Top Shelf Aquatics

TheKleinReef

Test results for fun:

Calcium: 425

Alk: 7.3

Mag: 1200

General Updates:

• elegance, plate, and brain were all moved to the frag tank for cleaner, less toxin filled water.
  • everything else is beginning to look 10x better than before.
  • radion is now 85% power at 12K, then switches to 14 around 4pm
  • both clams responded well to the light change.
  • 2 cups of carbon are being run passively
  • planning ways to kill ALL OF THE XENIA.
  • Like 1
TheKleinReef

Alrighty its time to plan some fish stocking. I really want a fish that stands out. something awesome.

my plan is to ditch the damsel and the banded shrimp (if anybody wants either i'll sell them cheap <$10.

here's the list of fish i have:

2 o. clowns

1 flame angel

1 yellowtail damsel (will be removed)

but here's a list of fish i like:

potter's angel (gold or blue)

golden angel

leopard wrasse

chalk bass

longnose hawkfish

starry blenny ( a pair would be cool)

if anyone is familiar with these fish, lemme know if some can co-exist in a 65g

• Like 1

I'd reconsider that combination of dwarf angels. They're almost complete opposite of each other in temperament and behavior, but similar enough in size, pattern, and coloration where they'll go after one another.

Potters are bold and inquisitive fish that have no issues adapting to bright lights. The golden on the other hand is more cryptic and prefers less rambunctious fish with plenty of nooks and crannies.

Having kept both of them, I'd say that you'd end up with a battered potters and a golden that's pushing green star polyps.

• Like 2
TheKleinReef

I'd reconsider that combination of dwarf angels. They're almost complete opposite of each other in temperament and behavior, but similar enough in size, pattern, and coloration where they'll go after one another.

Potters are bold and inquisitive fish that have no issues adapting to bright lights. The golden on the other hand is more cryptic and prefers less rambunctious fish with plenty of nooks and crannies.

Having kept both of them, I'd say that you'd end up with a battered potters and a golden that's pushing green star polyps.

I don't want all 3. Those are just my favorites. But Awesome input. Thanks. I'm a dwarf angel fan but I guess 1 is the limit. What about the others fish choices?

• Like 1

golden angel

leopard wrasse - Find one that eats before purchasing. Also, have some sand handy (if going BB, then stick some in a container that you can tuck in the back of the rockwork. Cover for tank.

chalk bass - Good choice. I wouldn't keep one with small shrimps/crabs. Watch out for pinched stomach.

longnose hawkfish

starry blenny ( a pair would be cool) - cool if you can find a bonded pair.

I don't want all 3. Those are just my favorites. But Awesome input. Thanks. I'm a dwarf angel fan but I guess 1 is the limit. What about the others fish choices?

Rest looks fine. I added some comments above.

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

Tank is gonna be ordered this friday! :D

Random pics just for fun

A3F77B12-BC21-4E5C-8608-8A7F9FAF642B-240

2952E538-F04E-4B4A-945B-06F51231AD4C-240

my mille, which never gets a lot of attention

0E9FAF6B-7C23-4387-B8F9-DC2F0133C17E-240

mah clamsssss

4AF6D04B-D8CC-4BD8-B430-8E9E739D44C2-240

3577064A-0A90-4B70-9C5D-5F6C326BF0DB-240

B110B04E-D5A6-471A-8BA4-BE545615D621-240

every soft coral / aptasia you see will die by fire....

705D0234-FC5E-4742-8EE3-0B652C70B5CD-240

• Like 2

golden angel

leopard wrasse

chalk bass

longnose hawkfish

starry blenny ( a pair would be cool)

As has been stated, dwarf angel fish don't usually co exist very well. The Chalk Basslet is a good choice, because in my experience they don't get as aggressive when they're larger like a Royal Gramma or a Black Cap Basslet will. Longnose Hawkfish are really interesting to watch, they kind of perch on rocks and just watch you. You need to be careful with any inverts though (shrimp and crabs) because they will kill things much larger than themselves.

