Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Custom NUVO 20 Fusion: New Stand

xiaoxiy

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my innovate marine reactor pumps hit the fan. I think that the back pressure from running it as a purigen reactor blew the motor.

Does anyone know where I can get ahold of a replacement pump/who I should contact to buy one?

On a side note, I'm seriously considering pulling phosguard and running a biopellet reactor with KNO3 dosing.

Grow, little plants, grow! I don't know why I can be so patient with corals but so impatient with plants. It's pretty much the same, really :lol:

Grow, little plants, grow! I don't know why I can be so patient with corals but so impatient with plants. It's pretty much the same, really :lol:

I get impatient cause I want to eat them!

5 days ago, I pulled my carbon, phosguard, and purigen reactors from my tank and swapped to biopellets + nitrate dosing (about 1 ppm a day). So far, my nitrates have been hovering at detectable levels (slightly above 0). My phosphate test is shot (seachem, reads 1ppm phosphate out as like 0 phosphate), so I haven't been able to monitor my phosphate levels. I plan on getting a hanna LR soon though.

Visually, I think my corals are enjoying the extra nutrients in the tank. Everything has great extension, and I'm color is coming back to all my bleached corals. My browned out sps are also developing a hint of purple, and their fluorescence is getting more intense too! Algae wise, I still am dealing with a green cyano (chemi-clean I dosed 1 month ago did NOTHING to it), but it seems to be receding. The patchy spots of hair algae seems to also be receding.

what's the name of your restaurant?

The Medical School Fund

Where's the tank?

As I mentioned, 3 weeks ago I pulled my Carbon, Purigen and Phosguard reactors from the tank because one of my reactor pumps died.

When that happened, I took a step back and took a hard look at things. Over the past 6 months, my coral had bleached significantly, and that I had gotten no growth on anything. Originally, I thought it was that I was photo-bleaching things by running my lights @100%, but I realized that I had been running no measurable nitrates or phosphates in my tank. In other words, I might have been photobleaching AND nutrient starving my tank.

At that point, I said screw it. And decided to try nitrate dosing with biopellets. Right now, the only export I have on my tank is biopellets, a skimmer, and water changes. I also upped my feedings significantly. <-Looking back, this combo was quite dangerous as I could have easily overloaded my system and ended with a huge nutrient influx.

As of right now, I've been trying to run my nitrates at about 5ppm. In order to maintain I readable nitrate level, I need to occasionally dose nitrates, about 1ppm every 3 days, or they drop back down to an undetectable level, even with the increased feedings. Unfortunately I ran out of phosphate test reagents, so I haven't been able to get a phosphate reading yet. I plan on getting a hanna LR phosphate checker sometime soon.

Interestingly, running my tank at higher nutrient levels has not led to an massive algae bloom. In fact, the cyano seems to be backing off a bit, and the few scattered patches of hair algae in my tank hasn't grown or spread.

Visually, my corals have been coloring up and seem happier. Zoas that I had bleached out over the course of 6 months are regaining their color, and are now sprouting out new heads. My acro-frags, that had also bleached completely, initially took on a brown hue but at the same time have started to color back up too. My euphyllia, which were slowly turning clear and withering away, have expanded back out.

Unfortunately, not everything has been super positive. My red monticap started STNing on me and I had to frag it up. Unfortunately, the frags are still slowly STNing.

I'll post pictures and update in a month when everything settles in and stabilizes.

• 2 weeks later...

Herp a ####### derp. I noticed Saturday that one of my small SPS frags had begun to RTN, but I decided to keep it in the tank still in hopes that it would recover. When I looked at my tank today, a branch of my acro colony had begun STNing. I broke it off immediately and removed the other STNing frag out of my tank. What's frustrating is the rest of the colony seems quite happy, with full polyp extension.

Here's to hoping that the STN doesn't spread.

I ran a water parameter test, and here's what I got.

Alk - 9dkH

Calcium - 420ppm

Mg - 1400 ppm

pH - 8.5

Nitrates - about 1 ppm

Still no phosphate test yet.

####.

OK! GOT A PHOSPHATE READING. 1st off, I'm an idiot and was only using half the water I needed for the test reaction, thus my 1ppm standard was off.

I made a dilution series just to be sure of my reading. I'm sitting at below 0.05ppm phosphate (lowest resolution of my test kit).

Could I be starving my SPS even though I have GHA growing (although the GHA is pretty pale and whitish)?

Sorry to hear about the SPS!

Sounds like not enough nutrients to me, but I'm not an SPS whisperer like some here on NR.

Archived