11331334556_931b5924b8_b.jpg

FTS Dec. 8, 2013

11280336294_694753fed4_b.jpg

FTS Nov. 24, 2013

11038955225_20a6d768f3_o.jpg

FTS Nov. 15, 2013

10876512864_dac851c67c_o.jpg
10876511184_86eb5180bd_o.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allure > Enchantment > Spell > Hex > Hexagon :P

For the past couple weeks I've been debating downsizing my tank. I got into a bit more than I could handle with the 40b, due to the cost of maintaining it I was slacking pretty hard and some livestock paid the price. Most notably, I let the nitrates get far too high and I lost some coral. Money is tight and buying WC water has been difficult.

...So this is what happened...

A few days ago the hex was a brackish tank. Traded the fish for a couple mexican turbo snails.

10863602433_55d32dbf81_b.jpg
10863604773_89ff93cf57_b.jpg
10863312796_85be482559_b.jpg
10863274955_596d098cfd_b.jpg
10863614473_94a206e18d_b.jpg

10863281715_6697fe0432_b.jpg
10863325466_5ddf0f82f7_b.jpg
10863329696_7de30d0d2c_b.jpg

10863438404_cd3a0fb867_b.jpg

10863442034_76a695c567_b.jpg
10863635373_cd87da5ffb_b.jpg
10863344396_f2d6cfc560_b.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Breaking down the 40
Into the hex.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~Parts~
10 gallon hexagon tank
Cash register counter stand (even with handy dandy slide out keyboard tray)
LEDTRIC par38 full spectrum
OCReef par38 full spectrum
DIY 1 1/4" pvc overflow
Taam Rio Plus 1400 return pump
Aquatop 150w heater

DIY 15 gallon sump with refugium

30-40lbs of live rock total between DT an fuge

CFL floodlight for refugium light a.k.a. caulerpa growing beast

Koralia 240

3/4" return line

~Fishes~

Diadema dottyback (in the fuge) --no longer with us--

Triple misbar Ocellaris

Picasso Percula

Green Chromis (going to be rehoused)

Citron clown goby

~Inverts~

Two baby emerald crabs

Pompom crab

Assorted red and blue leg hermits

Nerite snails

Nassarius snails

Two zebra snails, one in DT, one in fuge

Astraea snails

Cerith snails

Dwarf cerith snails

Asterina star

Two rock flower anemones

Green BTA

Sebae anemone

~Coral~

Assorted zoas

Assorted paly

Red pimply lobo

Blue/green smooth lobo

Unknown SPS

Blasto

Colt leather

Cabbage leather

Trumpet

Chalice

Yuma mushrooms

Generic red mushrooms

Green star polyps

Blue clove polyps

Chili coral

Anthelia (fuge)

~Macros~

Bryothamnion sp.(DT)

Caulerpa sp. (fuge)

Cotton candy (fuge)

LOTS OF GHA (fuge)

~Wishlist for the tank~

SCA-301 skimmer

Kessil A360W

Bigger sump

Just so you know, scaping a hex is DIFFICULT! Especially when all of your larger rocks are encrusted!

Oh and the overflow isn't that loud. My phone greatly amplifies it.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks!

I'm very pleased with how it turned out. Now I feel like I have an actual reef tank again instead of a big box with a few rocks and fish in it. I love how up close and personal smaller tanks are. Just feels right.

Thanks!

I'm very pleased with how it turned out. Now I feel like I have an actual reef tank again instead of a big box with a few rocks and fish in it. I love how up close and personal smaller tanks are. Just feels right.

Looks so much fuller too! I would downgrade if I didn't have like 100 fish.

Ha yeah. Technically I'm horribly overstocked now but I'll be making some cuts. The engineer didn't go in this tank and if I can ever catch it the chromis is coming out.

I was planning on putting at least one of the fish in the fuge during the move. Just so happened that the dottyback was hiding in a rock I put down there so it made the decision for me. I kinda wanted that one in the DT. :(

You might have just made me a believer in the hex! Looks great!

Thanks! I've always liked the hex tank. I bought it for a specific purpose but the entire time I've had it I've wanted to set up a reef or display fuge in it.

I love my hex. Space saving and different from the every day cubes.

Yep. I was a bit shocked at how difficult it was to scape the thing. I had a vision in my head before I started but apparently my spatial recognition is BAD and things just didn't fit like I thought they would.

I think if I ever do upgrade again it'll be another hex.

Scape looks great, hides the pipe mostly and I see a ton of caves for the fish. I would be tempted to add a pygmy wrasse with all those caves if you already weren't over your limit in fish.

With my fuge I could handle another small fish no problem. I have plenty of biological filtration, but it would definitely need to be something that requires very little swimming space. That's why I need to lose the chromis, it just isn't fair keeping that kind of fish in this kind of tank, even though the chromis is only an inch. The clowns and citron sure, those fish basically find a spot and sit there.

You should have seen the clowns when I put them in. Swam right down to the bottom and got in the corner, same thing they did in the 40. <_<

I'm hoping to have some more growth now. My lighting seems to have visually covered the 40b, but I had practically no growth out of a lot of coral. I'm thinking even though it looked covered the actual PAR just wasn't there. We'll see.

With my fuge I could handle another small fish no problem. I have plenty of biological filtration, but it would definitely need to be something that requires very little swimming space. That's why I need to lose the chromis, it just isn't fair keeping that kind of fish in this kind of tank, even though the chromis is only an inch. The clowns and citron sure, those fish basically find a spot and sit there.

You should have seen the clowns when I put them in. Swam right down to the bottom and got in the corner, same thing they did in the 40. <_<

Oh, I forgot about the fuge. Derp. Get a pygmy wrasse

I have been lucky. I have 3 clowns, one I have had for 4? years now and they swim all over. I have never seen the sit in one spot behavior a lot of people talk about.

I'm hoping to have some more growth now. My lighting seems to have visually covered the 40b, but I had practically no growth out of a lot of coral. I'm thinking even though it looked covered the actual PAR just wasn't there. We'll see.

I was actually thinking the par/lighting prob went up.

Oh, I forgot about the fuge. Derp. Get a pygmy wrasse

I have been lucky. I have 3 clowns, one I have had for 4? years now and they swim all over. I have never seen the sit in one spot behavior a lot of people talk about.

I was actually thinking the par/lighting prob went up.

The wrasse will be something to look at in the future. Need a new job before I can do anything like that.

I ran the bulbs with no optics over the 40b, have them on now so they're focused straight down the tank. I may end up having to raise them if anything starts bleaching. Either that or just run one bulb.

That Hex looks AWESOME!!! :D

Thanks! I'll get a bunch more pics tomorrow and probably a new video as well.

Nice twist on the hex! Btw did you ever figure out what those alien eggs were?

Nope. I linked it in Albert's thread, haven't checked it yet though.

Really sorry about it being so shaky, I don't exactly have steady hands these days lol.

I wish I could get a true color pic or video for you guys. It really isn't as dark and blue as the pics make it out to be. It's actually pretty bright and much whiter than what you see.

How do I take perrrdy pics like that!?

HTC Vivid phone flashed with a custom 4.0.4 rom and flashed with a custom higher quality camera. That and tweak the settings a little to compensate for the leds. Saturation, sharpness and exposure down one notch, white balance on cloudy.

That last pic is the only one I've edited. Just adjusted the level and some saturation in Photoshop.

"In your face!" I love it! Not going to lose anything in that lil guy!

Yep! That's what I love about small tanks. I've missed it. :)

Archived