Coral Vue Hydros

Paigee's 20L Extravaganza!

Paigee

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ethan :D

And everyone - when I do the vinegar/water bath on the dry rock, do I need to put a powerhead in there too? Or could I just throw them in a Rubbermaid tote and let them sit for a few weeks? I'm scheming to let them soak while I finish my semester so they're ready when I am :D

If you want fast, use a power head. Since you're waiting until the end of the semester, I would just soak them and change out the mix every two weeks or so without a powerhead.

Hi Ethan :D

Hi! I've never done that. Sorry. I assume that's to kill everyone on the rock to start over with clean, dead rock?

So I'm debating how I can try and save some of the positive stuff out of my LR without transferring it to my new tank, and I came up with the idea of FW dipping the rock with a large net underneath so that any pods or anything that scurry out would go in the net, and I would immediately lift them into the new 20L.

Does that sound like it would work? I also created a separate thread for this question here.

I'm mainly looking to save pods out of the rock, because using dead rock will eliminate all pods, and the fish I want / have graze on pods - although Gilbert does get a healthy portion of NLS pellets every day or so. But all the prospective fish on my list graze on pods.

To continue with my train of thought posting here - bangaii cardinal. Boom. Possibly instead of a Rainford's/Hector's goby, because I fear it would starve to death.

bangaii cardinals are striking!!!!!!! LOVE that idea :)

I started with all dry rock...but have plenty of pods in my tank. They make it in there on frags. I also seeded with a small piece of live rock. I think your net idea would work for the large pods. Though you may not want those big ones!!!!!

bangaii cardinals are striking!!!!!!! LOVE that idea :)

I started with all dry rock...but have plenty of pods in my tank. They make it in there on frags. I also seeded with a small piece of live rock. I think your net idea would work for the large pods. Though you may not want those big ones!!!!!

I agree, I think I'm gonna go with one for sure. They're beautiful! I think they're underrated cuz they aren't super colourful.

I'll see what I can do.. I'm so indecisive with this stupid rock business.

I agree, I think I'm gonna go with one for sure. They're beautiful! I think they're underrated cuz they aren't super colourful.

I'll see what I can do.. I'm so indecisive with this stupid rock business.

Funny enough...the super bright colorful saltwater fish don't do it for me as much as the striking combination of black and white fish. It's why I have my B/W clownfish and why I love the domino damsel, 3 and 4 stripes, and bangaii's so much :happy: I'm sure there are other b/w fish, but those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

My mom is all about the colour! :P We were going to set up a tank in our new condo, but decided not to. But while we were planning, she was looking at all the electric coloured fish :)

My mom is all about the colour! :P We were going to set up a tank in our new condo, but decided not to. But while we were planning, she was looking at all the electric coloured fish :)

I definitely couldn't have a tank with only black and white fish. I'd need a splash of color :happy:

I think I'm now leaning towards my firefish, a bangaii cardinal, and if I can get one, a pink streaked (aka cryptic six line) wrasse for the 20L.

Sound good? :D

Another question for you all - how would I go about making a screen cover if I want to have an AC running on the back? I was thinking of buying the screen making kit off BRS or something

nyknicks4412
Another question for you all - how would I go about making a screen cover if I want to have an AC running on the back? I was thinking of buying the screen making kit off BRS or something

I made a screen cover to for mine that I can take a picture of for you later! It has a lot of twists and turns in to accommodate a hob skimmer, ac70, and light clamp so it is definitely possible. Just having to avoid the ac70 is easy. Just buy a few extra turn pieces and go around it.

You could also go with light diffuser like I did, that's so easy to make even a failure at DIY such as myself had no trouble with it.

I think I'm now leaning towards my firefish, a bangaii cardinal, and if I can get one, a pink streaked (aka cryptic six line) wrasse for the 20L.

Sound good? :D

Sounds EXCELLENT!!!! I can't wait to see the wrasse!!!! After seeing them, I really want one. I'll just enjoy yours for now :happy:

helfrichi_1%202.jpg

Haha they're pretty! But I don't get it? :o

I made a screen cover to for mine that I can take a picture of for you later! It has a lot of twists and turns in to accommodate a hob skimmer, ac70, and light clamp so it is definitely possible. Just having to avoid the ac70 is easy. Just buy a few extra turn pieces and go around it.

That would be awesome if you had a pic! That's kind of what I was thinking, a few extra elbow pieces and just go around the filter.

You could also go with light diffuser like I did, that's so easy to make even a failure at DIY such as myself had no trouble with it.

What is a light diffuser? I know it is some kind of screen, but how is it different?

Sounds EXCELLENT!!!! I can't wait to see the wrasse!!!! After seeing them, I really want one. I'll just enjoy yours for now :happy:

Now I just have to find one! Emailed one LFS so far, waiting on a response before I email another... They take too long to reply!

It's rigid plastic:

Yup4e.jpg

So you just use pliers or tin snips or whatever to cut it out and since it's rigid it's really easy to cut perfectly square, it won't sag, and you can easily cut openings for your filters/cords/etc.

You can get about 8 square feet at a hardware store for about $5usd.

It's rigid plastic:

Yup4e.jpg

So you just use pliers or tin snips or whatever to cut it out and since it's rigid it's really easy to cut perfectly square, it won't sag, and you can easily cut openings for your filters/cords/etc.

You can get about 8 square feet at a hardware store for about $5usd.

But don't you think that looks a little unsightly? :P

The firefish are so always so pretty. But, they always look angry :lol:

They do have a somewhat grumpy quality, but it's cute :D

Archived