Cultivated Reef

NanoreefNate's 20G Peninsula! So much change. New FTS!

nanoreefnate

Current FTS November 2013:

11061997185_7255529ed6_h.jpg
So after a 3-4 year hiatus from reefing, I started volunteering at the California Academy of Sciences Steinhart Aquarium about 3 months ago. This rekindled my enthusiasm about reefing so I decided to setup another nano. I still have two fish from my 12G, 46G and 75G tanks, a wild caught Ocellaris clown and a Pajama Cardinal, which have been through a lot in the five years and three previous iterations of my reef career. They are now being housed in a 20G FOWLR tank. Anyways enough of the history here's the DL on the new 20G reef

The Hardware:

• Aqueon 20 Gallon Glass aquarium
  • Aqueon 10 Gallon Glass sump with DIY baffles
  • Kessil A150W Sky Blue (10,000K) LED
  • Ecotech Vortech MP10 ES W
  • Tunze 9002 internal protein skimmer
  • Eshopps PF-Nano overflow box (airline tube mod)
  • Sicce 1.5 return pump
  • Eheim Jager 100W heater
  • ReefBrite Mini Mag LED (refugium light)

The Livestock:

Fish

• Sustainable Aquatics Fancy Snowflake
  • Helfrichi Firefish
  • Green Mandarin Dragonette
  • Cherub Pygmy Angelfish
  • Chalk Basslet

Inverts

• Four ATL Red Mini Carpet Anemone
  • One T. Maxima Clam
  • One Speckled Rose Bubble Tip Anemone
  • Two Money Cowries
  • Two Cleaner Shrimp
  • Seven Nassarius Snails
  • Nine Cerith Snails
  • Hitchhiker Bivalve

Corals

SPS

• Tyree Blue Polyp Montipora
  • Tyree Original California Tortuosa
  • Tyree LE Ponape Birdsnest Seriatopora
  • Tyree Montipora Undata
  • Tyree Tricolor Valida
  • Tyree Idaho Grape Montipora
  • Tyree Leng Sy Montipora
  • ORA Hawkins Echinata
  • ORA Red Planet Hyacinthus
  • Steve Mac Blue Tip Green Staghorn
  • Blue Tenuis (Neptune Aquatics)
  • Blue Tortuosa (Neptune Aquatics)
  • Montipora Setosa (Neptune Aquatics)
  • Solomon Islands Blue Tortuosa (Baja Reef)
  • Seasons Greetings Montipora

LPS

• Orange Sunrise Plate Fungia
  • Jack-O-Lantern Leptoseris
  • Lucid Dreams Acan Lordhowensis
  • Two Rainbow Acan Lordhowensis
  • Green Acan Lordhowensis
  • Green Frogspawn Euphyllia
  • War Coral Favites

Soft Coral

• ATL Fire and Ice Zoanthid
  • Blue Hornet Zoanthid
  • Tubbs Blue Zoanthid
  • Rasta Zoanthid
  • Sunny Delight Zoanthid
  • Pearlberry Zoanthid
  • LC Hawaiian Sunset Zoanthid
  • Pink Zoanthid Colony (Baja Reef)
  • Green Palyotha Colony
  • Blue Ricordea
  • Green/Yellow Ricordea

Here's some shots of the tank. It's been up for about 3 weeks now with the protein skimmer having been placed in the tank about 2 days ago (thus the diatoms.) Rocks have coralline algae still on them because I kept my sump portion of the 75G running until just before I put up the 20G, allowing the two 5 year old fish and the Paly colony to survive. Xenia was a recent purchase. Excuse the Diatoms. :P

Side Tank Shot:
8277063136_b26e0e355e_b.jpg
SideTankShot by NMB.Photography, on Flickr

Front Tank Shot:
8276003451_5276383e3d_b.jpg
FrontTankShot by NMB.Photography, on Flickr

One of the Clowns:
8277062500_c7f1f3bef5_b.jpg
Clownfish by NMB.Photography, on Flickr

The Palys:
8277062392_c6c3ef72db_b.jpg
Palyothas by NMB.Photography, on Flickr

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome back! I see potential here... And a bunch of Ceriths in your near future. :)

I would raise the Kessil up a little and/or shift it slightly to the left, if possible, to get good coverage of the entire rock.

