Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tamberav's 40 Breeder

Tamberav

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JoeDigiorgio

That was likely aggression due to hunger. In my experience new mandarins squabble before they take to eating regularly. I've never had problems with two fat healthy mandarins of different species, even two males (of different species)

That was likely aggression due to hunger. In my experience new mandarins squabble before they take to eating regularly. I've never had problems with two fat healthy mandarins of different species, even two males (of different species)

My new spotted squabbles a bit, nothing like that though but he is new. He's not skinny but not obese yet. Hmmm...

I think I'm going to forgo the spotted pair and stick with a blue male and a red female. My spotted is just way to hyper and crazy while my blue is docile and lazy.

I also found this video and wouldn't want this to happen:

Love all the lame noobs in the comments HA!

A bit more clear pics I took before the DIATOMS settled in, can't wait to get the ugly heater/bag out of there and get the top skimming so all that nasty stuff isn't there. The return pump should arrive tomorrow.

DSC_0568_zpse13bf44f.jpg

DSC_0569_zpsc6661204.jpg

DSC_0570_zps5cf4fbb9.jpg

DIATOMSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, I hate how my hubby is like "WHY IS YOUR TANK ALL BROWN? IT'S UGLY!" :wacko::furious: It will go awayyy I promisseeee.. new tank syndrome!

Pics of one of the new crabs:

crab1_zps9ea111e7.jpg

crab2_zpsf7b2543f.jpg

crab3_zpsd1131c42.jpg

Low end zoa's I tossed in:

zoa2_zps874452c9.jpg

zoa1_zps2019d058.jpg

Green-banded:

goby_zps1eae18e2.jpg

are you having any problems keeping 2 males or 2 females together?

Two males

The new male is a butthead, nothing like that video though. He's new though so he's not obese yet, hoping he just needs time to fatten up. He doesn't chase my blue. Just starts a flaring contest when they end up on the same rock.

Are yours ORA?

No, both wild. My LFS's won't order anything... they suck. The fact I found a healthy spotted at one is a miracle. He was eating frozen on his own without training and survived at the LFS while all the others perished.

This tank is now plumbed into my main DT, I went ahead and moved the mandy's over after dosing some pods. They are all slow swimmers.. until they see a net and suddenly they are bullets!

I have to say watching the mandy's tell each other off looks cool.... They both fully flare up fully macho like... then sort of hover in a circle and then one moves on and that's that.

This tank is now plumbed into my main DT, I went ahead and moved the mandy's over after dosing some pods. They are all slow swimmers.. until they see a net and suddenly they are bullets!

I have to say watching the mandy's tell each other off looks cool.... They both fully flare up fully macho like... then sort of hover in a circle and then one moves on and that's that.

Love to see some pics of the plumbing between the 2 aquariums. The videos you posted would worry me that the same thing would happen between your two mandy's. Sometimes it is a gamble when adding fish and sometimes there is an exception to the rule. Looking forward to hearing the progress.

Love to see some pics of the plumbing between the 2 aquariums. The videos you posted would worry me that the same thing would happen between your two mandy's. Sometimes it is a gamble when adding fish and sometimes there is an exception to the rule. Looking forward to hearing the progress.

I will take some pics but its nothing fancy trust me. I was feeling ultra lazy so went with spa flex so I wouldn't need to cut/measure and figure out how many 45 degree turns.

You are going to have to forgive the mess. This is a slow process. I am planning to put a cabinet between the tanks to hold all the power strips, dials and nobs and tidy everything up. Also both tanks will be skinned with wood. However I live in an apt and my tools consist of a hand saw, some screw drivers, needle nose, and a shit load of zip ties. It is like the red green show in my house.. only I use zip ties instead of duct tape.

I spoke with my parents a few days ago since they have the skillzzz and power tools and they plan on helping me get the ball rolling on skinning/cabinet when I visit next weekend.

Ghetto net top taped over it until I make one:

DSC_0618_zps36d66383.jpg

DSC_0613_zps76e25f56.jpg

I plan on replacing the return piping with one of these:

41%2BoSw2FCML._SY450_.jpg

Piping running across, I plan to put the cabinet here to help hide it and it is a convenient spot anyways. I didn't want the hex directly in front of the window, that's why I spaced them apart.

DSC_0614_zps713105c0.jpg

Pile of cords and battery backup laying where the cabinet goes.

DSC_0615_zpsc7b1bcdc.jpg

Sump to be covered with a wooden skin:

DSC_0616_zps3d855ea3.jpg

I love me some zip ties!

DSC_0617_zpsd621125b.jpg

WHy have i not seen your thread before? And you met Matt Pederson? :angry:

It is a fairly new thread and yeah... a few times. I mean.. he lives like 10 min away sooo :) He's a great help!

Love the giant coral skeleton, it has a great shape for corals

Thanks, lots of flat areas and such. It is old.. was probably collected when that sort of thing was still legal, maybe it was even alive :unsure:

You should try to cop one of those red, like the really red scooters that pop up on divers den every so often!

I plan on it.. there was a beautiful male up today I could have got but sometimes they put up pairs so I held off. I have even seen them list pairs that they stated were eating frozen.

Doing good?

Doing great, mandy's both ate tonight without ANYTHING to bother them and.. they both had beer bellys after.

Archived