to the LFS again. I do have some spare/ backup heaters but they're really bad. They do not display the temp. anywhere on them so it's a total guessing game and requires constant monitoring as it doesn't have an auto-off thermostat...

So I picked up a bigger 75W heater, same brand by MarineLand - I quite like this heater actually. I've got it set to 75*F to slowly bring things back up to temp.. Hoping by the end of the day today I can have it back to 77-78*F.

I have a few vacation booked for this summer so I'll have parents watching over the tank. I think I'll be picking up a new thermometer, one with a built in alarm function that tells you if it your temp. is in a danger zone.

Thanks been doing good otherwise. I think in the coming week I'll hopefully pickup some more corals, more ricordias!! :D

I had a dream last night that I had a 75G tank - but I only had my current stock in it. Woke up and was like omg I have a 75G I can buy some tangs... then immediately realized it was just a dream hahahaha!

Haha you don't think you could fit a tang in the spec? Maybe a great white shark instead... that would be pretty sweet haha.

Anyway if you can afford it I would get a cobalt neo therm heater. Its what I have and a great heater and its about $50-60 depending on your LFS. It displays the heater as well as your set temp. And its pretty sleek although it doesn't fit in the back chamber but I have it by the powerhead and its not too bad of an eye sore. I also recommend a controller if you can afford it. I love my apex and love being able to check on my tank from anywhere right from my phone. also... give us some update pictureeeessss! :lol:

Cameron6796

Wait you paid 30$ each for a few frags? Is that good? Because in Ontario we have a lot of cheaper frags that are relatively nice, Ricardia, sps, Lps by the head.

Day 421 (or 14 Months)

Blasto coral is doing good! Seems to be splitting with 3 separate heads on this frag, so awesome. I also really like how non-aggressive this coral is. You can see in this picture the zoa's have been slowly multiplying and growing right up beneath/ next to the blasto - fully touching it during the day. Neither appear to be upset, as you can tell! (to the bottom left corner of the blasto you can see a few zoa heads)

17716810516_1787b5d5ee_c.jpgIMG_8691 by Spencer, on Flickr

All of the ricordias are doing great. The newest one I've got (right side) is a little bit temperamental sometimes... I don't think it likes being walked on or picked at by the shrimp, but sometimes doesn't seem to respond at all..

17555357078_73d6cc088b_c.jpgIMG_8692 by Spencer, on Flickr

This is something I'm VERY excited to see.. my GSP is spreading. If you look closely just above the snails shell, there's new purple GPS roots spread and growing on that back wall. So happy.. can't wait to have more of this stuff. Super easy and I love the look under the Par30.

17743488141_cc099537f0_c.jpgIMG_8693 by Spencer, on Flickr

Blenny is doing great too, very healthy. It's been almost 3 months now, no white spots, no scaling, no flukes, ahhh I'm so pleased about this. I'm NOT feeding frozen mysis anymore, and everything has been good. I truly believe that the reason my clowns became sick was due to the food - the food may have contained something that made them sick. The LFS has a disclaimer on their fridges advising "not responsible blah blah blah"...

17122810513_435f5a00da_c.jpgIMG_8676 by Spencer, on Flickr

A new Halloween Hermit!! Regularly these guys are $19.99 at the LFS. Well, this new smaller (and so much more amazing) LFS I've been going to had them for $9 flat ea... picked one up!

17555335988_0470709d84_c.jpgIMG_8700 by Spencer, on Flickr

Frogspawn! This will be my .. 4th piece of euphyllia that I've owned. I've had a frog, hammer, and 2 torches... none of them lasted more than 3 months. This frag was $30, super good deal and very very healthy looking (from that same LFS.) I think my problem before was that I wasn't feeding the corals/ the tank enough and I was relying entirely on them as being photosynthetic filter feeders and taking from the pellets or mysis. I strong believe that does not work - and plan to be turkey basting this guy with reef roids every week. I'll let you know how it reacts. (The GSP goes crazy for it, my ric's love it too!)

17120642464_570b41c2ea_c.jpgIMG_8696 by Spencer, on Flickr

It's JUST been put in and has already come out that much... goes to show it's not overly stressed from the LFS. They take really good care in their DT's and in handling/ packaging for sale. Already it's gotten fatter!! I think the new 100gph pump is the perfect amount of flow for it right now too!!

Will update more soon!! :D

I've been looking for Acans now for months, none of the regular 4 LFS seem to be getting any. I woke up this morning and Googled "Coral Stores Nearby" .. discovered yet another a very small shop which was about 10 minutes away. I never knew this place existed.. I bet there's even more around that I'm unaware of.

Anyways, I headed down there earlier today. What did I stumbled upon? ........ Click the spoiler below, and then view the image full screen. Warning: You may want a napkin in-case you drool... (I did!)

11004584_435643803252450_321205051668467

Needless to say... I walked out of there with a pretty large bag... :lol: :lol: :lol:

18025577576_33216477bf_c.jpg

IMG_8932 by kijho6, on Flickr

Oh, he also threw in a somewhat small forgspawn head for $15. Beautiful color, it was very very plump for such a small single head. It's got a nice little home already.

Will post up some good pics once everything is opened :D

Archived