Welcome back! I see potential here... And a bunch of Ceriths in your near future. :)

I would raise the Kessil up a little and/or shift it slightly to the left, if possible, to get good coverage of the entire rock.

Thanks! Yeah I need to get a CUC from Reef Cleaners. :P

I also need to get a gooseneck holder for the kessil because the egg crate created weird shadows. -_-

Thanks! Yeah I need to get a CUC from Reef Cleaners. :P

I also need to get a gooseneck holder for the kessil because the egg crate created weird shadows. -_-

Ohh it's on eggcrate! I was wondering how it was suspended. B)

Ohh it's on eggcrate! I was wondering how it was suspended. B)

Eggcrate? who said eggcrate? My kessil has secret levitation powers. :wizard:

:haha:

I'd like to get some opinions on if I should add a 10G sump/fuge to the system, especially since that Tunze skimmer takes up a ton of space in the tank.

Well, nobody is going to say "no, don't do it!" Sumps are always a good idea. :) Especially with a fuge on reverse cycle, IMO.

True, I did use to run a reverse cycle fuge+sump on my 75G. Worked well back then. The only thing is that a 10G is a little tight for a sump+fuge configuration.

I have a 5.5g sump with a fuge running reverse cycle, and you thought a 10g was a tight fit..

5.5??? Now that IS small. Do you have a skimmer in that little thing too?

You saw my dual 12s. That's a 10g sump - you can see some pics on page 20 I believe. It's tight but I have enough room for a skimmer like yours (actually decided against it because I need macro food :) ) and a decent size fuge...

You saw my dual 12s. That's a 10g sump - you can see some pics on page 20 I believe. It's tight but I have enough room for a skimmer like yours (actually decided against it because I need macro food :) ) and a decent size fuge...

I guess it's time for me to grab some more glass and silicone from Lowes eh?

:ninja:

HOLY BEJESUS IT'S HACOB! omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

Looks like a good start!

Is that the 10k Kessil or did you white balance the photo? Looks way less blue than my 15k...

Thanks! It is PS'd to make the images warmer but it is also a 10K kessil. I just like white light i guess. :P

And an Update on the tank, Diatoms are slowly going away! :D

I have a DIY fuge on a reverse cycle with chaeto, live rock, sand and a million copepods. :) It is about 5 gallons now (started out as a 2 gallon) and it has helped stabilize the pH in the 12G JBJ Nano Cube. I have a link to the DIY process on my tank thread linked to my sig.

Great start on the livestock: Love all of it.

• 3 weeks later...
nanoreefnate

Tank update: I've added a purple/green acropora, purple montipora, frogspawn, and green bubble anemone to the tank. They are all doing well in the tank. Diatoms have been gone for about two weeks now. FTS to come! :D

nanoreefnate

An anemone already Nate ;)?

Yessir. I actually got it two weeks ago... Went to Disney and came back and it was alright. I think that since all my rocks still have coralline and were really "alive" with pods and worms and such, that helped in being able to introduce livestock much faster than one would with normal uncycled or dry rock.

So I hear you're coming down to San Francisco eh? Christina say y'all will be visiting the Academy of Sciences. I'm gonna ask my supervisor on Thursday if I can give you guys a behind the scenes tour ;)

nanoreefnate

Nate! wuzzz up!! looking good :)

Hey G2E! Thanks! :D

True true, so where are the pictures of it??

I am! That would be super cool Nate!

Here's the FTS. Close ups of corals to come! I changed up the rockwork so that I could get more space for SPS. I took my green paly rock out and just put a small frag of it at a lower area in the aquascape.

8363111814_119188a0b7_b.jpg

Be sure to bring your camera ;)

Archived