I've never had a Leopard Wrasse but when I worked part time at my LFS they were often the first fish in each shipment that would die. Getting them eating was problematic and they need a deeper sand bed so that they can bury themselves. However, with any fish, doing research on compatibility, diet and habitat needs can give you a much better chance of success.

I'm excited to see how your stand turns out, I like the idea of matching existing furniture. :)

TheKleinReef

As has been stated, dwarf angel fish don't usually co exist very well. The Chalk Basslet is a good choice, because in my experience they don't get as aggressive when they're larger like a Royal Gramma or a Black Cap Basslet will. Longnose Hawkfish are really interesting to watch, they kind of perch on rocks and just watch you. You need to be careful with any inverts though (shrimp and crabs) because they will kill things much larger than themselves.

I've never had a Leopard Wrasse but when I worked part time at my LFS they were often the first fish in each shipment that would die. Getting them eating was problematic and they need a deeper sand bed so that they can bury themselves. However, with any fish, doing research on compatibility, diet and habitat needs can give you a much better chance of success.

I'm excited to see how your stand turns out, I like the idea of matching existing furniture. :)

i found the new fish. a juvenille 3" leopard wrasse. she eats frozen and acclimated nicely to the 29g tank life. i asked for the LFS to put it on hold for me until after the upgrade, but they said no. and to be honest i don't trust my LFS with keeping it for the next month...

i took some sweet pictures of the new fish, i'll post them when they're cropped and editied.

TheKleinReef

July FTS: first time with a DLSR

http://s147.photobucket.com/user/roger_090/media/FTS-july.jpg.html'>FTS-july.jpg

my very first coral, the monster torch:

http://s147.photobucket.com/user/roger_090/media/torch.jpg.html'>torch.jpg

New Leopard Wrasse. Dirty Glass that i scrubbed for at least 10min but couldn't clean it 100%

http://s147.photobucket.com/user/roger_090/media/wrasse-1.jpg.html'>wrasse-1.jpg

zippin' around!

http://s147.photobucket.com/user/roger_090/media/wrasse-2.jpg.html'>wrasse-2.jpg

• Like 3

Awww she's cute! That's great that you found one eating reliably. I can't wait to see what you do with this 65g, the dimensions are really cool.

TheKleinReef

Awww she's cute! That's great that you found one eating reliably. I can't wait to see what you do with this 65g, the dimensions are really cool.

The plan is minimal rock with 1 main island for sps to grow up and out. The other will be a small zoanthid garden. LPS will be around the base of the larger mountain. I'm not sure about the clams yet...

• Like 1

Beautiful! The pictures are great.

Name her something flamboyant. She is so colorful and her pattern is perfect.

IDK Maybe after a super model like Veruschka or Yasmeen.

TheKleinReef

Beautiful! The pictures are great.

Name her something flamboyant. She is so colorful and her pattern is perfect.

IDK Maybe after a super model like Veruschka or Yasmeen.

Those are too flamboyant. Haha it's gotta be simple yet elegant.

TheKleinReef

Wrasse Update:

I decided on a name! I've committed to Luna. (until she turns male lol). i named her after Luna Lovegood from harry potter. :P

anyways, she's eating pellets and frozen but i noticed when she eats pellets some dust comes out of her mouth/gills. should i assume she's not eatting fully and supplement with some frozen mysis? or force her to eat the pellets. or feed more pellets? i'm trying to avoid feeding 100% frozen becasue it makes my water quality drop. i'm having a diatom outbreak becasue of it. it's going away quickly though...

any advice would be appreciated.

in a more general light:

Ca: n/a

Alk: 7.0

Mg: 1300 (gonna dose today, i haven't dosed it in 2.5 weeks)

Radion: 12K (50%) to 14K (85%) peak to 18K (70%) evening to night.

why are the percents so high you ask?

i have my radion about 13" off the water, so i need the penetration. SPS seem colorful, as to the LPS. so the 85% isn't burning anything. :)

pics later maybe..